Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Windinthedust

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Network in the "real" business world

Trust me, I was the biggest Mac/Apple fan there could be...

Until I had to work in the business world and had a very rude awakening.
My conversion was slow but I am now a Windows XP (not Vista) fan and I can Network and work in the real business world.

Unless you are in the graphics arena where Mac loyalists will hang on; you can't do day to day business tasks on a Mac, especially if you have to work with data files and SQL DB's.

I hope this changes in the future but it's a fact for Business Today.

WindowsGuy- you've been away too long... Macs network better in windows networks better then windows boxes do! Test- take two people with windows laptops and two with Mac laptops, take them to a new office, network, etc. See which ones are up and running faster; internet, intranet, printing, & file sharing, etc. Macs will be up and running on the network in minutes... something that can't be said about windows. Mapping a drive? A mac user will say, "what's that?" as the network is recognized, he enters the password, and it mounts as a volume. Printing? Oh yeh, Apple INVENTED CUPS. Remembering my network? Windows boxes don't do that so well when your hopping between offices... Macs? Seamless.

Can't do day to day business things on a Mac? What the heck are you talking about? My Mac makes me money, and I'm not a graphics guy. I run a small business. Our entire operation is on Macs. We do not support IT. We support our families. Part of our business is consulting and administration of design/build construction projects. We regularly are in other's networks and offices with our Mac's collaborating to get things done. Let me say, wasted time and down time is not tolerated in my company, that's why we will never use windows.

Peace. :apple:

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
WindowsGuy- you've been away too long... Macs network better in windows networks better then windows boxes do! Test- take two people with windows laptops and two with Mac laptops, take them to a new office, network, etc. See which ones are up and running faster; internet, intranet, printing, & file sharing, etc. Macs will be up and running on the network in minutes... something that can't be said about windows. Mapping a drive? A mac user will say, "what's that?" as the network is recognized, he enters the password, and it mounts as a volume. Printing? Oh yeh, Apple INVENTED CUPS. Remembering my network? Windows boxes don't do that so well when your hopping between offices... Macs? Seamless.

Can't do day to day business things on a Mac? What the heck are you talking about? My Mac makes me money, and I'm not a graphics guy. I run a small business. Our entire operation is on Macs. We do not support IT. We support our families. Part of our business is consulting and administration of design/build construction projects. We regularly are in other's networks and offices with our Mac's collaborating to get things done. Let me say, wasted time and down time is not tolerated in my company, that's why we will never use windows.

Try to log in to the Domain, run login scripts, and then apply group policy restrictions.:rolleyes:

oyebto

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Singapore
its ok mac is the minority. other den compatibility issues with windows and hardware ( getting fewer by the minute ), we can survive pretty well.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006

My conversion was slow but I am now a Windows XP (not Vista) fan and I can Network and work in the real business world.

Unless you are in the graphics arena where Mac loyalists will hang on; you can't do day to day business tasks on a Mac, especially if you have to work with data files and SQL DB's.

You think the majority of people even touch SQL databases???? I'd say 99.99% of business professionals don't even know what SQL stands for let alone have to use it. Sounds like you're in the IT dept since you're talking about networking and SQL. IT depts are VERY small compared to the number of people actually using computers at business. For example, we've got 1 IT guy where I work and we've got around 100 employees.
I'm sorry but you talking about how the lack of SQL is a killer for Mac just makes me think that you've really got a distorted view of what "Business Today" really is.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Even ask a Mac "fanboy" I could never recommend Safari for Windows. It's buggy and just looks way out of place.

So true. I tried it on my Inspiron 9300 before I got my MBP and was really disappointed. Its better on the Mac, but I still love Firefox. FF3 FTW!

Until IE = 7++, Rant {

What I think is really funny is that IE7 sucks so bad that it causes security risks in OTHER BROWSERS.

I want to stab my eyeballs every time I see that FUGLY interface. It might have been a fair trade-off if it was easier to use, BUT ITS NOT!

}

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

OK, I'll bite - what "Day to day business tasks" can't you do on a Mac? I'm interested because I run my business on Macs (we're an IT Consultancy), and we seem to manage on a Day to Day basis:

EMail? Yep, no problem
Word Processing: Check
Spreadsheets: Check
Presentations: No problem
Accounts? Got that covered
SQL DBs? There's more to life than SQL Server you know. We support customers on SQL Server, Oracle (Unix and Windows), SyBase, MySQL, PostgreSQL, DB2, etc, etc. We use Aqua Data Studio and support them all
Development: PHP, Ruby and Java under Eclipse. Apache for the Web Server

We do have Windows virtual machines for specific support issues with Windows based customers but they don't get used to run our business

28monkeys

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
Bangkok, Thailand
Agreed. Well I'm not a Windows user but I love Safari on Windows at work. Go to an article on the NYTimes or any article on any site in both Firefox 3 and in Safari. There is just no contest between font rendering. With Firefox or any other browser I feel like I'm looking at some 8-bit Apple IIe screen font.

