Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For the first time since the iTunes Store launched in 2003, Apple has added a way for customers to pay for purchases without using a credit, debit or iTunes gift card. Starting with German carrier O2, customers can now link a phone number to their iTunes account and use carrier billing for purchases, per TechCrunch.

O2-Carrier-Billing-iTunes-800x690.jpg
Apple's new mobile phone bill option for iTunes accounts (Image: Carsten Knobloch)

The new payment method enables customers to pay for apps, songs, TV shows, movies, iBooks and other iTunes content without needing a credit or debit card, or even a bank account. Instead, purchases are added to a customer's mobile phone bill and paid off at the end of the month.

Customers without a contract can have purchases debited from a prepaid amount applied to the iPhone.

O2 parent company Telefonica confirmed it is working on carrier billing with Apple:
"Telefónica Germany is working with Apple related to carrier billing," a spokesperson told us in an email. "Payment via the O2 phone bill is now available for Apple Music, iTunes, App Store and iBooks Store Purchases. The service is gradually being rolled out and will be available for all O2 customers (prepaid and postpaid) in Germany by the beginning of November 2015."
Apple may be working with carrier billing provider Bango, used by rivals like Amazon:
We have heard on the grapevine, however, that Apple has been talking for a while with Bango, a carrier billing provider, to roll out carrier billing functionality on iTunes.
TechCrunch believes Apple will expand carrier billing to additional markets in the future.

Article Link: Apple Adds Carrier Billing to iTunes, Starting With O2 in Germany

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Provided they're still notified by Apple of what things are bought every few days via email this should be fine. If that doesn't happen, and it ends up at the end of the month attached on the phone bill, imagine some surprised customers who are unsure of their spending spree/habits.

Reactions: wlossw

Sply

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
This is crap. Apple should work on bringing Apple Pay to germany and don't support these evil carrier billing.. As of today the eu also brought a new law that net neutrality is no more in the eu... that opens the door for the carriers to press the last penny out of our pockets.. its a sad day. and this "news" made is even more sad... unlucky to live in the EU at the moment.. (still lucky that we can help poor Syrians which problems we helped to develop - thats at last a good thing the "Flüchtlinge")

Reactions: Gudi

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't think I'd use this even if it was available where I am, but I am surprised that apple started a service somewhere besides the US first.

Reactions: V.K.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This is crap. Apple should work on bringing Apple Pay to germany and don't support these evil carrier billing.. As of today the eu also brought a new law that net neutrality is no more in the eu... that opens the door for the carriers to press the last penny out of our pockets.. its a sad day. and this "news" made is even more sad... unlucky to live in the EU at the moment.. (still lucky that we can help poor Syrians which problems we helped to develop - thats at last a good thing the "Flüchtlinge")

Huh? It's just another way for consumers to pay for things. As long as consumers are notified when a purchase goes through, I don't see how this is a bad idea. The carriers don't get a premium and you end up paying the same amount, it's just a more convenient way to do it in certain scenarios.

For instance, if you get billed at the start of the month but don't have enough money for an app right now, you can buy it and get the bill later. Not sure how this constitutes as 'a sad day', unless there's something I'm missing?

Reactions: V.K.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

You do realize it's an OPTION, not a requirement? Or did you just want to rant for the sake of? Sheesh.

jumanji

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Austin, TX
a lot of non-profits have asked apple to waive the in app fee for donations. Apple has said no but this might be a nice way around it.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
hope I'm able to use my iTunes account to pay for my T-Mobile bill ... if so I'll end up getting 22% off, which is my running average discount received on iTunes gift card purchases.
I believe this means the opposite of what you think it does. You aren't able to charge your cell phone bill to your iTunes account rather your iTunes purchases (if you do not have a remaining iTunes balance) can be charged to your cell phone bill. If the day were to ever come allowing your cell phone bill to be paid with iTunes credit you can be assured that the sweet iTunes gift card discounts that pop up for 70 to 80 cents on the dollar will disappear.

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Can i pay my home mortgage, car notes, and student loans at no interest rate through my carrier too?

You are aware carriers charge interest right? Watch what happens when you don't pay your phone bill and get tacked with 'late fees' or 'interest charges'. Wording might be different, but you'll be paying for it.

The bigger concern is putting the liability on the carrier. Is Apple going to help dispute these charges still? There are some kids who rack up a few g's a month with in-app purchases.

Reactions: Gudi

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
Maybe too soon to tell...and I can't even tell you why right this sec to be honest.....but my gut tells me ATT and VZW will be the last in line / won't do this at all anytime soon. Not unless there is something in it for them.

Edit: If this idea even comes to the US at all.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I don't understand why I am not able to use my german credit cards in the austrian iTunes and (Mac) App Store. I tried two MasterCards, two Visa and one Amex. The german banks, where I got the cards from all changed my address to an austrian.

Everywhere else I can use them on the Internet, even on Click & Buy which I can also choose as payment method.

I will change back the location of my account, because i cannot even see what apps and music I already purchased. I have to buy them again and get a message, that I already bought them and don't have to pay again. But that does not work with music.

Also strange that my account details in iTunes on the Mac can show all purchases but the stores not.

And why can't I choose click & buy on the phone but it is available there if i choose it on the Mac?

Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-27 um 15.07.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-27 um 15.06.43.png

Last edited:

neongrau

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2014
Although that would be a silly way to pay with prepaid phone cards in Germany. Apple regularly offers rebates for iTunes gift cards up to 20% where you only have to pay 40€ for a 50€ card. No such thing with prepaid phone cards.

CentralOffice

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
hope I'm able to use my iTunes account to pay for my T-Mobile bill ... if so I'll end up getting 22% off, which is my running average discount received on iTunes gift card purchases.

Yup, just picked up a $100 GC for $75 yesterday -- effectively reducing Apple Music family plan to $11.25/month for a nice stretch.

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
In a way it makes sense to have this as an option. However the downside is that it might make harder for some customers to see how much they're spending. But for some it will make purchasing easier.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Although that would be a silly way to pay with prepaid phone cards in Germany. Apple regularly offers rebates for iTunes gift cards up to 20% where you only have to pay 40€ for a 50€ card. No such thing with prepaid phone cards.
Exactly. I always buy iTunes giftcards because of this reason.

Deepdragon

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
It's a nice addition for people who want to use it, but it's nothing that I need. I think it's not my carriers business to know what sort of films I watch or what sort of music I prefer. And I think it's more difficult to keep track of my expenses when they are billed only once a month. I would much more appreciate if Apple would finally allow to pay via Paypal!

And of course Apple Pay in Germany :D

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.