Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree. It's hard to understand why they have any product in their lineup that doesn't have an outstanding UI.

Steve Jobs is on the patent for the Apple TV UI. He's partially responsible for this design. But no excuse for Apple not improving it. Hopefully that's coming sometime this year.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Just a general AppleTV comment: I’d love to see the iOS remote app be a UI mirror vs. just standing in for the OEM remote - you know, more inline with many 3rd party “smart remotes” (or even the DirecTV) app.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
How about an NBC Sochi Olympics channel where you can watch all of the competitions without have to mess around with airplay mirroring from an idevice?

:eek:

YES YES YES

or straight Olympics channel...then you pick your provider...NBC, BBC, etc
don't want to have to airplay

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Anyone have any experience with Red Bull TV? I assume there is no worthwhile content unless you are a teenage boy, but maybe I am wrong.

This will be great for me as currently I have to airplay the video from the iPad app to my Apple TV and occasionally forget, open another app with a stupid audio or video intro and lose my stream.

As a keen surfer and mountain biker I watch Redbull TV quite often for live streaming of events from around the world.... only last week I was watching the Body Glove Big Wave Invitational live from Mavericks (http://mavericksinvitational.com/ / http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/surfing/stories/1331629584083/watch-live-2014-mavericks-invitational).... now if only there was some kind of subliminal Apple link in that :D

Edit: I should probably mention that I'm far from being a teenage boy.... 38 in a couple of weeks, how did that happen!

Last edited:

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk
Great now everyone in the uk needs a TV license to own an Apple TV. *thumbs down*

* live TV broadcasts require a TV license. Catch up TV doesnt. For those that cut the cord to the bbc license the Apple TV now makes them illegal and open to heavy fines. Way to go team apple :(

Er Sky News has been on Apple TV for a while now...

Live TV was always going to happen. You're not going to be able to beat the TV licence that easily.

I for one will be disapointed if the BBC player doesn't include live HD channels when it's *finally* released. I live in a conservation area (no satellite dish allowed) and an area of poor TV signal (I need a tv booster). But I get 15mbs download (and improving all the time) so can't wait (fingers crossed) for live HD channels over the net on my ATV.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Anyone have any experience with Red Bull TV? I assume there is no worthwhile content unless you are a teenage boy, but maybe I am wrong.

Just turned the Apple TV on and it is there. Nice. And there is cool content, mostly sports and music. Just watching a street art documentary right now. Only downside is that most oft the clips are just between 5 to 20 minutes short. Rarely there are 40 to 50 minutes shows.

But hey anything that is free and not trash is great. :)

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Great. Another channel to hide.

Apple, please update the Apple TV UI. The current model just doesn't work anymore.

I'm pretty sure this is to come the first half of this year since they're supposedly working on a new version. Since the rumor regards app purchases / gaming, I think they'll release a new UI to handle this better along with it. Until then, I think nothing at all will happen.

charliex5

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Seattle, WA
Ugh. I use the Apple apps, Hulu, and Netflix. I hate all these freaking icons all over my screen that I don't use. Its getting pretty messy.

----------

Nothing to see here, just another channel to hide.

We can hide channels? Damn, that would have made me so much happier with my Apple TV these past few months.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Okay Apple, it is time to just add some kind of app store to the Apple TV. Even if it isn't open to all developers at first. I don't want all these random channels that I will never use cluttering up the screen.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Apple TV UI is a mess. Slow to navigate. Impossible to organize. I'm thinking an iOS 7 inspired update is coming this year.

I really do hope there's a software update, at the very least this spring. A hardware update with a beefier processor and maybe expanded on-board storage would also be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like to see a UI overhaul (iOS7-like or not) for easier navigation, a "channel store", and please, for the love of Turing, allow the ATV to act as an iTunes client to a USB- or network-connected drive storing content.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
The responses in this thread are so typical.

For years people complained how little content Apple TV had. And berated apple for under using it.

Now these same people are complaining that apple is adding content.

