Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An Apple collector who was selling his vintage Apple software collection on eBay received a surprise earlier this month when Apple itself bought out much of his software inventory for its software archives (via MacGeneration).

According to seller "Marcoguy," he made several listings of various Apple CDs and received a message from someone asking to buy a dozen discs. When he went to ship the package, he noticed it was going to 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, California, Apple's corporate address. Upon asking the buyer about the purchase, he was told that Apple maintains a lab at its headquarters containing archived materials. "We were missing some of the disks that you placed on eBay," wrote the buyer.

appleebaysoftware-800x461.jpg
So yeah, Apple bought some of their own software back from me. :) Feel free to post if you've had a similar experience, as I would love to hear about it. I knew Microsoft has a pretty robust archive of their history, but I wasn't aware Apple does too until this happened.

Just goes to show how necessary this community is. If is wasn't for collectors like us, so much software would just be lost, out of the grasp of even the companies that produced it.
It's not clear how much Apple paid to fill out its archives, but the seller lists his software at prices ranging from $9.95 to $19.95. It's also not known exactly what Apple purchased, but the seller is offering many rare CDs from the early 90s, including a beta version of Apple's System 7 operating system and a disc from WWDC in 1994.

Article Link: Apple Adds to Vintage Software Collection With eBay Purchase

Asarien

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2015
People should check out the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, if they're living in or visiting the Bay Area.

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
The guy has only sold 4 items recently, two for >$200 and two for ~$20

bundle

$210 Best Offer
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=252501715447
Apple Developer CDs

single discs

$224.50 Bidding Frenzy
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=252499947177
Apple Rhapsody Developer Release 1 OS X Early Prototype Sept 97 For Power Mac

$19.95 Buy it Now
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=252499907474
Apple Macintosh System Software 7.0 Golden Master May 1991

$17.95 Buy it Now
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=252499452514
Apple Developer Group Vol II: Phil and Dave's Excellent CD Release Version

Last edited:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Companies maintain archives in large part to protect their copyrights and patents. Hope the seller got a good price. Makes me wonder what some of my old media collection is worth. MacOS 9.2 installer anybody?

Also have a complete set of "Inside Macintosh" from 1988.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
I wish I still had my old copies of the developer CDs. I still have a sealed copy of Through the Looking glass, so there's that.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I threw all mine out. I do have a complete set of the Mac programming manuals, and an original Mac advert from France.

Oh, and an Apple ][ euro nameplate. I didn't realize they had a different name badge for the non-US units. And a custom made Apple banner that was made for a trade show that, according to the story, Apple never picked up, or paid for. It's very well made by an area kite manufacturer.

Good for him though. That's cool... I've got a copy of Windows Millenium Edition, and two NT workstation packs. I really doubt Microsoft would want them. No one else did...

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Yup. Steve threw all of that stuff in a landfill, or gave it to Stanford for a reason -- don't ever look back!
I was gonna mention this myself. Steve never cared much for keeping anything like this when he returned to Apple. Personally, I think it was bias, since he still brought up the original Macintosh or the Apple I in previous presentations. I honestly don't know why Apple would want to do this now considering its co-founder wasn't too fond of it.

Then again, it is part of Apple history and you want to maintain some link to your past by understanding where you are coming from. The Ebay seller is right about the Microsoft Archives; I have been there and without going into much detail, it is indeed robust. I'm talking like Assembly Code in binders going back to the 70's.

Reactions: camomac

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
I misread the headline and thought Apple purchased EBay. I may have actually joined the anti-Tim Cook crowd had that been the case :p

edit: purchasing EBay being considered a "Vintage Software Purchase" didn't strike me as odd.
Dont feel bad I read it the same way lol.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
I'm pretty happy with the current OS. What issues do you have with it?
It has gotten clunky and unstable. It also has way too many notifications that you can't disable. It also forces you to update things like flash. I am all for security...but I don't need to be forced to update.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I'm pretty happy with the current OS. What issues do you have with it?
How much time do you have? :D

Seriously, all things considered, it's not too bad. I think the poster meant he misses the days when OSs were simple and straightforward, and worked as expected with few glitches or conflicts, which is not always the case with today's (much more complicated) software.

I attribute a lot, if not most of the problems on semi-convergence with iOS and Cloud features.

Last edited:

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
I misread the headline and thought Apple purchased EBay. I may have actually joined the anti-Tim Cook crowd had that been the case :p

edit: purchasing EBay being considered a "Vintage Software Purchase" didn't strike me as odd.
In a sense eBay is quite vintage software. As is Amazon.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'd have been bidding on the System 7 beta if I'd seen it.

The guy had rare stuff...I'm just surprised that Apple didn't buy them.

BTW, in the watch world, Patek Phillippe has been buying rare pieces like crazy for their own archives/museum. About two years ago, one of their most historic pieces-the Henry Graves Super Complication-came up for sale and many market watches thought that any prospective buyer would have to beat Patek themselves to get it. The hammer price was $24 million, and surprisingly enough not to Patek. I think they certainly did their part to run it up, though.

Reactions: Nuvi and 0388631
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.