Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Smart move by Apple as it allows Apple retail to capitalize on sales and they don't have to tell customers to order the system online.

Apple probably decided to do this based on customer buying trends. This will allow Apple to sell more MacBooks as more people will be leaving the stores with MacBooks in hand.

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
arrr. the life of us guinea pigs. i'd love a bigger hard drive and more ram... how does that add up to a diy job though...

may be they should also tell people that its a non- mooing, non- dancing, non- fireworks, non- yellowing variety

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
$100 for 512MB of RAM on the black one... that's ridiculous. But I guess since they give you 256MB sticks otherwise, you'd have to pay $100 to bump it up to dual channel 1GB anyway.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Hmmm, what the dictionary says of "Ultimate":

The best achievable or imaginable of its kind; or

Being the best or most extreme example of its kind.

A 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD equipped macBook hardly fits the bill. :rolleyes: ;)

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
In the AI article it says the configurations are available in their stores. Where? It's neither on the Danish or American Apple store...:confused:

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
It's in the retail stores. And there is nothing special about the pricing of these computers. You can get the same thing online. You just have to select the upgrades at check out. The only difference is, when you used to order from the retail store you had to wait from them to ship you a computer with the selected upgrades. Now they have some computers with upgrades already made to them in stock in the store.

Josias said:
In the AI article it says the configurations are available in their stores. Where? It's neither on the Danish or American Apple store...:confused:

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
vv-tim said:
$100 for 512MB of RAM on the black one... that's ridiculous.

Buying an iMac from Apple and having 2GB of RAM put in by them costs an additional $300.00, but maxing out RAM and increasing it to the same 2GB on a MacBook costs $500.00. What is the reason for the disparity in pricing?

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
I'm guessing it's because of the target market. Many students buying the macbook will probably drop the extra $500 for the Ram a lot faster. I'm just making random guesses though, I really don't know. It's probably BECAUSE THEY CAN! :)

Deepdale said:
Buying an iMac from Apple and having 2GB of RAM put in by them costs an additional $300.00, but maxing out RAM and increasing it to the same 2GB on a MacBook costs $500.00. What is the reason for the disparity in pricing?

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
Deepdale said:

The ram in the iMac is a Dimm, a regular sized ram stick.

The ram in a MacBook is a So-Dimm, a smaller notebook-thus more expensive to manufacture.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
purelithium said:
The ram in a MacBook is a So-Dimm, a smaller notebook-thus more expensive to manufacture.

I appreciate the explanation. Doubtless the cost to make things for smaller products is higher, but it still has that extra healthy Apple price premium built-in. The cost to have it installed at other places is $300.00.

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
Deepdale said:
I appreciate the explanation. Doubtless the cost to make things for smaller products is higher, but it still has that extra healthy Apple price premium built-in. The cost to have it installed at other places is $300.00.

Oh definitely. I was simply explaining the discrepancy between the two Apple upgrade options.

I bought the stock 1.83 from an Apple store, and upgraded the ram on my own for 215 for 2gb.

It's a crazy thing for apple to charge that much for something that costs so little.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.