Apple Airport Extreme Base Station & Ethernet Switches

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by i1280, Nov 8, 2014.

1. i1280 macrumors regular

i1280

Has anyone had any experience with the Apple Airport Extreme and adding on an additional Ethernet switch? I'm close to purchasing the Extreme, but it doesn't have enough Ethernet ports for what I would like. I am looking at this set up:

Apple Airport Extreme combined with TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Metal Housing Switch, TEG-S80g.

Has anyone had experience adding o an ethernet switch or would anyone have any advice? Is it hard to set up? Could I name it the same as the current router and give it the same password and not have to change all the login info? I imagine it's not that easy?

I currently have the following either hardwired or connecting to the WiFi:

2 Windows Laptops
    1 Windows Desktop
    2 Mini iPads
    2 iPhones
    1 TiVo
    1 PS3
    1 Epson Printer
    1 Onkyo Stereo
    1 Panasonic Bluray Player

I am also planning on getting a MacBookPro in the near future.

Any help is greatly appreciated and as always, thanks in advance for the help and I apologize for the ignorance. :cool:

2. priitv8 macrumors 68030

If you buy an average non-managed consumer switch, then there is nothing to congfigure or set up. It is a dumb device operating at the wire level of Ethernet. Just plug it in.
    I did get a Netgear 5-port gigabit switch to do just that.

3. i1280 thread starter macrumors regular

i1280

So you pretty much just plug it in to the Extreme with one of the ports and go? Do you think I can do the same with the Trendnet?

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You can plug in any unmanaged switch (which is pretty much any consumer-level one) and it will "just work". I recently got an Airport Extreme to use instead of the crappy router I got with Virgin Cable: I set it up with the same SSID and password as my old setting and everything just connected to it without any reconfig needed on my devices

5. i1280 thread starter macrumors regular

i1280