Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Apple should come out with a Hub soon atleast to have a dedicated Siri.

I agree. Using my phone works, but sometimes I don't know where it is.

EDIT: I can use my watch, but it's slow to respond compared to the iPhone.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I recently got an Echo Dot and I love this thing!
I can even setup AT&T as a skill and I can tell Alexa to send a text to someone on my list.
The voice is clear, natural and pleasant and sounds like a real person.
I haven't been able to stump her (LOL!) yet.
Apple has it's work cut out for them. Here's hoping they catch up soon.

I agree! Apple does have a lot of work to do. I would be happy to go with Homekit at some point but right now, the Echo is just too damn useful to ignore.

Reactions: TroyJam and DotCom2

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Personally, I value security at a lot. So will choose HomeKit definitely.

Regardless of ecosystem, I don't see the benefit in a lot of these smartphone devices though. Smart thermostats are great, and a smart garage door opener I can see the benefit to.

But smart locks are not even close to being technologically sufficient for my comfort level. Smart everything else seems to be insanely expensive for the minor convenience. Smart bulbs, smart light switches, smart plus, etc. No thanks, dollar to dollar, those are not worth it. I really don't mind standing up and flipping my basic $3 electrical supply store switch.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I agree with a lot of folks. Security is the most important thing. That's why I don't use any home automation.:D Apple touts security of Homekit, but we all know there is no system that can't be cracked. Not secure enough for me.;)

I'll stick with a 2 inch solid iron entry door with triple deadbolts, 1" thick iron bars around the windows and 20 camera CCTV. I might add a paintball turret system to deter those pesky Jehovah Witnesses and neighborhood kids.o_O:D:D

All joking aside, :apple: dropped the ball on this one. Their system doesn't work as advertized and is expensive to boot.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Apple can try to justify Homekit all they want but the fact is that, currently, the Amazon device is much more versatile. Amazon has developed the Echo to the point where anyone can use it easily and it controls just about everything. Sorry Apple, your blowing it on this one.

As far as security? Sure, it would be nice if Amazon had more emphasis on security but for me, I can care less if someone wants to turn my living room light on and off.

I would read up on what the actual hack would do, turning your lights off and on is the very least of your worries.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
There will be a very hard difference between Pro HomeKit people and those who are against it. I value security and privacy over technology which is why I only use HomeKit devices.

More expensive, less choice, lots of issues but hearing Apple's requirements makes me a proud HomeKit user. I don't want someone watching me eat or sleep or unlocking my deadbolt or turning my house into a dance party w/o my permission.

The failure of HomeKit is perfectly aligned with how iOS, Siri and CarPlay have failed (compared to the Android counterparts). Apple puts privacy over functionality and this hurts them in the long-run. I applaud Apple's commitment to privacy.

You are a happy inmate to the apple prison. Enjoy the meals, and the sex (I hear it's great)

Reactions: ssgbryan

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
A lot of the possibilities are intriguing though I'm not quite ready to throw money at any of them. I feel like many are trying to solve a problem that I don't really have. I plan to wait and see who, if anyone, gains a stronghold. Also, the more cross platform connectivity, the better.

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012

Apple has been in the smart home market for over two years, having introduced its HomeKit framework in the fall of 2014 alongside iOS 8, but HomeKit has been slow to get off the ground because of the company's strict requirements.

Amazon, meanwhile, entered the smart home market somewhat later with its Alexa-enabled Echo in-home speaker officially launching in the summer of 2015, but Amazon's Echo already supports a wider range of products.

The difference between the two? Open and closed development, as explored by Reuters in a new article that details the different approaches that Amazon and Apple have taken when developing their smart home offerings.

Apple maintains strict control over its HomeKit platform, with a heavy focus on security and simplicity. Manufacturers who want to create a HomeKit product are required to use special HomeKit chips priced up to $2, along with specific WiFi and Bluetooth chips.

elgato_eve_line1-800x635.png

Bluetooth-enabled HomeKit products from Elgato

HomeKit devices have to be made in factories certified by Apple, and then have to be sent to Cupertino for rigorous testing, a process that can take three to five months and must be conducted in secret.

Amazon's process for smart home products that work with Alexa is much simpler, taking a matter of days to complete. Smart home companies simply need to write code and send it for Amazon to review -- that's it. No special chips, no secure factories, and no specific oversight. Companies can send a product to a third-party lab for testing to earn a specific "Works with Alexa" label, a process that is completed "within 10 days."

amazon-echo-800x481.jpg

Amazon's Alexa-enabled Echo

As Reuters points out, while HomeKit doesn't work with as many products, it supports Bluetooth, is much more secure, and has a quicker setup process. Security, which Amazon can't promise, is a key differentiator between the two companies and a factor that could ultimately entice more consumers in the long run. A non-hackable smart home product like a door lock or a camera provides more peace of mind than quick compatibility.Reuters spoke with several HomeKit manufacturers, and all were satisfied with Apple's approach. "It makes for a better user experience," said Incipio senior engineer Ahmed Abdallah, speaking about HomeKit's ability to work offline. "They found issues with our product before we released it that we didn't find in our testing," said Nanoleaf CEO Gimmy Chu.

