Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is again providing stock bonuses to some engineers in order to encourage them to stay with the company, reports Bloomberg. Select hardware and software engineers are receiving bonuses of up to $200k, a rare offering from Apple.

apple-park-drone-june-2018-2.jpg

Back in December, Apple provided up to $180,000 in bonuses to select engineers in silicon design, hardware, and operations, while the new bonuses are going to both hardware and software engineers. The source who told Bloomberg about the new round of bonuses said that fewer engineers are receiving the special grant this time around.

The bonuses, ranging from $100,000 to $200,000, have been provided in the form of restricted stock units that are set to vest over the course of four years provided the employees stay with Apple and do not take jobs at other companies.

Apple has been providing bonuses to encourage employee retention and to prevent other companies like Meta from poaching its top talent.

Article Link: Apple Again Rewarding Some Engineers With Up to $200K in Stock Bonuses

Macintosh TV

Suspended
Nov 3, 2021
This is something you see across all large companies, especially tech companies. It's in no way exclusive to Apple. It's how you get people to stick around and invest in the company. The harder they work to see the company succeed the more those stock bonuses become worth.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
This is something you see across all large companies, especially tech companies. It's in no way exclusive to Apple. It's how you get people to stick around and invest in the company. The harder they work to see the company succeed the more those stock bonuses become worth.
Also the big law firms, the consulting firms, and the big4 accounting firms. Big retention bonuses flying around right now, but the jury is still out about whether it's working.

Baritone_Guy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2021
These are most likely tied to remaining with the company for around three years. I don’t get that in one shot, but that is it works where I am employed. In any given year I have a set that vest and new ones added on the end.

Reactions: jerryk

criticasm

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2017
Well... when you're giving yourselves MILLIONS of dollars in stock bonuses, I guess it saves some face to throw crumbs to those actually doing to real work.

Just a reminder they gave Angela Ahrendts over $70 million is stock alone and it was all Timmy's idea to tick those boxes. As I'm sure it was also Timmy's idea to gently nudge her out not long after the media was touting her as his successor. Unlike with Scott Forstall where he did it underhandedly and knowing it wouldn't look good treating a women the media had given made up awards to just for being a women the same way. Instead they gave her a LOT of stock & little to do and no surprise she got bored & left a wealthy women.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.