Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced new 6TB and 12TB storage tiers for its iCloud+ subscription service, pushing past 2TB for the first time.

icloud-plus-storage-tiers.jpg

Every Apple ID receives 5GB of free cloud storage, but users can upgrade to a paid iCloud+ storage subscription plan to get 50GB, 200GB, 2TB, 6TB, or 12TB of storage. All paid iCloud+ storage plans include features like iCloud Private Relay, Hide My Email, and Custom Email Domains. Currently, subscribers pay $0.99 per month for 50GB of cloud storage, $2.99 per month for 200GB, and $9.99 per month for 2 TB.

The new 6TB iCloud+ will be priced at $29.99 per month and while the 12TB plan costs $59.99 per month. For comparison, Google's 5TB and 10TB cloud storage plans cost $24.99 and $49.99 per month.

The higher storage tiers provide an option for those who had already filled 2TB of storage from iCloud+ and 2TB of storage from an Apple One subscription. Like other iCloud+ subscription plans, the pool of cloud storage can be shared among up to six people via Family Sharing. The bigger iCloud plans are set to become available on Monday, September 18.

Article Link: Apple Adds 6TB and 12TB iCloud+ Storage Tiers

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

t0pher

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
UK
6tb for 30 is truly mean.

I had expected them to bump 2tb to 4 and add additional tb’s at a discounted rate.

I think I will be looking elsewhere for storage.

The integration is great with iCloud but apple need to add some additional value too.

After 30 years I may be embarking on my migration away if they keep doing stuff like this.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Plenty of cloud storage options besides this one. Do your consumer rights thing and shop around. Not all cloud storage providers are striving for $4T valuations... and storage is storage... about as commoditized as it gets. Subscription-free 20TBs of HDD storage is about to fall below $200.

OR, invest in your own cloud available on most NAS drives (just one example), so you can both fully control your own data (no for-profit middlemen) and decide how much cloud storage you want (and expand it when you need more). That will likely cost more in a one-time purchase but then be free cloud storage for as long as your NAS runs.

Last edited:

DirtyComputer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2021

Apple today announced new 6TB and 12TB storage tiers for its iCloud+ subscription service, pushing past 2TB for the first time.

icloud-plus-storage-tiers.jpg

Every Apple ID receives 5GB of free cloud storage, but users can upgrade to a paid iCloud+ storage subscription plan to get 50GB, 200GB, 2TB, 6TB, or 12TB of storage. All paid iCloud+ storage plans include features like iCloud Private Relay, Hide My Email, and Custom Email Domains. Currently, subscribers pay $0.99 per month for 50GB of cloud storage, $2.99 per month for 200GB, and $9.99 per month for 2 TB.

The new 6TB iCloud+ will be priced at $29.99 per month and while the 12TB plan costs $59.99 per month. For comparison, Google's 5TB and 10TB cloud storage plans cost $24.99 and $49.99 per month.

The higher storage tiers provide an option for those who had already filled 2TB of storage from iCloud+ and 2TB of storage from an Apple One subscription. Like other iCloud+ subscription plans, the pool of cloud storage can be shared among up to six people via Family Sharing. The bigger iCloud plans are set to become available on Monday, September 18.

Article Link: Apple Adds 6TB and 12TB iCloud+ Storage Tiers
Anyone remotely savvy should buy a synology nas and use their drive app. At $720/year for the 12TB, in about two years it will have paid for itself(with two 20Tb drives) and you actually have versioning setup in case a file is accidentally deleted and unnoticed for 30 days. Then get a second and have an actual backup!

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
This announcement probably excited me the most today lol. I'm running very close to the 2TB limit, though I could always stack it with another 2TB.

Side note: kind of weird how we can have storage via One, and then stack with additional storage. Feels like a messy way to get a clear idea of all possible storage options.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
That's insane. I never knew people would need more than 6TB, let alone 2TB.
I wrote to Craig Federighi when Photo Stream was discontinued. I have the 2 tb iCloud plan. But if I were to use Apple's substitute, iCloud Photos, that entire 2 tb would be instantly filled (and then some). So I was interested in the 6 tb plan, but the cost Apple set is too rich for my blood, especially considering that they've basically forced me into that tier by discontinuing Photo Stream. The only way that the 2 tb plan would work would be if I could choose to sync only photos and not videos (because I shoot a lot of 4k). If Apple had a simple checkbox to allow that, I'd happily use iCloud Photos. Currently it's all-or-nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.