Make up your minds

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure this is to come the first half of this year since they're supposedly working on a new version. Since the rumor regards app purchases / gaming, I think they'll release a new UI to handle this better along with it. Until then, I think nothing at all will happen.
Heard this all last year as well...and I think the year before, too!!

It's really people just hoping and trying to hang on until the "next big update" that realizes all their dreams happens. It's going to take something pretty special to not deflate the balloon.

----------

The responses in this thread are so typical.

For years people complained how little content Apple TV had. And berated apple for under using it.

Now these same people are complaining that apple is adding content.

Make up your minds
Yes, we want content...real content! Not just a bunch of useless nitch channels containing stuff you can find on YouTube. The aTV channel selection is starting to look more and more like the Roku's or cable tv, hundreds of channels...nothing worth watching.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I really do hope there's a software update, at the very least this spring. A hardware update with a beefier processor and maybe expanded on-board storage would also be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like to see a UI overhaul (iOS7-like or not) for easier navigation, a "channel store", and please, for the love of Turing, allow the ATV to act as an iTunes client to a USB- or network-connected drive storing content.
Hope is your key word...and it's an important one.

I do like your "hopes" on it acting as an iTunes client to a network drive. That's a good "hope".

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
iOS 7 inspired wouldn't make the TV interface better. Plus, the light colors are not a good idea on a tv interface. Apple really needs to re-think how the UI works. Slapping some new paint on the UI isn't going to solve any of the problems. It's sad that the Roku 3 has a much better UI than Apple TV and Roku clearly does not have a great UI team (but they do understand their users).

I'm talking more about the look of the icons versus the color scheme. Something flat, minimal, etc. The bigger issue is that there is really no organization of these channels. And scrolling between them is just choppy. It needs a complete redesign.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Really???...The Red Bull Channel? More "non-content" for the aTV.

They need to add some real stuff...and soon.

How about an NBC Sochi Olympics channel where you can watch all of the competitions without have to mess around with airplay mirroring from an idevice?

:eek:

YES YES YES

or straight Olympics channel...then you pick your provider...NBC, BBC, etc
don't want to have to airplay

An Olympics channel would be great. But I am sure both you guys know this... Olympics... not a choice Apple can make. That's up to the networks. They want you watching their channels because they want your eyes on the advertising.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Heard this all last year as well...and I think the year before, too!!

It's really people just hoping and trying to hang on until the "next big update" that realizes all their dreams happens. It's going to take something pretty special to not deflate the balloon.

----------

Yes, we want content...real content! Not just a bunch of useless nitch channels containing stuff you can find on YouTube. The aTV channel selection is starting to look more and more like the Roku's or cable tv, hundreds of channels...nothing worth watching.

"Red Bull TV" is NOT what I was thinking of when I said "content". I meant, "stuff I'd actually watch", which I realize might be a rather peculiar use of the word, but there ya go.

Way too many of these "channels" only offer previews, or limited libraries, or otherwise gimped versions of what they could be offering. AppleTV is a fantastic idea, but it'll never get off the ground as long as content providers want to hoard their IPs.

This is why I bought my AppleTV primarily to view rips of DVDs I already have, and that will be it's only use for the forseeable future. At the end of the day, content derived from shiny discs is a better value for the money and less hassle.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Er Sky News has been on Apple TV for a while now...

Live TV was always going to happen. You're not going to be able to beat the TV licence that easily.

I for one will be disapointed if the BBC player doesn't include live HD channels when it's *finally* released. I live in a conservation area (no satellite dish allowed) and an area of poor TV signal (I need a tv booster). But I get 15mbs download (and improving all the time) so can't wait (fingers crossed) for live HD channels over the net on my ATV.

Its not about beating the TV license. It's about not requiring it. Not everyone wants or needs live broadcast TV.

Yea I know about sky, I wrote to tim cook about it.

pito189

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2006
Nfl

Give me an NFL channel on Apple TV for live NFL games and I would drop cable entirely.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Something seems to be moving on the Apple TV content front, but I can't quite seem to put my finger on what it is yet. If they keep going on like this, the home page of ATV is going to look quite messy and chaotic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.