Apple Airport Extreme Not Working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trneiba, Dec 7, 2013.

1. trneiba macrumors newbie

Hello, I recently got an Apple Airport Extreme, and I cannot get it to work the way I need it to. I have a Westell 7500 Modem/Router hooked up right now, and i'm wanting to use the Airport Extreme instead. I have looked up tutorials on how to configure both devices, but I cannot get either to work correctly. Can somebody help me? The exact configuration that I want is the Westell used as a modem (not broadcasting anything wirelessly) and the Airport broadcasting a signal. Thank you in advance!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You want to disable wireless and put the Westell in "bridge mode". See this thread. Once that is done just hookup the Extreme normally and setup a wifi PW in the Extreme.

3. trneiba thread starter macrumors newbie

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Password = PW

5. trneiba thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I thought. But I wasn't sure if it was something else since it was dealing with set up.

But now what ports do I connect the ethernet cables to? From the Westell to the Airport

6. pdjudd macrumors 601

Look for a port that might be colored differently from the others or is labeled WAN. If there is nothing labeled then it might not matter at all.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There will be four ethernet ports on the back. One is blue and labelled WAN... don't use that one.... you want to use any of the other four LAN ports. Go from one of those four ports to the WAN port on the the Extreme.