Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We're just hours away from Apple's first event of the year, and alongside widely reported updates to the iPad Pro and possibly the reveal of other new products, Apple will announce a new paid podcast subscription service, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Apple-Podcast-Alternate.jpg

According to the Journal, this new service will be built into the Apple Podcasts app and will "allow listeners to compensate hosts directly." Yesterday, Vox's Peter Kafka tweeted that he is "pretty sure Apple is prepping its own podcast plan - a paid subscription service - on Tuesday."

Neither Kafka nor today's new report offers any new concrete insight into the pricing of this new service and its specific breakdown. While it may come as a surprise, news of an Apple podcast subscription service is not entirely new. Bloomberg and The Information have both independently reported that Apple is in talks with production companies to produce new original shows for the service.

Even without the new service, Apple has launched several original podcast shows based on content from Apple TV+, such as "The Line." Further corroborating rumors of a paid service, changes found within the Podcasts app on iOS 14.5 by MacRumors contributor Steve Moser indicate that Apple is reworking the app with more subscription-centric features.

Apple's "Spring Loaded" event will officially kick off at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time via a live stream on Apple's website and YouTube channel. If you're unable to watch the live stream, you can follow along for full coverage of all of the announcements from the event on MacRumors.Com or follow us on Twitter at MacRumorsLive for our live tweet coverage.

Article Link: Apple Again Rumored to Announce New Podcast Subscription Service At ‘Spring Loaded’ Event Later Today

johnyslats

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2012
Leeds, UK
Is it a coincidence that Annie Mac announces her departure from BBC Radio 1 today? She states that she wants to start creating podcasts once she leaves. Guess we'll find out later.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
I hope this comes with a transformed Podcast app, beautifully designed and easy to use. But it won't.

Podcasts; effectively 'on demand radio' are a funny thing. In the UK we have BBC Radio 4 which produces excellent documentaries, drama serials and science programmes all for radio and then made available as podcasts. I can't imagine wanting to subscribe to a podcast service, or having the need to do so.

If apple do anything it should make all its Apple Music shows available as podcasts, with notifications when a new show appears. Right now they're lost in a poor web interface.

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
If so, hopefully it gets added at no extra cost for those of us with an existing Apple One subscription
Just what I was thinking. If they include it in my Apple One subscription that would be fine. If it's in addition to, I'll not be paying for podcasts. Nope.

Reactions: 1258186

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Looking forward to Apple calling+ where you pay a subscription to make calls using your phone with special features like reaching the intended party or music playing while you wait for them to answer
It’s getting that way isn’t it. In saying that, I’m on a Premier Apple One sub so won’t missing out.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
They should just buy Clubhouse. It would be a great acquisition and fit in nicely to their content strategy.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I've only listened to a couple podcasts over the years (one before 2010 the other this year) but I didn't quite see the appeal. they were interesting but nothing to get me hooked to that podcast or wanting to listen to more podcasts in general.

What are some decent podcasts? I don't see the draw in paying a subscription for these at the moment.

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
If these podcasts are not included in the Apple Music subscription, then Apple can expect it to die and will haemorrhage more potential users to Spotify. IMO they should also be adding audiobooks to the Apple Music subscription to compete with Audible.

Reactions: 1258186 and Zwhaler

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
I've only listened to a couple podcasts over the years (one before 2010 the other this year) but I didn't quite see the appeal. they were interesting but nothing to get me hooked to that podcast or wanting to listen to more podcasts in general.

What are some decent podcasts? I don't see the draw in paying a subscription for these at the moment.
“Decent” depends on what you’re interested in. My daily workout podcast is The Adam Carolla Show, because it’s similar in style to drive time radio shows but without the buzz and stupid sound effects, plus he has interesting guests on.

During my commute or while biking I like to listen to Fresh Air from NPR, because they have interesting guests and I like to keep my mind active during both activities.

I’m also big into true crime podcasts, right now I’m subscribed to Crime Junkie, which has a different topic every week, and the crime serial Your Own Backyard, which examines the disappearance of Kristin Smart.

Either you haven’t found a podcast your style yet, or they aren’t your thing at all. For people like me who need to mentally multitask podcasts are an essential part of our day.

Reactions: BJMRamage

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
The problem Apple are having with their current free to listen podcast scheme is that all the popular podcasts are being lured away to Spotify and the likes that do have higher monetization scheme for podcasts , if you were a successful podcaster , where would you go ? to a place where you get paid by commercials only ? or for a place that pay you to be at their platform?
Do you pay extra for podcasts on Spotify ? or is it part of the original price ? i assume Apple will follow Spotify here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.