Apple Adds Email-Based FaceTime Support in iOS 4.1 Beta 3

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's latest beta version of iOS 4.1 released earlier this week has offered the strongest evidence yet that the company is planning to roll out FaceTime video calling functionality to future non-iPhone devices based on the iOS operating system. A new option in the iOS "Contacts" application allows users to make FaceTime calls using either a phone number or an email address. This would allow FaceTime compatibility with devices not associated with a phone number such as future camera-enabled iPads and iPod touches.

The first evidence for email address compatibility with FaceTime was unearthed last month, with alleged screenshots showing settings offering the option to associate email addresses with the FaceTime functionality.

Apple is widely believed to be preparing to add at least a FaceTime-compatible front-facing camera to the next-generation iPod touch, rumored for introduction next month. Several photos of claimed next-generation iPod touch parts have surfaced showing a hole in the front LCD/digitizer assembly appropriate for a front-facing camera. Apple's iPad has also been the subject of speculation regarding a front-facing camera, although no substantial evidence of such hardware has yet surfaced and a timetable for a refresh of the device remains unknown.

Article Link: Apple Adds Email-Based FaceTime Support in iOS 4.1 Beta 3

Macopotamus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I hope this includes Macs with iChat too

It's really surprising that the two aren't compatible yet

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
Perfect for my jailbroken iPhone 4 with iPad data only SIM. Currently, my friends have to call my iPad number to do FaceTime over 3G.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
If this is true, there's no way the next iPad, whenever it comes out, is not going to have a Facetime camera as well.

shingi70

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
Yep facetime is coming to the touch.

Also can anyone answer this question? why would apple only put one camera on the touch when one of the main features is to do the camera switch to show he other person what your looking at.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
If Apple pushes this into all there devices like they're doing, we can eventually be done with the phone carriers.

Here's what I'm saying:

Wi-Fi calling with either email or phone number.

Purchase a Mi-Fi device which will be about $30-60. And you have free calling and email and Internet all day.

Will that work?

Heck Apple could get there own Skype style service since they're building these huge Apple Farms in NC.

I'm tired of the carriers in the USA and the rape of their customer base with these ridiculous plans.

BlackZ

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
Mac - iPod - iPhone Facetime please >_<
the right step in the right direction

mrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2008
Coo!

So when can I use Facetime with my desktop Mac and iSight??!

Practically every MacBook, iMac, and Apple Display comes with a built in Cam, so what can we connect with those?

Come on Apple, bring FaceTime to the Mac platform, or bring iChat to the iPhone !!!

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
If Apple pushes this into all there devices like they're doing, we can eventually be done with the phone carriers.

Here's what I'm saying:

Wi-Fi calling with either email or phone number.

Purchase a Mi-Fi device which will be about $30-60. And you have free calling and email and Internet all day.

Will that work?

Heck Apple could get there own Skype style service since they're building these huge Apple Farms in NC.

I'm tired of the carriers in the USA and the rape of their customer base with these ridiculous plans.
+1!!!

they did say new iLife was coming out so I'm pretty sure they're going to make that switch from "iChat" to "FaceTime" or a "connect with FaceTime" option on iChat

Edit: ^^^^^ beat me to it!!!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
iChat should have this too. Too bad iChat is an application that is only bundled with OS X and can't get major updates until major updates in the entire OS. :(
...for now. I mentioned here before that I would not be surprised if they started treating it like Safari: free, yearly updates, seperate from the OS, and a Windows version.

ewokcwalk

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2007
Saginaw, MI
it seems that if they can go to an email address.. that it COULD maybe work with ichat using a mobileme address?? thatd be pretty sweet... but another way to get apple paid for mobileme accounts.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
it seems that if they can go to an email address.. that it COULD maybe work with ichat using a mobileme address?? thatd be pretty sweet... but another way to get apple paid for mobileme accounts.
Apple would never limit this to MobileMe. They want FaceTime to become a standard.