Apple Adds Permanent Indie Games Section to App Store, Offers Discounts

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last week, Apple added an indie games section to the App Store to promote the huge range of games made by smaller developers. As it turns out, the indie games section is a permanent addition to the App Store, and will be available indefinitely to help users discover new titles to play.

As of this week, the indie games section includes sections like "Our 25 favorite indie games," "Indie game debuts," and "Newly discovered indies."

There's also a list of popular indie titles on sale for $0.99, including Road Not Taken, VVVVVV, Surgeon Simulator, Bicolor, Sorcery 3, The Room Two, Prune, Botanicula, and more.

[​IMG]

Indie adventure title Oxenfree has been named the editor's choice indie app of the week, and it is available for $3.99 (20 percent off) to celebrate its launch.

Also free this week is popular indie platformer Bean's Quest, which has been named Apple's App of the Week. It will be available for download at no cost until next Thursday. [Direct Link]

The addition of a dedicated indie games storefront in the App Store should make it easier for indie developers, who often struggle to compete with major game companies with unlimited funds, to have their games recognized and discovered by customers.

Article Link: Apple Adds Permanent Indie Games Section to App Store, Offers Discounts

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

And then Zynga creates many subsidiaries to qualify as "indie" and churns out many low quality games.

3. Defthand macrumors regular

I have to ask. The headline implies that Apple discounted the games. Apple is notorious for not discounting its own products. Is Apple subsidizing the discounted games, or is Apple encouraging developers to discount their games in exchange for promoting them?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 603

keysofanxiety

Thank you for the heads up MR. Some of these indie games currently on offer look gorgeous.

5. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

I didn't know The Room series was indie? I own all three and they are incredible!

6. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Ooh, very nice. This'll help my personal game discovery process immensely.

7. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

I've always wondered this, especially for something like the free app of the week. Does the developer get anything for their app being free for a week?

8. Sylvan macrumors regular

That is good news. Does anyone know what criteria qualifies a dev as indie in this situation?

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Zynga has a "Partners for Mobile" program where they do this. The most notable title that has come out of it was Horn a few years back.

Some of these are freemium too by the way.

10. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

How about an all categories section that doesn't include games? That would actually be useful.

11. simonmet macrumors 6502a

simonmet

This is genuinely good news and a great (and much needed) move.

Almost all the games I play would be considered indie titles because I find the commitment to quality, artistry, integrity and therefore value to usually be better.

One game not on the list but which I've quite enjoyed recently is called Slayaway Camp which is actually from the brains behind Bejewelled but who since went independent. It's an 80s slasher-inspired sliding puzzle game and it's murderously good! Worth checking out on iOS if you like puzzle games.

12. Macaholic868 macrumors member

Macaholic868

13. Cosmosent macrumors member

Cosmosent

The PRIMARY reason Apple decided to do this is because they are now worried about losing Indie Game Developers to the Nintendo Switch ! ... Apple is a reactive company, and responds well to fear ... e.g., Prisma, Apple's app of the year recommendation for 2016, started to get its due recognition on the iOS App Store ONLY AFTER starting to take off with Android ... neither case is pure coincidence ... not Rocket Science either ... both will however, be completely missed by 99.9% of the professional analysts who cover Apple !

14. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

That's a scary possibility. Let's hope that Apple's selection process is objective and able to prioritize those games that are innovative and original I stead of cheap imitations of the same game.

There are way too many games developed using game templates by people who don't really know how to write code.

15. zohaali146 macrumors regular