Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Reactions: paulCC

paulCC

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
Apple was in a difficult situation - the Putin regime will not hesitate to charge some hapless Apple employee in Russia with terorism charges, they have already done it several times to people who just posted online about Crimea.
I would have liked Apple take a bold step - remove all its employees from Russia, and/or display a white rectangle where Crimea is on the map. "hic sunt leones".

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
I don’t know why people expect Apple to be social activists. I pay Apple to make computers. Not world peace.

All that’s gonna happen if Apple sticks it to the Russian government or the Chinese government, or whatever government, in whatever trivial way Apple can, is that government is gonna stick it back to Apple. And management at the company we want to be busy making computers for us is going to be busy bickering with foreign governments over lines on a map, keyboard emojis...

I get why Cook is spending so much time in the news with Trump. That whole US/China trade agreement thing impacts Apple significantly. But keyboard emojis? The labeling of territorial disputes? Apple damn well better find the easiest way to make it a non-issue and move on.

As many problems as there were with iOS 13, I would be so ticked if I saw Tim Cook in the news bickering with Vladimir Putin over how Crimea should be drawn on a map.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Apple has done it again, the greed. TimChina TimRussia TimCommunist?

Nope. When you sell software in certain countries you have to abide by their laws. There are people whose sole job is to go over these kinds of things before an international software release. It isn’t some kind of crazy conspiracy theory, they’re simply following the law.

Reactions: levander

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
When you sell software in certain countries you have to abide by their laws.
I would be so ticked if I saw Tim Cook in the news bickering with Vladimir Putin over how Crimea should be drawn on a map.

Just imagine all the weird forms of this conformism in regards to Nazi Germany, if Apple existed during WWII. Apple Maps showing a map of the Third Reich over all Europe, for example.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Just imagine all the weird forms of this conformism in regards to Nazi Germany, if Apple existed during WWII. Apple Maps showing a map of the Third Reich over all Europe, for example.

You live in a strange, politically religious world.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Apple has done it again, the greed. TimChina TimRussia TimCommunist?
FFS, Russia is no longer communist (authoritarian yes but then even "democratic" countries aren't really anymore) and China is also capitalist dressed in communist wrapping.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
You live in a strange, politically religious world.
I am from Ukraine, where Russia has seized the Crimea, turned two regions into black holes full of their militaries, proxy mercenaries and terrorists. And Russia did this with many neighbouring countries from post-soviet company and plans more of that. Any surprise, why inhumane totalitarian despots are usually making friends with Russia? Any more questions?
[automerge]1582887695[/automerge]
FFS, Russia is no longer communist (authoritarian yes but then even "democratic" countries aren't really anymore) and China is also capitalist dressed in communist wrapping.
They still have the same mindset.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I am from Ukraine, where Russia has seized the Crimea, turned two regions into black holes full of their militaries, proxy mercenaries and terrorists. And Russia did this with many neighbouring countries from post-soviet company and plans more of that. Any surprise, why inhumane totalitarian despots are usually making friends with Russia? Any more questions?

Okay, point taken - in fact it's worse in that minimal social protection that existed back then is gone.

BTW what do Apple (and Google for that matter) show for the Crimea when accessed in Ukraine?

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011

I understand much of the world is run by tyrants. But Apple refusing to alter maps to reflect political realities that have existed for many years now isn’t going to help anything. And it could hurt Apple because governments will be wondering how much they want Apple in their country with them all running around making political statements and what-not.

I think the people in those areas are better served by an Apple that’s willing to accept political realities so that Apple products are still readily available to the people in those areas. Russia isn’t going to withdraw from Crimea if Apple refuses to redraw borders. But they very well could increase tariffs on Apple products, pricing a lot of people out of being able to buy Apple products.

I just think you’re calling the wrong people up on the phone. You want the international affairs department, not the computer manufacturer department.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
Okay, point taken - in fact it's worse in that minimal social protection that existed back then is gone.

BTW what do Apple (and Google for that matter) show for the Crimea when accessed in Ukraine?

From inside of Ukraine:
- Apple maps clearly shows that Crimea is Ukraine.
- Google Maps does not mention the country name, but it usually not showing belonging of territories when you are inside of that country.

From outside:
- Apple clearly says that Crimea is Ukraine.
- Google says that Crimea is just Crimea. They probably can justify that by autonomy of Crimea in Ukraine, but who knows what do they mean.

So Apple has more straightforward position, that's why their deviation in Russia is unexpected. Google is very 'flexible' on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
You want the international affairs department, not the computer manufacturer department.
I expect only that American companies to follow directions of their government.

I think the people in those areas are better served by an Apple
Should not be served, as per following:
On December 19, 2014, the President issued E.O. 13685 pursuant to, inter alia, IEEPA and NEA to take additional steps to address the Russian occupation of the Crimea region of Ukraine. E.O. 13685 prohibits the exportation or importation of any goods, services, or technology to or from the Crimea region of Ukraine, and prohibits new investment in the Crimea region of Ukraine by a U.S. person, wherever located.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.