Apple Airport AC Gen 2 Soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by btrach144, Sep 3, 2015.

1. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Hey Gang,

Do you think Apple will release an updated version of its Airport Extreme and Time Capsule 802.11AC base station? Many companies last year released second generation AC base stations but Apple is still using the original 2013 design.

For example, there were four generations of the (pizza box) Time Capsule before the current generation. On average, Apple released a new version every year. The current setup has been stagnant for two years.

I'm not looking for a new design but in the past they added or moved antennas for better performance etc.

2. aloshka macrumors 65816

I can't imagine what they would add. People rave about how well it works, etc. Redoing design: unless it's some major feature, they wont' do it. I doubt they would change it completely for "performance improvement".

IMHO mine sucks. Lots of disconnects, have to reboot TC to fix.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah.... I'd say they are a bit behind what is available now. From this chart (from here), the Apple device is a AC1750 device. There have been quite a few advancements with AC wifi that could be incorporated in an update. For example, MU-MIMO could be implemented and that would benefit existing devices without a client device update.

Attached Files:

4. btrach144 thread starter macrumors 65816

btrach144

Yes! Thank you for providing this. Hopefully Apple comes through. I switched from a second gen TC to an ASUS 2400 router. It's been awful with crappy firmware. I'm looking for a new TC but I don't want to experience buyers remorse.

5. lllfyc macrumors newbie

same here , need a new router and external hard disc... TC would be best option for its easy to use factor ...
    however no word until now and not sure if there will be an Oct event ...

any ideas??

6. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

I did notice the refurbished ones on Apple.com have dropped another $20 (for a total of $120 discount off MSRP). Not sure if that is a good sign or not.

Also since the iPad Pro, iPhone 6s/6s+, and Apple TV4 all were updated to AC with MIMO you would think they would update their routers. I'm also hoping for an update to the hard drive sizes in the time capsules. HDD drive prices have dropped a lot in the last 2 years. I feel like for $300 and $400 the time capsules should be 4TB and 6TB or something like that.

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

The current AC AirPorts are nice. The TCs are limited with their storage options 2-4-6TB options would be a nice addition