Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
So, I bought my sister a 21.5" iMac as a gift for all the time she spent looking after my elderly Mum before she passed away.

Yesterday, I was giving her a basic tutorial and stumbled across an issue with the app store not wanting to update the bundled software. I searched many forums yet none of the suggested solutions worked ....

I rang Apple and the agent (who I was slightly struggling to understand because of her strong Eastern European accent) gets me to do a restart, then suggests a 'repair disk permissions'. So I do this (almost knowing it wouldn't work) but still no joy. The conversation then goes something like this:

Me: "no, I'm still getting the same message"
Agent: "OK, see in the left hand side of the window, where it says Macintosh HD"?
Me: "yep - got that"
Agent: "I need you to remove this and place it in a bowl"
Me: "erm, sorry"?
Agent: "yes, then put the bowl in the microwave for a few minutes and let it defrost"
Me: "sorry, what on earth are you talking about"?
Agent: "maybe there is some ice, it needs to go in a bowl"

The line then immediately goes dead as the agent hangs up, I'm left staring at the phone in mild disbelief and doubting my own sanity .... WTF, out of her depth maybe .... agent meltdown? :confused: :eek:

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've dealt with Apple high end and low end techs for years...Forgive me for being skeptical, but they just would not let somebody without language skills loose like this.

A training call? Maybe. But then the OP would have been redirected. I still smell Troll, although it is kind of pointless...:)

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
"Place it in a bowl"? Sorry, No real Apple tech. would be allowed to use vocabulary like that...(Smells Troll)

Smell whatever you like .... no troll here :rolleyes:

I thought all of Apples call centers are in the U.S. and Canada...

I believe there's one in Ireland, which like much of western Europe, has quite a large Eastern European population now too ....

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Smell whatever you like .... no troll here :rolleyes:

I believe there's one in Ireland, which like much of western Europe, has quite a large Eastern European population now too ....

I'd call back. They do work from home but have to be within 100 miles of an office. Perhaps this person was talking to someone in the background and mixed you up :p

But yea, as others stated this isn't typical of Apple. Their service is usually top notch.

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
I'd call back. They do work from home but have to be within 100 miles of an office. Perhaps this person was talking to someone in the background and mixed you up

That did cross my mind; I did call back and got through to another agent who offered apologies but said if I wanted to make a formal complaint, I'd need to send an email to contactus@apple blah blah. Part of me wants to, but part of me thinks she'd probably lose her job if they pull the tapes (assuming all calls are recorded). If it was intended for me, the girl needs help, not unemployment ....

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I've dealt with Apple high end and low end techs for years...Forgive me for being skeptical, but they just would not let somebody without language skills loose like this.

A training call? Maybe. But then the OP would have been redirected. I still smell Troll, although it is kind of pointless...:)

Totally agree. I've made literally (strict usage of that word) hundreds of calls to Applecare.

No way...

Attachments

• Grumpy Lady.png
    Grumpy Lady.png
    140 KB · Views: 64

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
This is really rude... You've called the OP a troll

Prove it Macman?

How is that rude? Clearly the OP is a troll. You are new here but go search the wasteland - you will find a lot of similar examples. I, too, have dealt with Apple for years and there is no way I am going to believe this... the person can have a meltdown - that is human nature, but would most likely show it in a more proven way.

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
In conclusion to this debacle, I notice that the OP has not posted back to provide detail or evidence to support this at all....?

"nuff said here I think...

I was the one talking to the agent, not you. I have more to do with my time (hence my 115 posts in 4.5 years -v- you @ nearly 5,000 in 9 months) than hang around forums playing 'troll' as you call it. I have nothing to prove, nor could I realistically prove the content of a call only two of us (other than my sister who heard my side) were party to. Her name was Anna if that helps .... :rolleyes:

I too have had many encounters with high and low end tech's and until now, have never had such an 'off the wall' encounter, hence I posted this simply because even I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. If you choose to cry 'troll', I hope it makes you feel better .... you believe what you want.

BTW, definition of 'troll' : to make a conscious attempt to provoke controversy or disagreement on the Internet .... Pot, kettle?

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

hjoneshjones

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
Are Apple call centers staffed with next generation iMacs or humans? You guys are saying Apple wouldn't allow this as if they are controlling their reps by computer code. Maybe, just maybe she had a bad day and burned out for a second. The OP is not slamming the product...he told his experience with cust service...I don't see that as trolling.

Reactions: CXsjr

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
I was the one talking to the agent, not you. I have more to do with my time (hence my 115 posts in 4.5 years -v- you @ nearly 5,000 in 9 months) than hang around forums playing 'troll' as you call it. I have nothing to prove, nor could I realistically prove the content of a call only two of us (other than my sister who heard my side) were party to. Her name was Anna if that helps .... :rolleyes:

I too have had many encounters with high and low end tech's and until now, have never had such an 'off the wall' encounter, hence I posted this simply because even I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. If you choose to cry 'troll', I hope it makes you feel better .... you believe what you want.

BTW, definition of 'troll' : to make a conscious attempt to provoke controversy or disagreement on the Internet .... Pot, kettle?

Have a nice day.

ComingToAmericaLaugh.gif

Owned:cool:

Reactions: CXsjr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.