I love Firefox for it's add-ons and features, but I'm not really a 'power' browser either and don't use a lot of features. When it comes to actually reading what's on the screen Safari wins.

So when it comes to only picking up phone calls and writing mms , taking videos and photos, Nokia wins

sheldonhuelin

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
The last version was fast, but it would randomly freeze quite oftern, hopefully that issue is addressed also.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK

Well obviously not with the twaddle that you typed after this statement.

There is very little you can't do using a Mac and for the things you can't do, you can run Parallels or VM Ware and be sorted.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Oh yeh, Apple INVENTED CUPS. Remembering my network?

this type of false information need to to corrected more than once, since obviously some other mac ppl are still so living in the reality distorted world invented by SJ, the facts need to be said loud and clear for more than once.

For your added information, let me correct more lies from apple' vague and obviously intentionally misleading statements(I try to do this as much as I can whenever appropriate)

Apple didn't invent CUPS, it bought the source codes after the success of CUPS already

Apple didn't invent webkit or safari, it forked it from KHTML.

Apple didn't invent multi-touch, it was invented 15 years ago NOT in apple's lab.

Apple didn't invent OSX, its built on top of UNIX-BSD, etc

Apple didn't invent LLVM, its an OSS.

Thats not to say apple didn't contribute to these projects, some cases even majority of contributions, but that is far away from "inventing" any of those. And many other companies contribute to all those projects as well.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
I would never expect this kind of thing with Windows. --wink--
This is why I will switch to :apple: soon.

You do realise that Microsoft are far, far better than Apple at spotting and closing vulnerabilities, right? I mean I guess they have to be, but that's not the point here.

As for business, Macs can indeed be used for small scale localised businesses. Large scale? Not really - too many obstacles unfortunately.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Pretty close to it. The OS war is over and has been for a long time. And nothing is going to change that any time soon.
This is a pretty damn silly statement to make given that right now the OS market share is actually changing, and changing faster than it has for many years. I'm not saying Microsoft's share is going to disappear overnight or anything but to call the wars "over" during a period of unprecedented fluctuation in market share is just idiotic.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
This is a pretty damn silly statement to make given that right now the OS market share is actually changing, and changing faster than it has for many years. I'm not saying Microsoft's share is going to disappear overnight or anything but to call the wars "over" during a period of unprecedented fluctuation in market share is just idiotic.

You call a mere 2% market change in the US - and about 0.5% globally - over a year when MS has released a poorly perceived product and Apple has spent a fortune advertising changing?

MM2270

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
New York
Safari on Mac

this is slightly off topic, but, has anyone else out there noticed, as I have, that when updating any older Macs to Mac OS X 10.4.11, there no longer appears to be a download from Apple's Software update servers for Safari 3.1.1? I distinctly remember updating several Macs in my office to 10.4.11 and then seeing a Safari 3.1.1 update (from 3.04) Now, when I update any Macs to 10.4.11, I no longer get the Safari 3.1.1 update in the SW update panel.

I checked the version that gets installed with 10.4.11 and its still at 3.04, so I'm not sure why it isn't seeing the new version. I can download it and install it manually from Apple's site though. It's strange, and I'm wondering if anyone has seen this besides me.

MM2270

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
New York
this type of false information need to to corrected more than once, since obviously some other mac ppl are still so living in the reality distorted world invented by SJ, the facts need to be said loud and clear for more than once.

For your added information, let me correct more lies from apple' vague and obviously intentionally misleading statements(I try to do this as much as I can whenever appropriate)

Apple didn't invent CUPS, it bought the source codes after the success of CUPS already

Apple didn't invent webkit or safari, it forked it from KHTML.

Apple didn't invent multi-touch, it was invented 15 years ago NOT in apple's lab.

Apple didn't invent OSX, its built on top of UNIX-BSD, etc

Apple didn't invent LLVM, its an OSS.

Thats not to say apple didn't contribute to these projects, some cases even majority of contributions, but that is far away from "inventing" any of those. And many other companies contribute to all those projects as well.

Apple didn't invent OS X??? Damn, coulda fooled me. Sorry, but this statement is just plain stupid. OS X may be based on BSD and NeXT, but that is ONLY the underlying layer of the OS. The GUI that runs on top of it all that we call Mac OS X was most definitely invented, or created if you will, by Apple.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

I've been, among other things, a database consultant for more than 10 years and I have no trouble working day-to-day on a Mac. It does everything a Windows PC can do... and more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.