Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
Did the above and tested again - still the same but I tried the other ear which I have set for "Next Track" and that too turns the radio off and starts Apple Music.
One other test - left it on Siri and Siri did come up and not Apple Music.
Next: made sure Apple music was closed but it still started playing music with a double tap.
Next: turned off the double tap and that works because it didn't do anything
Next: started Apple Music and double tap works fine.
Next I will try another app - Tried NGEN Radio and it works fine. It might just be the Sports Day app.

Apps that work - Amazon Music, Way-FM and NGEN Radio

I am leaning towards the Sports Day app not working properly.

Yep. Possibly an app issue. I don't use mine but for phone calls and Apple Music.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
finally updated after doing 3 circles in my chair while holding my nose. Kidding. Yes it finally dropped. I'm getting the new ones tomorrow anyway.

Reactions: saw1980

saw1980

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
Just checking if others have received the same version firmware update for their AirPods and if there are different versions per region, etc. after updating to iOS 12.2.
My AirPods (A1523) firmware was updated to version 6.3.2 for hardware version 1.0.0. This was a rather large jump from firmware version 3.7.2. I'll look for a changelog but doubtful that I'll find one. They seem to connect and switch devices much faster. I don't know what other improvements there maybe that someone else could notice. Anyone else want to comment?

Mine updated to 6.3.2 as well. It took a few minutes, and checks, but they finally did

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2016
Did the above and tested again - still the same but I tried the other ear which I have set for "Next Track" and that too turns the radio off and starts Apple Music.
One other test - left it on Siri and Siri did come up and not Apple Music.
Next: made sure Apple music was closed but it still started playing music with a double tap.
Next: turned off the double tap and that works because it didn't do anything
Next: started Apple Music and double tap works fine.
Next I will try another app - Tried NGEN Radio and it works fine. It might just be the Sports Day app.

Apps that work - Amazon Music, Way-FM and NGEN Radio

I am leaning towards the Sports Day app not working properly.

Great app choices! If you like NGEN, you should also check out the WAY Now Music radio app too. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/way-now-music/id1037911428?mt=8

dsampley

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I rebooted my iPhone, then opened and closed the case on my air pods 2 or 3 times and the update finally installed.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
i kept checking settings -> general -> about -> airpods. went back up a few levels and went back to check the firmware again. probably did this 8 times opening and closing the airpods and it finally updated from 3.7.2 to 6.3.2. FWIW the case only had 30% battery.

i did notice that while on the airpods page, it automatically kicked me up one level while my airpods case was opened. my guess is that it rebooted.

i did not reboot my phone at all.

Reactions: SantaFeNM

kaz911

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
I thought connection was really fast today - and then I saw news about the firmware update. :)

Good update! Almost instant change between iPhone/iPhad. Connection change had been a PITA since previous iOS update.

Still waiting for st*pid UKMail/DHL Parcel to deliver the gen2's. (7pm uk)

Reactions: SantaFeNM

solor102

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Tustin, Ca
Not sure when the firmware kicked in, but I am not yet on 12.2 and the new firmware is showing. I guess it sounds better? Hard to really tell.

MikeLW

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2014
Atlanta
I just checked and my Airpods didn’t get a firmware update. Still showing 3.7.2 and a search showed no update available
I got mine to update after removing them and re-pairing them to the phone. It never prompted me about an upgrade, but after pairing, it showed the latest firmware. (Possibly I just needed to be more patient???)

kgarr

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2005
Philadelphia
I got the update as well, sometime between updating to 12.2 last night and this morning. Haven’t seen any info on the update.

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
I've tried everything suggested here but I don't know if update was done. I can't find anything, anywhere on my phone that gives me information about my Airpods. They are connected and work.

UPDATE: There's an old saying that was used in aircraft maintenance in the Air Force "you gotta be smarter than the equipment you're using ". I updated my phone to 12.2, re-paired then reconnected Airpods. To find the information on the Airpods I need to have them "connected" not just paired. I opened the Airpods case, then went to Settings>General>About and scrolled to bottom of page and voila my Airpods were listed there. Tapped on that and a new screen opened showing all my info. I am on firmware 6.3.2.
Thanks to those folks that pointed me in this direction. Learn something everyday

Last edited:

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Ive done everything listed here. No Update

Here’s what I had to do: put AirPods on charger, open case top (leave AirPods in), On phone go to settings, Bluetooth, AirPods should say “Connected”, then tap on them (not the information button but the AirPods name), it won’t appear to do anything but at this point back out to main Settings, go to General, About, then scroll down a bit and you should see your airpods below the modem information, when I first checked it was still 3.7.2, I closed Settings, let it sit for a minute, opened the same Settings —> About screen again, and they were updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.