Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imotionb18

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
I've got a question about my download speeds while on wifi. I just tested connection speeds while on wifi and with my macbook pro directly connected to my modem. My download speeds are pretty different. Should my d/l speeds fluctuate this much? Here are the results.

Wifi

Ping- 34 ms
D/L - 15.84 mbps
Up - 2.85 mbps

Conneted to modem

Ping- 31.07ms
D/L- 23.07 mbps
Up- 2.88 mbps

Toonbay

macrumors 6502
i would say yes this is fairly common. you are always going to get lower speeds across wifi compared to direct wired connection to your modem

EDIT:

I just tested my connection speed. I am getting 18.5Mb download and I'm on 20Mb service so i am not getting a huge drop over wifi so looking at your results it does seem slower but as ever there are always a number of things to take into account.

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will post shortly to help you out.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've got a question about my download speeds while on wifi. I just tested connection speeds while on wifi and with my macbook pro directly connected to my modem. My download speeds are pretty different. Should my d/l speeds fluctuate this much? Here are the results.

Wifi

Ping- 34 ms
D/L - 15.84 mbps
Up - 2.85 mbps

Conneted to modem

Ping- 31.07ms
D/L- 23.07 mbps
Up- 2.88 mbps

i would say yes this is fairly common. you are always going to get lower speeds across wifi compared to direct wired connection to your modem

Yep. WiFi will always be slower than a wired connection. Wired is faster, more reliable and more secure than WiFi. I always recommend using a wired connection where possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.