Apple Airport Help - 2.4/5Ghz Networks

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by airomero83, May 19, 2015.

1. airomero83, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015

airomero83 macrumors newbie

Hi! Just purchased new Apple Airport Extreme and curious about how to set-up my wi-fi network. I have devices that support both ranges and some that only support 2.4Ghz. In the Wireless section of Airport Utility, I see that I can create a Wireless network. If I do it just here, will it create one network/SSID using both ranges and devices connect and choose automatically the best range?? Or just the 2.4Ghz? I ask because I noticed that under Wireless > Wireless Options section, there's an option to select and create a 5GHz network name.

Sorry for the dumb questions as I am new to this new router :D

2. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

I'm not 100% sure but I've set them up with two separate names..."network name 2.4G" and "network name 5G". My printer, Windows PC and satellite TV box are 2.4GHz only so they are obviously on that network and I have everything else that's wi-fi connected on 5GHz.

It all seems to work ok. I'm sure I've read somewhere on these forums that it's best to give them separate names.

3. airomero83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. I was kind of hoping I could use one SSID for the both ranges. Reason why is because my wireless printer only supports 2.4ghz but would like to have my iPhone use 5GHz. With them being on different networks, I wouldn't be able to AirPrint.

Could I possibly create two networks but name them the same??? Would that work?

4. interstella, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015

interstella macrumors regular

interstella

That won't be a problem. I have my iPhone on 5GHz and printer on 2.4GHz and AirPrint works fine. My MacBook and iPad are also on 5GHz and, again, no problem printing to via AirPrint.

As I mentioned before, I have separate network names.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Don't confuse separate SSID with separate network. You can have two separate SSIDs allowing connections to the same network. Basically, even if the two SSIDs don't have the same name, they still serve the same network and your printer and iphone will still be able to communicate just fine for AirPrint.

6. airomero83 thread starter macrumors newbie

gotcha, that makes sense! I tested it out and it indeed works! Thanks once again for all the help!

7. eduardrw macrumors 6502

Most people set it up with one common SSID for both 2.4 and 5GHz.

This way you create a "roaming" network where the devices decide what their best connection speed will be based on their wifi capability, location, signal strength etc.

For example if the device is close to the router it may connect at 5GHz (short range) with very high speed. If you walk further away it will switch to 2.4GHz at a lower speed but better range than 5GHz.

8. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

The reason for that option is to separate the two IF you wanted to.
    Simply easier to use just one - split only if you are having issues.

9. airomero83, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015

airomero83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually that's what I was hoping to do. Have one main SSID and have that "roaming" functionality.

eduardrw/AFEPPL
    - Thanks for the insight! Can you provide some brief instructions on how to exactly do that? I have an ATV downstairs that is nearby the ABE (downstairs) but the ATV upstairs and opposite ends of house might be better suited for the 2.4 versus 5Ghz. I would like each device to make that determination automatically.

Thanks in advance!

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

By default, the AirPort uses the same SSID for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Checking the "Create 5 GHz Network" box will enable another SSID for strictly 5 GHz. I leave mine in the default mode and it negotiates between the two bands wonderfully!