apple airport / internet problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by baucau, May 5, 2011.

1. baucau macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a MacBook (2010) running on 10.6.7 with Safari as my main browser. I am having regular problems where my internet connection is dropping out. The only way I know this is that Skype goes offline, as my airport icon continues to show full connection to my wifi. The modem also shows full connection & another computer I have here (acer with windows) has no drop outs at all.

I have run network diagnostics and it also says that i have internet connection, despite not being able to open any pages.

It is becoming increasingly frustrating. I have tried reseting the modem etc, but no change.

Any help?

Thanks
    Baucau

2. laflores macrumors regular

Check your firewall

Hello, this is my first post, but I had the same problem as you.
    A couple of weeks ago, I started having problems surfing the internet while using Safari, but using Firefox, mail or MSN was ok. I found out that my problem was that my modem had a firewall setting that, for an unknown reason, was blocking Safari. I noted that because the firewall log in the modem said it was receiving suspicious activities from my macbook pro IP address.
    So all I had to do was to turn off the firewall in my modem. I have an Airport Extreme Base Station, so it works as a firewall, and I have my firewall turned on in my MBP, so I'm still protected.