Apple Adds More HomeKit-Enabled Accessories and iPhone 11 Pro Bike Mount Kit to Online Store

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week added a new selection of products to its online store, including the First Alert Onelink smoke and carbon monoxide alarm, a bike mount kit for the iPhone 11 Pro, and two Eve smart home accessories.

Available in battery powered or hardwired versions for $119.95, the Onelink is a HomeKit-compatible alarm that rings an 85 dB siren and pushes a notification to your iPhone or other device in the event smoke or carbon monoxide is detected in your home. You can also test the alarm or silence false alarms from your iPhone.

For cyclists, the Quad Lock Bike Mount Kit can be used to attach an iPhone 11 Pro to a bike's stem or handlebars. The kit is priced at $69.95.

Last, Apple is now carrying the HomeKit-enabled Eve Energy smart plug for $39.95 and the Eve Water Guard for $79.95. The latter can detect water leaks and alert you via push notification, a 100 dB siren, and a red flashing warning light.

Apple is also carrying new iPhone SE cases, replacement AirPods Pro ear tips, and a wheel kit, feet kit, and Radeon Pro W5700X graphics card for the new Mac Pro.

Article Link: Apple Adds More HomeKit-Enabled Accessories and iPhone 11 Pro Bike Mount Kit to Online Store

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
Onelink smoke detector. Worse experience ever. Woke me up during the night with false alarm, difficult to turn off.
Had to replace all six with the reliable Nest Protect. Onelink was a ticking time (bomb). I heard of customers having that problem before I purchase them, I should have listened...

roncron

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
For what it's worth:

I have the Quad Lock kit and highly recommend it.

The kit includes a bike mount and a case, which you can purchase separately. That's good because when you get a new phone, you only need a new case ($30), but not a new mount. I've used the same mount on my road bike with 4 different iPhones and well over 1500 miles of riding with an iPhone mounted. The mount is very secure, it's quick and easy to remove the phone from the mount if you want to stop and take a picture, then remount the phone and continue your ride. The case, by itself, is thin and fairly light but very protective (not Otterbox-level, though). I've dropped my phone in the quad lock case quite a few times and the phone has never been damaged (nor has the case).

All of this wouldn't mean anything if it wasn't useful to have the phone mounted. But it is, in my experience. I can open Google Maps and use the bike trail layer to find my way around. I can use one of the many GPS tracking apps, like Map My Ride, to track my ride and do all the things a dedicated GPS bike computer would do. And if I'm being stupid, I can read an incoming text while biking--but please don't be stupid like me.

Quad lock isn't cheap, but it's well-designed and well-made. If funds are tight, Amazon has cheaper no-name bike mounts, but take care to read the reviews first to get a sense of how secure they are. You don't want to risk losing your iPhone to save a few bucks by buying a cheap mount.

Before buying Quad Lock from the Apple Store, I'd look at Quad Lock's own website. Sometimes they have $10 off coupons if you sign up for their emails (which you can unsubscribe from after using the coupon, if you want).

kylew1212

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
For what it's worth:

I have the Quad Lock kit and highly recommend it.

The kit includes a bike mount and a case, which you can purchase separately. That's good because when you get a new phone, you only need a new case ($30), but not a new mount. I've used the same mount on my road bike with 4 different iPhones and well over 1500 miles of riding with an iPhone mounted. The mount is very secure, it's quick and easy to remove the phone from the mount if you want to stop and take a picture, then remount the phone and continue your ride. The case, by itself, is thin and fairly light but very protective (not Otterbox-level, though). I've dropped my phone in the quad lock case quite a few times and the phone has never been damaged (nor has the case).

All of this wouldn't mean anything if it wasn't useful to have the phone mounted. But it is, in my experience. I can open Google Maps and use the bike trail layer to find my way around. I can use one of the many GPS tracking apps, like Map My Ride, to track my ride and do all the things a dedicated GPS bike computer would do. And if I'm being stupid, I can read an incoming text while biking--but please don't be stupid like me.

