Apple Airport Extreme or Linksys e3000 Router?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dland2, Aug 2, 2011.

1. dland2 macrumors newbie

I was wondering what everyone thinks is the better buy for a router? The refurb for the e3000 is $72 and the refurb for the airport extreme (Oct. 2009 version) is $130. I need simultaneous dual bands along with an overall reliable product. Thank you so much for your help.

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

The AE would be my choice. Not impressed with the Linksys stuff I've used.

Having said that, the router I use in my two locations is the D-Link DIR-655. I don't think it does the two bands though. (Two SSIDs, yes.) It's very fast, with a superb firewall and QoS engine, and has been reliable in my experience.

3. ra004e macrumors regular

I have e3000 and it's been incredible, great signal, never reboot it, works great with all apple products. Not saying anything for or against airport, just personally have had a great experience with e3000. And yes 2 SSID's and dual band. My 2 cents

4. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

As long as you are ok with putting DD-WRT on the E3000 it is a great choice. I have it running here and am pretty happy with it.

Airport is good too if you dont care about features like local DNS cache, Wake on LAN, VPN, , dual antennas etc. The separate 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands etc. are pretty useful features of the E3000.

5. dland2 thread starter macrumors newbie

May I ask what "DD-WRT" is and how to install it? Thanks for your help.

6. parapup, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Dd-wrt is alternate open source firmware for various wifi routers. It has added features and generally works better than official firmware. Installation is easy. Check this link for E3000 specific instructions. The instructions on that page are needlessly complicated - just check the items 5 and 11 in Flashing instructions section.

7. dland2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! Thanks