Apple Airport Extreme (New Version) Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Beantown, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Beantown macrumors member

Hey guys, just got a new Apple Airport Extreme, replacing my older one. I set it up like I always have, and it works fine for my MacBook, but it doesn't seem to work for my dad's PC laptop. The previous Airport worked fine. This one connects, but when I go to open the internet on his computer, it doesn't work, and just hangs up. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Bean:apple:

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

It is entirely possible that your father's PC does not have a dynamic (DHCP) address assignment and the AE has a different default IP subnet than most routers (Apple uses a 172.x or 10.x address, most routers use 192.x), leaving your father's machine "stranded".

So.... first thing to do is make sure his wi-fi or ethernet interface that's connected to the AE is set for DHCP, then verify you can ping the "default router" or "default gateway" from his PC.

3. Beantown, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

Beantown thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Only thing is that I haven't used a PC in years (ever since I bought my first Mac) and I have no idea how to check for the DHCP like you talk about. Any more insight into that would be great.

I'll research it in the meantime.

Thanks again.

EDIT: I think I've found what you're talking about regarding the DHCP. All the appropriate boxes are checked and the settings are on Automatic, which from what I've read, means DHCP is enabled. What do I do from here?

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

See if the PC is getting assigned an IP from the AE. On my Win 7 PC I right-click the Ethernet icon in the task bar, select Open Network Connections, then I click on the Local Ethernet device. In the popup screes, click the Details button. It will list the device information including IP, Mask and Gateway.

5. Beantown thread starter macrumors member

I think I found what you mean. It lists a bunch of Properties and Values. For "DHCP Enabled" it says "Yes". Any ideas?

Thanks.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Open a command window (Run-> cmd) and type the command ipconfig/all This will display all the network information. Verify that it matches with what the AE has.

Does the AE show the pc as a client? I it possible that the pc is connecting to somewhere else? It happened once when my wife accidentally connected to our neighbors router and she couldn't print.

7. Beantown thread starter macrumors member

Just did that and got a lot of information given back. The first thing is the "Windows IP Configuration" The "IP Routing Enabled" is "No" and the "WINS Proxy Enabled" is also "No"

The Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection has DHCP enabled...not really sure what I'm looking for here. Sorry to be such an ignoramus I just don't know my way around PC's anymore.

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

The first part is normal. Under the wireless adapter what does it show for IP address, default gateway, and DNS servers? Please post the actual numbers.

9. Beantown thread starter macrumors member

IPv4: 10.0.1.2 (Preferred)

Default Gateway: 10.0.1.1

DNS: 10.0.1.1

10. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

That looks good so no problem there. Using the same command window, try pinging various servers. Start with the gateway, then another computer on the same LAN then try some outside locations. Try both domain names and P addresses. I'm thing a possible DNS issue.

11. Beantown thread starter macrumors member

How do I do this?

12. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

The first thing you need to do is get to a command prompt on the wintel laptop and type ping 10.0.1.1 and report the results here.

13. Serban Suspended

so your father PC doesnt work either wifi and if you connect a cable between AE and PC?