Apple Airport Extreme terrible performance

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AMDGAMER, Sep 18, 2012.

1. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

I have a 4th gen apple extreme, replaced it with a 5th gen, same issues. The 5MHZ setting works great, but the 2.4ghz (which iphone 4 requires) is terrible. It obviously has some interference (baby monitors, cordless phones etc) I tested it with apple tech on the phone, when I go right up to the router I get like 20mbps or something close, once I'm 15 feet away, its down to 3mbps. It drops a lot, etc. Apple said its interference, tried bunch of settings changes etc. Only thing that WORKS is ipad 3 on 5ghz frequency, but that doesn't solve my problem for devices that aren't able to do 5ghz band.

Question is: Why did my crappy 25 dollar linksys that I gave away have no issues and these 200 dollar apple routers cant seem to get it right?

I'm about to order a linksys or medialink off amazon and see if it goes back to normal, cause its been about 2 years of this crappy on and off service. any thoughts or advice?

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I have had the Extreme for quite a while and it is obviously either something wrong with the one you have or something interfering quite bad. I get 25+Mb/s without issue all throughout my house (about 5000sqft). You shouldn't be having such problems.

3. AMDGAMER, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

AMDGAMER thread starter macrumors 6502

I have two that had the same issues. Apple support wasn't helpful at all for the first time in my experience. I bought two of these routers and apple just seemed to tell me its interference without offering too much advice. I guess I should have called back and gotten someone else.

Uplugged portable phones. one test i get 9mbps, then down to 1.08 mpps. even up to the router im getting 10mbps today right on top of it.

any app that can make iphone 4 accept 5ghz?

4. AMDGAMER thread starter macrumors 6502

turned off "wide channels" and im getting 26mbps on my wireless n adapter now to the desktop. maybe that was it?

5. AMDGAMER thread starter macrumors 6502

worked better for about 10 mins then same story?

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Have you changed the channel # it operates on? Perhaps a neighbor has their WiFi on the same channel. Turn off the auto mode and try several fixed channels to see if it helps. There are apps which will sniff the WiFi band and show you the SSID, CH, lock status, and signal strength of nearby WiFi signals.

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

That is a clear indication of interference.

8. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

If you are running ML, you can easily check for networks around you and get other diagnostics from the Airport Extreme utility.

1. Option-click on the Airport icon in your menu bar
    2. Scroll to the bottom of the list and select "Open wi-fi diagnostics"
    3. Ignore the window that pops up and instead go up to the menu bar and select "View>Wi-Fi Scan"
    4. Take a look at the other networks around you, and if any of them are transmitting on channels that you are trying to also transmit on, go and manually set yours in the Airport Extreme settings.

If you are on Lion, you can download and try iStumbler:

http://istumbler.net

9. AMDGAMER thread starter macrumors 6502