Apple Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SuperMiguel, Oct 1, 2012.

1. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

Does the ethernet port feeds a computer??

Like can i set it as a dhcp server and connect a computer to that ethernet port? or it is just for to connect to another router?

Also can this guy extend my iphone connectivity?

2. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Not sure exactly what you are going for, but the Airport Express is great for sharing internet that is restricted to 1 device, say for example at some hotels. Like, if you access limited wifi internet on your MacBook, but only to your MacBook, when you can't use that wifi with your iOS devices. I had this problem while overseas, so I bought an Airport Express because it has a handy little trick.

Connect the Airport Express to your MacBook via the ethernet cable. Access the wifi on your MacBook, then in the Settings, share the internet received over Wifi with your ethernet connection. That way, the Airport Express will stream that same wifi over its own network, so you can connect your iOS devices. It works great without any reduction in internet speed. You would still have to setup the outgoing network on your Airport Express.

I hope this helps answer one of your questions. If not, well then I typed a whole lot for nothing, haha.

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I haven't used the newer Express but I have used my last gen Express as a Wifi adaptor for my older XBOX360.

I had the Express set up as a wifi extender then connected the Xbox into the ethernet port to gain access to online content.
    I am sure the new one would work the same but I am not 100% there.

4. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I have plugged a router into the plug on my version 1 Airport Express and had no issues. But that is of course extending from an Airport Extreme so not sure if it would work with other routers.