Apple Aluminium Bluetooth Keyboard Keys

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aboo, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine was cleaning out his garage and found a couple of apple aluminium bluetooth keyboards (the brand new ones that don't have the number pad; model A1255 I believe). After cleaning them up and connecting them, I was happy to note that both of the keyboards work - the only problem preventing their daily use is that two keys (the white parts) are missing. I was wondering if there was any way to purchase these keys separately and install them. If so, where should I look for them and is there a difference between these white keys and those for the white macbooks?

Thanks in advance!

2. Aboo thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If the computer(s) the keyboards came with is/are covered by the 1 yr limited warranty or by AppleCare you could just request replacement keyboards. The alternative would be to bring it to a retail store and see if they can swap it out there.

4. Aboo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi Jedimaster,

The thing is I don't know if the Apple keyboards are covered under warranty since this seems to be a damage issue and not technically a material defect. I don't live near an Apple Retail store, so I can't really take it in to one. I called up Apple Care and they mentioned that by the sounds of it, the keys may have been intentionally removed, and that they would still setup a replacement, but if it was determined at their depot that the keys were indeed damaged due to physical abuse, etc., I would be charged about 80 bucks per keyboard. Honestly, since I don't know what had happened to them, I don't want to risk Apple charging me the 160 bucks total (80 for each keyboard) if indeed this damage was caused by physical abuse. It seems like an easy enough repair, its just a matter of finding the replacement keys themselves.

Thanks again.