Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this morning added a new Music Videos section to its Apple Music streaming service for $9.99 monthly subscribers.

IMG_B43E80D748B7-1-800x600.jpeg

The new section is accessed by way of the Browse panel in iTunes on macOS and iOS 11, and is currently showcasing several music videos that have been available on the service for some time, along with Apple Music exclusives from the likes of Kylie Minogue and Beck. A curated "Today's Video Hits" playlist and artist spotlight on Taylor Swift are also featured.

Word of new music video content for Apple Music subscribers came via Apple when it outlined many of the upcoming changes in iOS 11.3 in a preview announcement at the beginning of the year.

The company said Apple Music would "soon be the home for music videos," allowing subscribers to stream all the music videos they want without ads, as well as view and create music video playlists. Users can also expect regularly updated editorial and music video recommendations from Apple, based on the user's music tastes.

We're still waiting for the official release of iOS 11.3 to drop. Several beta versions of iOS 11.3 have been made available to developers and public testers since Apple's preview announcement, but the new Apple Music video category has been introduced separately and is already appearing for a lot of iPhone and iPad users running iOS 11.2.6 and for Mac users with iTunes 12.7 or later installed.

Article Link: Apple Adds New 'Music Videos' Section to Apple Music Ahead of iOS 11.3 Release

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Availability of Music Videos to start with was one of the reasons I signed up to Apple Music instead of Spotify. And lately they have been greatly increasing the selection of older videos. However, there is still classics missing like like Joan Jett's “I Love Rock’n’Roll” and "Bad Reputation". Other more obscure ones like Rainer Maria “Catastrophe Keeps Us Together” are not on Apple Music or even the iTunes Store - but all of it video and audio are on YouTube.

YouTube aka Google seems to be immune to rights issues. My guess is that Google simply publishes anything until they get sued and lose in court. Apple doesn’t publish unless they have permission ahead of time. Should we be urging Apple to start behaving like Google? Or at least take a much more active approach in getting rights? Amazon also happily sells the OOP CDs

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
Availability of Music Videos to start with was one of the reasons I signed up to Apple Music instead of Spotify. And lately they have been greatly increasing the selection of older videos. However, there is still classics missing like like Joan Jett's “I Love Rock’n’Roll” and "Bad Reputation". Other more obscure ones like Rainer Maria “Catastrophe Keeps Us Together” are not on Apple Music or even the iTunes Store - but all of it video and audio are on YouTube.

YouTube aka Google seems to be immune to rights issues. My guess is that Google simply publishes anything until they get sued and lose in court. Apple doesn’t publish unless they have permission ahead of time. Should we be urging Apple to start behaving like Google? Or at least take a much more active approach in getting rights? Amazon also happily sells the OOP CDs

I also like the music video aspect. I was just browsing this on Apple TV and they have video playlists. I was checking out one of the classic hard rock ones and it was a pretty decent mix. It will be cool to sit and watch these like as if I was watching MTV growing up before they went to crap. I hope you can make customized video playlists like you can with music that would be great.

Last edited:

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016

No..it’s nice to have a company that at least try’s to respect the artist. A lot goes into music and videos. Maybe Apple should have an active portal where people can request videos that are old or under the radar and go about getting the rights to stream it the right way?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
So this is Apple Music's response to YouTube? Or to Gen X'ers who grew up on MTV??

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
No..it’s nice to have a company that at least try’s to respect the artist. A lot goes into music and videos. Maybe Apple should have an active portal where people can request videos that are old or under the radar and go about getting the rights to stream it the right way?

Try YouTube. It's great! ;)

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
LOL I almost made a mistake by adding one of the video playlists to my library on ATV. I then realized I have auto-downloads selected for music on my phone and a few other devices. Sure enough it was starting to download an 8 hr video playlist to my phone so I quickly deleted it. Oooops! :p

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Sounds like a great idea: I'm all for it!

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Sounds like a great idea: I'm all for it!

If apple really cares about music they can do a much better job at showing it..like having Siri pronounce the names of artist correctly..I cringed the other day hearing Siri mis pronounce jodeci..they had an album that had the pronunciation of the groups name on the cover for crying out loud!

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
If apple really cares about music they can do a much better job at showing it..like having Siri pronounce the names of artist correctly..I cringed the other day hearing Siri mis pronounce jodeci..they had an album that had the pronunciation of the groups name on the cover for crying out loud!
Good thing you aren't a classical music aficionado - it has the worst coverage and not just by Siri. Baby steps...

Reactions: Bswails
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.