Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
It's true! Check it out! Look at all the brand new apps that came out today. There's even one that doesn't save your history or cache so that you don't have to cover your tracks (if you're being naughty).

Also, I noticed today there's a new fart app called iQuief!

I guess Apple is loosening it's grip even more now.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
You really had to include that iQuief link there don't yah? :p

Sorry... I just think iQuief is just too rude to be on the AppStore... what were they thinking? What's next? iPussyFart? Excuse my language but, stuff like that shouldn't be on the AppStore. I wanna go back to the Sudoku and Calculator days!

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
Sorry... I just think iQuief is just too rude to be on the AppStore... what were they thinking? What's next? iPussyFart? Excuse my language but, stuff like that shouldn't be on the AppStore. I wanna go back to the Sudoku and Calculator days!

ROFL! I'd buy that just to say I had it. :-D

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Not worth my time or money. Waiting for Opera Mini, then I'll be happy.

These all appear to be different interfaces for the basic Safari stuff "under the hood." Kind of like skins, really. So it still "is" Safari, just with different features.

Meaning, I'd bet $1,000 that Opera and Firefox still aren't allowed on the iPhone. Just a hunch.

So just a shell over safari?

Pretty much.

Still cool, though. I LOVE the one that lets you lock the screen orientation. I probably won't download it, but perhaps these will encourage Apple to update "real" Safari with some of these features.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
These all appear to be different interfaces for the basic Safari stuff "under the hood." Kind of like skins, really. So it still "is" Safari, just with different features.

Meaning, I'd bet $1,000 that Opera and Firefox still aren't allowed on the iPhone. Just a hunch.

Well, damn. With Firefox, that's all right. But even though I've had no problems with Safari on the iPhone or iPod touch, I'd much prefer a real browser.

Here's to hoping Opera comes eventually.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I wouldn't necessarily call these browsers but more just different UIs for Safari/WebKit. Call me when they allow an entirely different engine.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I figured that these browsers are just copies of Safari, but before today, we didn't even see ONE of these... and now there's like 5 new ones. What's next? email applications?... SMS applications?

kdarling

macrumors P6
So just a shell over safari?

More like a shell app containing Safari.

Just as with almost every other mobile SDK, you can place an HTML display component (i.e. browser piece) inside your app's window. Then you can tell it what URL to load, etc. (I think the eBay app uses one to display item details.)

So you just provide a URL entry area and whatever other controls you want (and the SDK allows) and you have an instant "new" web browser.

Developers do it with IE on WinMo all the time, either to make standalone HTML apps, or to provide extra features such as... wait for it... fingertip scrolling.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Edge browser is almost worth using. It frees up screen real estate, no url bar or large navigation bar...but how do you type in where your going?

If the url bar would come up when you double tap or double swipe or something, then I would be in heaven. Iphone has 3.5" of screen yet somebody thought it would be a good idea to take up 30% of it with the url bar and buttons.

Not the brightest move ever.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Why the hell would I pay for this? The only free one is only available for iPhone, which I don't have.
And these aren't current web browsers available for desktop so Safari Mobile's probably better.
I'm still waiting for Firefox or Opera.
Hey, this may make Apple seem like they have lost it but at least they don't have an Internet Explorer Mobile app yet.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

Why stop there? iPeriod with 3D effects and noises can't be far off. Then we will have iMoan, which will merely be sound effects to get co-workers in trouble. Then of course we'll have iRacist, where you can record someone's voice and then modulate it so the playback has that person using racial slurs.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Why stop there? iPeriod with 3D effects and noises can't be far off. Then we will have iMoan, which will merely be sound effects to get co-workers in trouble. Then of course we'll have iRacist, where you can record someone's voice and then modulate it so the playback has that person using racial slurs.

iCum. iConstipated. iRape. iAsian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.