Quad lock isn't cheap, but it's well-designed and well-made. If funds are tight, Amazon has cheaper no-name bike mounts, but take care to read the reviews first to get a sense of how secure they are. You don't want to risk losing your iPhone to save a few bucks by buying a cheap mount.

Before buying Quad Lock from the Apple Store, I'd look at Quad Lock's own website. Sometimes they have $10 off coupons if you sign up for their emails (which you can unsubscribe from after using the coupon, if you want).
I've been seeing these advertised and wondered how well they worked. Thanks.

Reactions: DoctorTech

icanhazmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2018
Dear Apple,

Fully homekit compatible DIY home alarm with doorbells and secure video pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Last edited:
Reactions: DoctorTech

formula155

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
I can also vouch for the Quadlock kit. I have tried a variety of bike mount options and this is by far my favorite. The case is slim but provides good protection, and I use a Quadlock mount on my mountain bike while riding single track and have never felt like the phone would come loose. Have even ridden in the rain and used the "poncho" and it kept the phone dry.

Reactions: kylew1212

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I have the quad lock kit for my Xs Max. I use it on my mountain bike and it is very secure. I've been over very rough terrain and jumps with no issues on my hardtail.

I definitely recommend it for fellow cyclists.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
That bike link is yuck. Using fasteners? What on earth. Most bikes have stems that accept accessories that literally snap into place unless you went to Target and bought a Giant.

Stryder541

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Onelink smoke detector. Worse experience ever. Woke me up during the night with false alarm, difficult to turn off.
Had to replace all six with the reliable Nest Protect. Onelink was a ticking time (bomb). I heard of customers having that problem before I purchase them, I should have listened...
First Gen were indeed a nightmare. Returned the battery model, but stuck with the wired one. First Alert replaced three times and finally gave me a second gen model which has worked well including with a number of updates that improved HomeKit. Finally bought a second gen battery model and that has worked equally well. Pairs nicely with the wired model and both will alarm and announce the smoke/monoxide location in full English sentences. I test them with canned smoke, not simply the test button.

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Just here to vouch for quadlock. I upgrade my phone every year, but i've had my original bike mount for 5 years, never had to be replaced, and we've been through a few stumbles. Phone always intact, and so easy to use thanks to face ID quickly switch songs or use GPS or strava, effortless to take off when you need it and put back on.

I've go the armband mount too. Also there's mounts for motorbikes and mopeds too.

Excellent Australian patended product.

tricouleur

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2005
For what it's worth:

I own a quad lock ever since I got the iPhone 7 three and a half years ago and I wholeheartedly agree that it is a great mount. I am curious though, how well does Face ID work with a bike helmet and glasses when mounted on the quad lock?

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
I own a quad lock ever since I got the iPhone 7 three and a half years ago and I wholeheartedly agree that it is a great mount. I am curious though, how well does Face ID work with a bike helmet and glasses when mounted on the quad lock?
I can't vouch for glasses but it works perfectly with a helmet on, when i look down it's the perfect angle. I'm so glad touch ID is gone in favour of face ID. it works so much better. My hands were always too dirty or sweaty for it to ever work on a bike.

Reactions: roncron

Wyatt82

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
the Onelink detector is good I have found. Bought one to replace a crappy $10 job that failed. Software is solid too. Only issue I knew about at time of purchase was replacement batteries for the battery version. The one inside is rated at 5 years but I believe a smoke detector should be good for 10 or so so you would hope some replacements are available. Not to my knowledge when I bought it however.

beanbaguk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
I'm sorry, but did I really just see an ugly, bulky iPhone case for just shy of US$70?!! The world has gone mad.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
That bike link is yuck. Using fasteners? What on earth. Most bikes have stems that accept accessories that literally snap into place unless you went to Target and bought a Giant.
WTF are you talking about? Firstly, Giants are not sold at Target, they're only sold at bike shops. Secondly what bikes have stems that accept accessories that snap into place? You say most bikes? I can't think of one, and I own 5 bikes. Even if this is available, it's on some bikes, not most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.