Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by The Next Web, Apple has added support for new movie and TV streaming service Watchever to the Apple TV in Germany.
Essentially a German version of Hulu launched by Vivendi this month, it offers local, European and international movies and TV series for EUR8.99 a month. Key features include the ability to choose between a German dubbed version of international movies, or the original. There is also a personal recommendation algorithm à la Netflix.
watchever_apple_tv.jpg
Watchever added to Apple TV home screen in Germany (Source: @chrizkro)
Watchever had announced at its launch that it would be coming to the Apple TV, and Apple today updated its support document on third-party content providers to include Watchever.

Article Link: Apple Adds Streaming Movie and TV Service Watchever to Apple TV in Germany

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
thanks apple. now, how about that app store?

I agree, I'd love an app store.

Since the Apple TV runs it's own OS, it has a different set of APIs. It's very time-consuming to make a secure public API. The API currently in use probably has all sorts of security holes and bugs that they haven't patched up or fixed yet, because it's unnecessary until it becomes public. It took a year for iOS to release it's first public API, and many years after to give it all the features.

If the Apple TV developers have the time and resources, they can do it. It's all up to Apple to put more money into this, and we'll have a public API. I just don't think Apple has been ready for it yet.

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France

Since the Apple TV runs it's own OS, it has a different set of APIs. It's very time-consuming to make a secure public API. The API currently in use probably has all sorts of security holes and bugs that they haven't patched up or fixed yet, because it's unnecessary until it becomes public. It took a year for iOS to release it's first public API, and many years after to give it all the features.

If the Apple TV developers have the time and resources, they can do it. It's all up to Apple to put more money into this, and we'll have a public API. I just don't think Apple has been ready for it yet.

Apple TV IS iOS. The same thing in your iphones and ipads...except with a different UI and geared towards multimedia.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
they barely have anything worth mentioning. i'd rather see Sky Go and Spotify on it

Last edited:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
USA gets the Apple TV for less, but has more streaming options. Hopefully this is the start of opening up local options in all regions to balance things out.

For example, Apple TV in the UK should have BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD and Demand 5. Most connected devices do, including the iPhone and iPad.

StarDal

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009

Apple TV version 1 did have its own OS, but with the switch to Apple TV2 it did take on iOS. In fact, on Apple TV 2 or 3, go to Settings -> General -> About. My Apple TV 2 is currently on "Apple TV Version" 5.1 (though it is telling me of an upgrade). It's really just a fork of iOS 5.1.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Apple TV version 1 did have its own OS, but with the switch to Apple TV2 it did take on iOS. In fact, on Apple TV 2 or 3, go to Settings -> General -> About. My Apple TV 2 is currently on "Apple TV Version" 5.1 (though it is telling me of an upgrade). It's really just a fork of iOS 5.1.

Sort of right, Apple TV 5.1 software is using iOS 6 I believe, click the select button on the about page and it tells you the iOS version.

Apple TV software is like an app so to speak, it's version isn't directly related to the iOS version.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
Apps and a browser and I would be happy.

A browser? How would you control it? With your iPad? You can airplay Safari to your Apple TV. So no need for that.

I think that's the reason there are no apps on the ATV. You need at least an iPod touch to control it. So you might as well use Airplay.

DavidBarrett

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
A browser? How would you control it? With your iPad? You can airplay Safari to your Apple TV. So no need for that.

I think that's the reason there are no apps on the ATV. You need at least an iPod touch to control it. So you might as well use Airplay.

They've already released Bluetooth support in the newest developer update. That's a pretty easy way to be able to browse the web...

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Sort of right, Apple TV 5.1 software is using iOS 6 I believe, click the select button on the about page and it tells you the iOS version.

Apple TV software is like an app so to speak, it's version isn't directly related to the iOS version.

This is correct. The Apple TV software is like an app that runs on iOS. If you go to Settings it only shows the software version initially like 5.1 but if you click the select button on your remote it switches to show the iOS version. Mines currently shows it as iOS 6.

DavidBarrett

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
I'm trying to delete this so i can post it in the forums but idk how so i'm just leaving it here with this note as a precursor.

On a side note, has anyone been able to get that new netflix "super hd" thing working on their ATV3? I have cablevision and the site (netflix.com/superhd) says it should be working and my connection is over 12mbps so I don't know why I don't see the logo (from support.netflix.com/en/node/8731) anywhere. Is it just me or is it not working for everyone?
Sorry this doesn't really have anything to do with this thread but I figured Apple TV people would at least be reading this one and idk where else to ask.

Last edited:

StarDal

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009

Ah.. thanks.. for some reason I thought I read elsewhere that it was stuck in the 5s.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

I didn't know this. I always thought it was a 'different OS similar to iOS' much like the iPod Nanos use a 'different OS similar to iOS'.

Thank you.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012

Not everyone that has an Apple TV has an iPad or some other several hundred dollar iDevice. All you would need is an inexpensive wireless keyboard.

For example, my mother in law has an AppleTV but doesn't have any other iDevices. Heck, she doesn't even have a smart phone.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
They've already released Bluetooth support in the newest developer update. That's a pretty easy way to be able to browse the web...

Year, but you still need a capable, easy to use input device.

Not everyone that has an Apple TV has an iPad or some other several hundred dollar iDevice. All you would need is an inexpensive wireless keyboard.

For example, my mother in law has an AppleTV but doesn't have any other iDevices. Heck, she doesn't even have a smart phone.

Same here. Apple won't suggest you to buy a cheap wireless keyboard. In fact Apple won't suggest you use a keyboard on your couch at all.

I don't think they will add apps in a way we know them because there is no better input device than your iOS device (so far at least).

gursis11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
All these rumours about iTV when it's already here! It just some taking some time to evolve to a more complex and productive creature.

----------

Apps and a browser and I would be happy.
Apps on a TV... alright, plausible, at least some might come in use. Browser, why a browser on 40+" TV? Who browses the Internet when they're sitting on their couch? You have app for that: YouTube, Vimeo and other media sites.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
In other news the Apple TV is still a pile of junk across the rest of the world.

In the UK its essentially just a £100 'pass' to watching paid iTunes content on your TV.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
All these rumours about iTV when it's already here! It just some taking some time to evolve to a more complex and productive creature.

----------

Apps on a TV... alright, plausible, at least some might come in use. Browser, why a browser on 40+" TV? Who browses the Internet when they're sitting on their couch? You have app for that: YouTube, Vimeo and other media sites.

So the internet is only for videos now? Either way, the YouTube app on the AppleTV is piss poor at best. Same with flickr. Vimeo is only marginally better.

"You have app for that: YouTube, Vimeo and other media sites."

What "other" sites are you talking about? You mentioned the 2 on the box. Other than flickr, there isn't a whole lot more you can do with a AppleTV in stock form that is with a crap.

Maybe YOU wouldn't surf sites on your TV, but many others would. I don't really see why people like you think that just because you don't have the desire to do something, then that particular something HAS to be totally pointless.

"Who browses the Internet when they're sitting on their couch?"

Yer kidding me right? How many laptops are in circulation at this moment? How many tablets are in use? That's just a silly comment. Yea, NO ONE browses the internet while sitting on their couch.:rolleyes:

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
Amazon Instant Video, ...please. I get so much out of my prime membership, but to watch all the prime content on my big TV's without having to buy/boot another set-top box would be so nice.
That or enable apps, or Amazon could support airplay video in the ipad player.
So close on so many fronts....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.