Apple Adds Early 2011 13-Inch MacBook Pro to Obsolete Products List

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 2, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Earlier this week, we reported on Apple's plans to add select 2009 to 2011 model Macs to its vintage and obsolete products list on December 31, including 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models from early 2011.

In the meantime, Apple today added the smaller 13-inch MacBook Pro from early 2011 to the list. The notebook is classified as "vintage" in California and Turkey, and "obsolete" in the rest of the United States and world.

The early 2011 13-inch MacBook Pro is no longer eligible for hardware service or new parts from Apple or Apple Authorized Service Providers, except in Turkey and California, where Apple will continue to provide repairs and documentation for up to two years, or roughly December 2018 in this case, as required by local statutes.

Meanwhile, the iMac (20-inch, Early 2009) and iMac (24-inch, Early 2009) are now considered fully obsolete worldwide. This means the pair of iMacs have lost their "vintage" status in California and Turkey, and are no longer eligible for hardware service or new parts from Apple or Apple Authorized Service Providers anywhere.

Vintage products are those that have not been manufactured by Apple for between five and seven years. Obsolete products are those that were discontinued by Apple more than seven years ago. Apple and Authorized Service Providers make no distinction between obsolete and vintage products outside of California and Turkey.

Article Link: Apple Adds Early 2011 13-Inch MacBook Pro to Obsolete Products List

2. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Soon: Apple shrugs and adds entire Mac line to Obsolete Products List.

3. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Yet my old one functions marvelously thanks to a new SSD, and I still really like the keyboard, CD drive & all the ports... RIP, that was really a solid generation of MacBooks.

4. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Well, at least you might be able to run couple more revisions of macOS. Its still capable hardware.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

It's a solid machine and will still be supported for some years with OS updates. Just a quick reminder to anybody confused that 'Vintage' status means parts are no longer manufactured for it and they cannot be repaired at Apple Stores or AASPs.

5 years is a really, really good run in this industry. To get anywhere close to that length of legacy support, you'll have to be looking at DELL/HP Business.

6. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

It's fine, yes. But the 2012 is next, and that was one sale for four years. And was still very popular in its final year. Could some owners be left out in the cold after just one year of ownership?

Hopefully these periods are set to extend in light of Apple's lazy update schedule recently.

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I called Apple Care last night and got help troubleshooting my 2007 iMac (it's having weird startup problems - it can't even boot into safe mode. After trying a lot of stuff, conclusion was El Capitan was somehow corrupted. Currently reinstalling that... hopefully it'll work after that.)

On another note - some of the 2012 MBPs were only discontinued last month. Supposedly that means Apple won't mark it as vintage or obsolete until 2021... if someone bought it in 2012, that means they get 9 years of having an officially supported computer.

8. dstud208 macrumors member

dstud208

Huh, that's my wife's computer... thanks to ram and ssd upgrades it's running better than new though with the latest OS installed. Sure glad I could do that *cough cough*

Really solid little machine, glad we bought it.

9. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

That generation made Apple computers what it is today.. all for them to follow it up and ruin it.

RIP. Glad my 2012 is still beasting.

10. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Nope: it goes from the date of last manufactured, rather than first manufactured! :)

11. MrGuder macrumors 68030

I hope everyone is paying attention...soon all the products that use standard connection ports that we are all use to using will soon be gone. It's going to come down to a single connection USB-C as standard and no other ports.

12. theluggage macrumors 68040

"Manufacturer stops stocking replacement parts for 5-year-old laptop".

Seriously, although I have been having a good old whine about other things that Apple has done recently, this is maybe useful info, possibly even a sad reflection on our throw-away society, but hardly news. You'd never hear this sort of thing reported if PCBoxShifter Corp had dropped support for the 2011 LXZ-395/BQ (C)-98tx (North America version) Issue 2, and I don't think you can blame Apple for the fact that a 5-year-old laptop with a fried mainboard or broken display is Beyond Economic Repair.

Of course, unlike the modern offerings, the 2011 MBP had removable mass storage & RAM, and could largely be dismantled and re-built with the right screwdriver - only the battery and display had fallen to the Kragle at that time, so unofficial repairs with generic or scavenged parts will remain possible for some time.

The current crop, however, will be recycling-fodder at the first fault after AppleCare expires.

13. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

I'm gonna add Apple as a whole to my list of obsolete companies.

14. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

I'm still using a 2011 MBP as my daily driver (I also recently added an SSD and boy, that makes a world of difference). Like you said it's still running great, so I think the well wishes for peaceful rest may be a little premature. My laptop isn't getting off the hook that easily.

15. imwoblin macrumors 6502

And yet my 2010 vintage MacBook Air 11" is still on the supported list even as its 13" brother is now obsolete?

16. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

my wife is using a mid 2009 - 13" Macbook Pro with core 2 duo 2.53ghz - 8gb ddr 3 - 256gb SSD.

it's still running smoothly and fast... knock on wood never gave any trouble... by the way the SSD it came with was from Apple. Battery never been changed.

17. Max Portakabin Suspended

If seven years or older is the benchmark for being made obsolete, how is a 2011 machine getting made obsolete?

18. Cloudkicker macrumors 6502

Cloudkicker

That is awesome.⭐ It gives me hope in winning at least $10,000 to dive into the Apple world w/ a new MacBook Pro TouchBar (pretty much I spend $4,000 CDN, still have a nestegg of the rest so I don't take a giant risk).

19. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

I really don't get it ... For all practical purposes, it's the exact same Mac as the late 2011 and mid 2012. As far as I know the primary difference is processor speed.

Why is this being obsoleted, and not the late 2011? Moreover, why is it being obsoleted at all? They all use the exact same parts!

20. Soylent Yellow macrumors member

Soylent Yellow

My MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011) is humming alone nicely with a 1TB SSD. That amount of storage is a whopping €720 extra om a new MacBook (more than double that I paid for the disk years ago), so it will keep humming as long as it can.

21. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

Strange because I just upgraded from this exact model and I definitely prefer every aspect of the new models compared to my 2011 model (which served me great up until the last month before I replaced it).

22. jaster2 macrumors newbie

jaster2

I'll be glad to say goodbye to my 2012 MBPr when they deliver a new MBP that has an HDMI port, SD card reader, and speakers that don't blow out. And doesn't cost over $3,000 after adding on all kinds of adapters. The only thing about my current machine that I will be happy to depart with is the terrible imprint ghosting on the annoying LG retina display.

23. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Coming soon: "2012 products are now in vintage bin."

24. Rootus macrumors 6502

My 15" early 2011 GPU just gave up last night and did the pink snow of death. Glad they extended the warranty on these until the end of 2016, and glad mine didn't wait until January to puke. Maybe I can extract some more life from this machine -- it's not like a 2 GHz Core i7 is **slow**. Especially since I swapped the drive out for an SSD

25. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

"Sorry guys, we forgot one!"

*twists knife*

"Here, buy this magical emoji bar. It's only $1800 for a dual core machine!"

*leaves you to bleed out*