• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As noted by MacDailyNews, Apple has added a Mac@Work web page with Science, Small Business, Pro, and Education sections that link to the corresponding sections of Apple's site.

It also has links for Seminars & Training, Trade Shows & Events, and a link to Apple's IT Pro page for "IT Managers and technology professionals."

The new Mac@Work page does not add new information, but gives site visitors yet another starting page for learning about Apple's products and how they are being used.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apparently, Apple considers students to be "at work" when they are at school.

Some students I know work harder than those of us with full-time jobs, so perhaps that's appropriate.

Comment

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Doctor Q said:
Some students I know work harder than those of us with full-time jobs, so perhaps that's appropriate.

That's quite true!
It's good to have a visible starting point, the "hot news" bar was a bit on the elusive side... you had to wait to see what macs were being used for by scientists, editors, etc.

Comment

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Doctor Q said:

Agreed. I worked a hell of a lot harder when I was at school than I do now. Stupid architecture degree. :)

Comment

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
They should add a section for Java developers (a bit specialized I know, perhaps software dev in general) - I can do just about anything on my Mac that I can do in Linux (except produce the final rpm for installation). And it's faster and easier to use. A simple example: I just spent three hours trying to get my Fedora Core 5 install to support screen spanning on a 20" monitor and gave up in the end, until Monday. That took 5 seconds to set up on my wife's MacBook.

Comment

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
plinden said:
They should add a section for Java developers (a bit specialized I know, perhaps software dev in general) - I can do just about anything on my Mac that I can do in Linux (except produce the final rpm for installation). And it's faster and easier to use. A simple example: I just spent three hours trying to get my Fedora Core 5 install to support screen spanning on a 20" monitor and gave up in the end, until Monday. That took 5 seconds to set up on my wife's MacBook.

That's what developer.apple.com is for. Amazing amount of info.

Comment

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I like this addition. It's a much cleaner design than some of their other pages which seem really cluttered. Nice point of entry to look at some other areas of the site.

Comment

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
This is just a start for Apple. I bet they are really going to start focusing on this. I am ticked off that Apple assumes that your a student or working, I put in a 60hour work week and am in school full time. They also assume all audio work concerns music.

Comment

daveyjokes

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
Oxford, UK-Oh yes!
I hope Apple don't become toooooo Pro, I couldn't imagine Apple being just for graphic artwork designers...but then again, they never will, they box rather clever, Apple do. But just imagine that...no consumer Apple products? What would we do? Shut up Tom your being an idiot..stop typing :D

Comment

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Doctor Q said:

It depends: before the semester system, we students used to start working after the Christmas break (I don't know how you guys call it) around january and then gradually increase study work till june, but now with two exam periods, the inactivity period has really shortened.
I think that overall students work harder than 9 to 5 people, but there are those periods where you can just relax and do nothing.

Comment

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Eniregnat said:
I am ticked off that Apple assumes that your a student or working, I put in a 60hour work week and am in school full time.

I agree. I'm also working full time as well as being a full time student (I'm done with school until August, thank God), but it seems like most people think that it is either one or the other. There are a lot of us that can't afford to stop working when they are in school.

Comment

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Doctor Q said:

Especially considering they aren't getting paid for the work, but are paying tuition for it. Ooo, do I hear a "In Soviet Russia.." joke coming on?

In American Educational System, YOU pay employer!

Nah, doesn't work.

Comment

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
I like the idea -- people have to start to see the Mac platform as a real alternative to Windows for Apple to make inroads into the other 97% of the computing world.

But from what I saw at the Mac@Work site, they're not really doing it.

JMHO, but I think that they shouldn't have education in the mix -- people draw a mental line between @school and @work; they shouldn't have design in the mix -- people know that Macs are used for design and they don't equate that with "business" (it's touchy-feely art).

If they want to convince people that businesses use Macs, they have to focus on the quintissential "business" -- the small business section is perfect, but why hide the MGM Mirage and Star Tribune behind "small business" in the IT Pro section?

I think that Macs at work is a good idea, but they would do better if they didn't dilute their message.

Comment

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Doctor Q said:

I think the page is intended for teachers. Or, as Apple calls them, "Educators."

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.