Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Addresses 'Mac Defender' Threat With Security Update 2011-003 for Snow Leopard

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released Security Update 2011-003 (Snow Leopard), a new software update that addresses the "Mac Defender" malware that has been afflicting Mac users over the past month.
- Malware removal

Available for: Mac OS X v10.6.7, Mac OS X Server v10.6.7

Impact: Remove the MacDefender malware if detected

Description: The installation process for this update will search for and remove known variants of the MacDefender malware. If a known variant was detected and removed, the user will be notified via an alert after the update is installed.
The update weighs in at 2.36 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Article Link: Apple Addresses 'Mac Defender' Threat With Security Update 2011-003 for Snow Leopard

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
While i dont know the actual threat of his particular 'malware', I think apple needs to do a lot better than this in future. Such hot fixes need to be available within a couple of days max. If i wanted to use a virus/malware prone PC for weeks, i'd have simply opted for a windows machine instead of the mac!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
While i dont know the actual threat of his particular 'malware', I think apple needs to do a lot better than this in future. Such hot fixes need to be available within a couple of days max. If i wanted to use a virus/malware prone PC for weeks, i'd have simply opted for a windows machine instead of the mac!

And it should be available for 10.5 as well.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
That's good that Apple addressed the issue, Windows updates for this type of thing seem to never happen.

Last edited:

Chris Grande

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
This security update also makes the system automatically and in the background update the File Quarantine definitions daily.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2011
Maybe then learn what the actual threat is, and then you might realise why Apple didn't respond with the level of urgency you suggest.

But if you feel that a PC is more appropiate, seeya...

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK

Apple have just made the very sensible step of allowing auto-updating of their malware definitions list. Future malware shouldn't require a formal Software Update:

"File Quarantine

Impact: Automatically update the known malware definitions

Description: The system will check daily for updates to the File Quarantine malware definition list. An opt-out capability is provided via the "Automatically update safe downloads list" checkbox in Security Preferences. Additional information is available in this Knowledge Base article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4651"
From http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Only for 10.6.7? What about 10.5.x or those on lower versions of 10.6? I almost understand 10.5.x... but this list exists in all versions of 10.6.x IIRC...

Chris Grande

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Can you please elaborate?

As posted above the 2011-003 updated also includes this change:

File Quarantine

Impact: Automatically update the known malware definitions

Description: The system will check daily for updates to the File Quarantine malware definition list. An opt-out capability is provided via the "Automatically update safe downloads list" checkbox in Security Preferences. Additional information is available in this Knowledge Base article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4651

mysticalos

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
People complaining apple should have done an update withing 1-2 days. really? this is still blown out of proprotion, it's not a virus that installs itself automatically, it's something the user has to install themselves and actually run, removal is as easy as draging it to trash. i'm actually disapointed apple is catoring to this with a new daemon that's now running in background on OS that's scanning downloads for known threats. all because users don't think before they install crap.

and

"Only for 10.6.7? What about 10.5.x or those on lower versions of 10.6? I almost understand 10.5.x... but this list exists in all versions of 10.6.x IIRC..."

really? why should apple provide updates for obsolete OS versions that have FREE updates available?

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Can you imagine having to deal with this malware stuff constantly?

I'm glad I use OS X.

No, I can't imagine it. I'm running Windows 7 on my PC. I also have a Mac Mini, but I don't use it nearly as much.

I don't get viruses on Windows. It's a myth spread by the elitist Apple fanboys. Although, I guess I can be a bit elitist in a way in the Apply fanboy world for loving my iPhone 4, but wishing Apple would let us sideload Cydia or something.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003

This is so typical of the worst posts on here.

Blah, blah, blah… I'm going to have my moan and winge before reading the release note.

You'll be getting daily updates from now on.

Go to security preferences and note the “Automatically update safe downlaods list” checkbox which wasn't there before.

It's like Apple can't do anything right sometimes. And a lot of the response to Mac Defender is just building on top of what was already in place - Apple has slowly beefed up security since Leopard, with File Quarantine, ASLR (albeit rudimentary), Malware checking etc.

Can you please elaborate?

Macs will phone home to Cupertino every day to ask for a new list.

I don't think there is anything wrong, controversial or not sensible about this action. What surprises me is they have pulled it off so quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
People complaining apple should have done an update withing 1-2 days. really? this is still blown out of proprotion, it's not a virus that installs itself automatically, it's something the user has to install themselves and actually run, removal is as easy as draging it to trash. i'm actually disapointed apple is catoring to this with a new daemon that's now running in background on OS that's scanning downloads for known threats. all because users don't think before they install crap.

and

"Only for 10.6.7? What about 10.5.x or those on lower versions of 10.6? I almost understand 10.5.x... but this list exists in all versions of 10.6.x IIRC..."

really? why should apple provide updates for obsolete OS versions that have FREE updates available?
Except it does install automatically... https://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/2...-installs-without-admin-password-requirement/

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
Macs will phone home to Cupertino every day to ask for a new list.

I don't think there is anything wrong, controversial or not sensible about this action. What surprises me is they have pulled it off so quickly.

You may have already known but the malware definitions file and detection has been there since 10.6. It's just the daily updating that's new.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I don't get viruses on Windows. It's a myth spread by the elitist Apple fanboys.

Thats utter rubbish. With due respect the problem of malware, spyware, viruses, trojan horses, botnets and other malicious software became a real headache for Microsoft during the Windows XP era.

That's why SP2 was such a big deal and one (not the only) reason Vista was delayed.

You may have already known but the malware definitions file and detection has been there since 10.6. It's just the daily updating that's new.

Yes, read my post before the one you quoted. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Is this related to the "troubles solver" or the "recovery" viruses on windows?

Anyway I'm glad I use OS X and I only have to deal with this once in a while.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

You do realize these things take time to find, analyze, and fix right? Apple is a company not some super entity capable of the impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.