Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
It's unfortunate that a computer screen that's so expensive, presumably designed to cope with the daily rigours of an office environment, should be so susceptible to damage....

What type of office do you work in that involves people putting their grubby mits all over your monitor?

Have you considered smacking their hands and saying no?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
$500 to have it added and your device/warranty destroyed because you used the wrong $1 ($9 from Apple) cloth to wipe it.

I would change your wording just a little: $500 to have it added and your device/warranty destroyed, because despite being clearly warned by Apple to never use other cloths, you chose to ignore that warning when wiping the display. And now refuse to take responsibility for your decision.

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Well, it's nice to have the option and I'd take it if I needed an iMac - but it's expensive and definitely not convenient to maintain.

I hope this method will be improved upon in future generations of Macs.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
"...is available on the 27-inch iMac as a $500 upgrade option,..."
with that money i could buy a pretty decent gaming monitor for my pc gaming rig
though the new imac specs are pretty decent
mabey last of the intel macs

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
What's better with the nano texture? Is it better at anti glare or something? Definitely not worth the asking price

There is almost no glare at all but the result is that the colors are little washed out as opposed to glossy screen.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
I hope they will bring this matte-like nano texture also to the MacBook (Pro) Range in the near future.
I recently upgraded to a MBP 13 (2020) while owning a MBA with non-glass-covered screen before. (Besides, I am used to working with 2 Apple Cinema Displays and an LG monitor – all with matte screens.)
In terms of glare the MBP is a huge downgrade. No matter if outside or inside, day or night, there always is some glare and its worse than the already glossy screen from the old MBA – plus it's esp. bad with dark mode enabled.
I miss the days when Apple offered true matte displays, at least as an option.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING

Such dry procedure to clean with a cloth will ruin (SCRATCH) the display if it contains dust; and mostly if it contains a lot of dust. It is better to remove such dust first, with a air blower, anti-static magic duster or hoover.

TFK.

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2020
Dubai
I hope they will bring this matte-like nano texture also to the MacBook (Pro) Range in the near future.
I recently upgraded to a MBP 13 (2020) while owning a MBA with non-glass-covered screen before. (Besides, I am used to working with 2 Apple Cinema Displays and an LG monitor – all with matte screens.)
In terms of glare the MBP is a huge downgrade. No matter if outside or inside, day or night, there always is some glare and its worse than the already glossy screen from the old MBA – plus it's esp. bad with dark mode enabled.
I miss the days when Apple offered true matte displays, at least as an option.

I just wish Apple will introduce a 16" MacBook Pro with an optional matte-like nano texture *hopefully*

organic bond

Cancelled
May 5, 2007
Apple Cloth… Woven from the hair of the Elephant Shrew with an intricate cross thread from the tails of young Pangolins, aged between three and four months, launched into space and dried under vacuum. Folded with nanometre precision and sealed in the most sterile environment know to man. Designed in California and made in China India. Good for three wipes, and yours for only 499 USD.
Exactly what I thought. And that will be 599 € in Europe.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple told MacRumors it charges $9 for replacement cleaning cloths.

Apple also has specific instructions for washing the polishing cloth, which includes using dish soap and water, rinsing thoroughly, and then letting it air dry for at least 24 hours.

Surprised Apple isn't selling their own specially formulated cleaning cloth soap.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

alexfc

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2012
Can you ask for the cloth even If you don’t have the display? I mean, If I call Apple and ask for the cloth even though I don’t have the monitor.

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Is that really true? Isn't the XDR supposed to have really accurate color?

I am not saying anything about color accuracy but it is fact that glossy screens seem like they have more rich colors and more contrast because of the gloss. I am sure the color richness was exagarated due to fact that there were glossy and nano-texture screens right next to each other.

EDIT: On the other hand, I am a wedding and portrait photographer and I opened my portfolio on XDR Display and on 2017 iMac Pro next to each other and I couldn't see any difference at all. I am sure XDR has its place in worfklow of some pro color grades or commercial photographers but for me it was a little disappointing to see.

An-apple-a-day

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Apple Cloth… Woven from the hair of the Elephant Shrew with an intricate cross thread from the tails of young Pangolins, aged between three and four months, launched into space and dried under vacuum. Folded with nanometre precision and sealed in the most sterile environment know to man. Designed in California and made in China India. Good for three wipes, and yours for only 499 USD.

As I read your post, I somehow was hearing it spoken in my head with a Jony Ive voice.

Reactions: nihil0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.