Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
..and hello piracy.

If I cant buy my own music, I'll probably then just pirate it.
This is a ridiculously bad move. Seriously who comes up with the b.s? I mean 'innovation'?

[To clarify - I wrote that in a state of anger, it was just my opposition towards forced Streaming and I know that artists shouldn't lose because of corporate decisions. And I know that one can always try another service to buy those tracks/albums but then again in the real world it is just as easy to push someone to Piracy as the convenience is removed. Also if Apple had done it, don't they always lead the way and the industry follows?]
(Wait update - Now that it was a false alarm no need for this rant lol, but future is scary!)

Last edited:

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
I want to own my content and I hate subscriptions. That's not because I'm old (27) or don't like changes. The idea that a company can just remotely shut your subscription down at any moment is horrific. What's next? That we lease our next iPhone or Mac from Apple? Oh wait, for the phones that's already happening. Soon there is no other option than to get a new one every 2 or 3 years or else you're out. If you can live with a phone for 5 years now you're out. Companies having total control over everything you have in your own house is total nuts. Nobody should want that.

LightElf

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
AL
Never purchased music through iTunes, and I never will now. Also will never subscribe to Apple Music.

Apple does a lot of things right, but in this case they are completely wrong.

Reactions: BarcelonaPaul

Barry Bishop

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
This is because streaming is cheaper for Apple. Less overhead, they don't have to store the product. How can we get people to spend more...kill off iTunes now people can just use us to stream. BTW we are streaming high bit rate audio now, something you can hear through the new lighting port, and btw your Pandora and Spotify won't be able to use our tech, they won't have access to the libs for high def audio.

man3ster

macrumors member
May 12, 2009
Apple does not care. You will be in the minority while the vast majority will be happy with a streaming subscription based model.

This would be a big mistake I think.

I have no plans to ever subscribe to Apple Music or any subscription service, so if they shut down paid iTunes downloads, they'll be losing money from me every month, and my money would be shifted to other companies to buy my music, like Amazon or the physical CDs.

Don't do it, Apple.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Can Jimmy Iovine just bugger off already. Rather than killing off iTunes better integrate it with Apple Music so people don't have to go to a separate app to buy music. They could easily have a buy button for music that isn't streamable.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
This is because streaming is cheaper for Apple. Less overhead, they don't have to store the product. How can we get people to spend more...kill off iTunes now people can just use us to stream. BTW we are streaming high bit rate audio now, something you can hear through the new lighting port, and btw your Pandora and Spotify won't be able to use our tech, they won't have access to the libs for high def audio.

People would download from Amazon and move the music into iTunes.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Seeing as iTunes downloads are larger in revenue than well known brands (Pepsi for example), I'm not buying it.

My guess is this "source" is from the part of the industry that wants to see subscription based everything.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I think that (buffering buffering buffering) is a really good ( buffering buffering) idea and it's not like there are (buffering buffering) times when you have no wifi and must use ( buffering) cell ph(buffering)one data, which quickly eats into your data cap.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
At that point, iPod will officially be dead.

Only the classic (already dead, but some "walkers" still around -- I have two), and the nano. The Touch is an iOS device, and can stream with wifi...but you are right, it's so limiting.

Buy the music from Amazon and drag into iTunes.

Reactions: GreginNJ

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I can see this happening …

Think about it: The more music a customer spends on downloads, the more likely they are to switch to subscription to save money.
People (like me), who only buy an album every few months, would be the majority of remaining customers. Revenue *and* average revenue per customer is probably falling already and will continue to do so.

And if they manage to negotiate a slightly lower price (say 7-8$), they might even convince people like me, just for the convenience.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Streaming is great for finding new music, but I like to own my favorite music. Over the past few years I've started listening to music on vinyl again. My preference is records that also come with an MP3 download, so you get the best of both worlds. Or, buy a record from Amazon which almost always includes their "auto rip" digital download.

You might say that physical media is wasteful and bad for the environment, which is probably true for new records, but I like to think that I'm keeping a lot of good old music from ending up in a landfill. And for those new records, at least the artists I like make a little more money than from streaming services.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
People would download from Amazon and move the music into iTunes.
Personally, if I really like the band or song, I buy it because of the convenience. If purchases were removed, back to torrents and YouTube downloads it is. I'm not jumping through hoops to buy music from another platform.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
So Apple comes in kills physical media sales, now they want to get rid of people purchasing music all together.. I will never subscribe to online music. I own my media, besides Spotify is free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.