apple Alu Keyboard issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by benpatient, Nov 14, 2008.

1. benpatient macrumors 68000

So when I got my MacPro this spring, it came with one of the new aluminum flat keyboards. I have a good wireless keyboard that I've always liked, and I didn't want to switch, so I just left the MP kb in the box.

Well the wireless one went out and I pulled out my still-in-the-wrapper aluminum keyboard to use it. I quickly discovered that my 'a' and 'caps-lock' keys didn't work unless I pushed down on them so hard i was worried I would break the plastic of they keys.

All the other keys work fine.

So I took it to the Apple store and showed them and they went to the shelf and opened up a retail packaged kb and swapped mine out for that one. no receipt, no hassles, just a nice easy swap of defective hardware.

Well, I'm typing on that replacement keyboard right now and guess what? My right arrow key doesn't work the first time I push it. I have to push it twice to make it work. The first time is like a practice push, and then every one after that in quick succession will work. Doesn't matter if I hold it down or not, the first keystroke will not register. Not with a shift modifier, not ever. The left arrow works fine, as do the rest of the keys, as far as I can tell.

So i hit the arrow key and nothing happens. If I hit it again, it responds, and it will keep on responding as long as I keep hitting it (or holding it down), but then if I use some other part of the keyboard, it will "reset" the unresponsive behavior.

I looked around online for any indication that this is normal and all i could find is a bunch of posts about leopard and laptop keyboards not working. I don't think this is related.

Let me be clear, my other, broken keyboard wouldn't respond no matter how many times you pushed the letter 'a' unless you really really forced it down into the metal. This one will respond to the slightest touch, but only on the second and consecutive presses...

This can be very, very annoying when you're selecting blocks of text and using a lot of keyboard shortcuts. mouse-based text selection is rarely accurate enough for the kind of work I do.

My work-around has been to try and go from right to left instead of left to right to avoid having the use the right arrow key, but it's pretty frustrating.

Does this sound like ANOTHER physically defective keyboard? what are the odds of that? Is there some sort of apple support document I could look at, or a software update that wouldn't come through the regular software update utility?

thanks.

2. benpatient thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks for all the helpful feedback, community.

3. clarksonknight macrumors regular

Hello, irony. :rolleyes:

At any rate, it appears that there haven't been a lot of people affected by this, hence the lack of helpful feedback.

Have you attempted using another type of USB keyboard? I'd try one more swap, too, just to see if you did indeed have two defective ones. Repair permissions and all that jazz, but I'm sure you've already been there.

4. benpatient thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah, I've tried 2 different, non-apple keyboards and one of the old apple "pro" white/clear keyboards.

No problems with any of them.

I hesitate to bring ANOTHER keyboard back as defective. I don't want to wear out my welcome...

5. ascender macrumors 68020

But it clearly is defective, so why are you worried?

6. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

There was an alu keyboard firmware update earlier this year - you might check software updates to see if it is available, and if so follow the procedure to update it.

7. clarksonknight macrumors regular

I would keep going back until you get one that works. I went through 3 iPhone 3Gs this summer before I found one that was semi-acceptable, and even now it's far from perfect. Apple quality isn't what it once was, but that's mainly because the demand is so high.

8. benpatient thread starter macrumors 68000

1 or 2 more trips to the apple store and I will have spent as much in gas as it would cost me to get another keyboard from apple.com.

I tried the firmware update...didn't think a keyboard would have "firmware" but of course it does. It told me that I did not need the update because my keyboard "already has this functionality."

So at least I know it isn't that.

*sigh*

I guess I have to take it back again...

9. pobrecito macrumors newbie