Apple Aluminium Monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jakesaunders27, Jan 26, 2014.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

What do you think about having the older Apple Cinema Displays (e.g. 20,23,30) are they too old to buy now? What about the 24s?

Also, 2 23s or 1 30 etc

Cheers

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There is no issues with buying an older display. As long as they are in good shape and are for a good price, then go for it. The biggest issue that could happen to them as they age is the LCD bulb burning out or a dying inverter. However, Apple displays are generally reliable.

3. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Cool cheers!

4. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

Get 2 or 3 30's...I love 'em. I hooked up 4 to my Mac Pro. You should do the same!!!

5. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I would definitely recommend one. Personally, I still think they are one of the best looking displays on a desk.

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

CAREFUL NOW!

I know everyone wants to go gushy for the ACDs they are a bit long in the tooth and depending on price you can get a newer ACD (LED) or spend a bit more for a used 27" ACD or TBolt.

With that being said, it's the price that truly matters.

Also, remember that even in the 30" ACD there were defects that may not show until later in the life of the panel.

Lastly, the bricks are notorious for conking out, and finding them is a bit of a pain.

So again, if the price is right, it's the best IPS panel with a great looking case you can find. If the price is a bit up there, then you DO have better options even in the Apple ecosystem still, let alone top notch panels with newer up-to-date specs that trump the ACDs.

7. mikepj macrumors regular

They are great displays, but check the condition of the backlight before purchasing. I have a 20" model here and all the colors look a bit faded since the backlight isn't as bright as it used to be.

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I got a great deal on Craigslist for a 23" ACD. It's been great. Anything much larger is too big for my desk so it works well.

9. emeldahay macrumors member

Anyone know of a VESA mount adapter for the 30" cinema?

10. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I am even old school! I have one of the 22" ACDs with ADC connected to my Mac Pro. I think one reason I haven't updated to a aluminum 23" is I like the look of the older ones and they can be had cheap enough. The only thing that bothers me is the dimness but seems to fade away after being on a few minutes.

Later this week I'll be trying to get one of the 23" ACDs that is dubbed the first "Cinema Display HD" so we'll see how that goes!

11. Flat-Line macrumors newbie

I believe it's the Apple VESA Mount Kit M9649G/A, hard to read this old box.
    Older style white box w/gray trim and green label on top.
    Should work with 20", 23" and 30". Comes with two different sized mounts, i believe the 20" and 23" share the size mount and the other one in the box is for the 30".

12. Flat-Line macrumors newbie

Personally i prefer the look of the older aluminum 20", 23" and 30" but the newer displays 24" and 27" color seem crisper to me.
    The older ones also seem to give off more heat than the newer ones.

Roll with dual displays if you can especially if you're big on multitasking and have a big desk. Mounting them on arms gives you back a lot of land.

Depending on what you do on your Mac, I've found mounting one monitor vertically and leaving the other normal is more useful than two side by side.

13. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Yeah I have the ADC and 20" Cinema Display but the colours are going and there is backlight bleed now. :/

----------

Yeah I was thinking of putting them on arms, and i wouldn't be able to do the one vertical one normal as i need my Logic & Pro Tools projects to stretch across both displays.

14. Flat-Line macrumors newbie

I think i have one of those in a closet somewhere, let me know if you're interested.

----------

K i see. Those 20" and 23" will work good on most inexpensive arms since their not too heavy, you won't need to waste money on something sturdier like boas or humanscales.

15. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Well if you're looking to free up some closet space, i'd be more than interested. :p