Amazon's simpler certification process has led to over 250 smart home products being certified to work with Alexa, while Apple has certified approximately 100 devices. Alexa-enabled devices have also been selling rapidly, with an estimated 10 million sales over the holiday season, while Apple's HomeKit sales are less clear.Apple is rumored to be ramping up its smart home efforts through a smart home hub that's similar to the Amazon Echo, with built-in Siri capabilities, a speaker, and a microphone, allowing it to be used for controlling smart home accessories.

For more detail on the lengths that Apple goes to in order to ensure that its HomeKit products are secure, make sure to read the full analysis over at Reuters.

Article Link: Apple and Amazon Adopt Opposing Strategies as Smart Home War Heats Up

Give me the security of Apple HomeKit any day. Their gear maybe more expensive etc, but for me personally, security is very important.

Reactions: nibfiledotcom

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
This is the complete list of Homekit devices. You barely have to scroll the page to see them all.
http://www.apple.com/shop/accessories/all-accessories/homekit
So that's not entirely a complete list? Insteon offers a HomeKit hub, which then allows a lot of their native devices to work with HomeKit :

Dimmer Switch
Dimmer Switch (High-Wattage)
Dimmer Switch (2-Wire)
On/Off Switch
Dimmer Keypad (6-Button)
Dimmer Keypad (8-Button)
On/Off Keypad (6-Button)
Dimmer Outlet
On/Off Outlet*
LED Bulb
LED Bulb for Recessed Lights
Ceiling Fan Controller
Dimmer Micro Module
On/Off Micro Module
Dimmer DIN Rail
On/Off DIN Rail
Dimmer In-Line Module
On/Off In-Line Module
0-10V Ballast Dimmer

It needs to be pointed out that depending on which system you are using (smartthings, etc), you can't just open doors and windows with your voice. That would be a major security issue if that's allowed.
I like how HomeKit will allow voice commands for secure things (like the garage door) if they come from an iOS device (or Apple Watch) that has a passcode, but is unlocked when the command is given.

Reactions: nibfiledotcom

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
If I didn't look at the URL in Safari, I could have sworn this article was posted on AI. This article reeks of typical Apple vs. the World articles that appear there and treat Apple as the defender of all that is good.

This problem is portraying this as an Apple versus Amazon. It is not. It is more of an Apple versus the IOT OEMs. Apple created HomeKit and told vendors that they had to comply or else they could not interface with HomeKit. For many vendors (such as Hue, Harmony, Belkin, etc.) there was no way to retrofit their the existing product to confirm to HomeKit. They would have to spend even more money on R&D to make new product to conform. For many company that are struggling to find their market, that was not possible.

Some company have tried to offer an upgrade, but it usually requires a hardware change due to a security chip. Chamberlin told their customers that, if you bought a WiFi connected Garage Door opener in the past 1-2 years, a software upgrade would be all that is needed to support HomeKit. At CES they admitted that was impossible and would require a hardware purchase of $40. Needless to say the backlash is harsh.

Even companies that are putting out HomeKit compatible products are finding it difficult to implement without affect compatibility with other product. it is nice to say a device is HomeKit compatible, but the public only cares about Echo compatibility because they are more popular. I would guess (with no hard facts) that people are buying the cheap WeMo switches because they already have an Echo. And guess where they are buying them from, Amazon. It is Amazon's best interested to get as certified as possible. Once IOT devices become more secure, Amazon will still be able to support them. Vendors aren't going to give up on Echo compatibility now.

ENduro

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Detroit, MI
I heard on NPR that Alexa may be in up to 10% of American homes, I find that hard to believe and am certain a lot of that are homes like mine with multiple units but that's a hell of a head start. Also - I really like my Amazon "computer" - it's going to take quite a bit for me to switch over, especially since it's tailored to my tastes and adopting HomeKit will require me updating my Hue hub, my IFTT rules and a bunch of other, off putting tasks. The having to buy a new hub for Hue so soon being the most obnoxious.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
I consider the Echo as a voice interface than a system like HomeKit. Alexa needs to interface with a hub in order to have automation; the Echo itself cannot do that.

madbard

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Competition is good for any industry. Unless the Echo and the platforms it integrates with have a "Note 7 moment" and there are reports that the systems were compromised, I think Apple is going to trail Amazon and others in this space for the foreseeable future.

There has already been the making Alexa order things inadvertently. [http://www.cw6sandiego.com/news-anc...round-san-diego-ordering-unwanted-dollhouses/ and others ] If there is an IoT attack using Alexa devices, that will be its Note 7 Moment.

Romey-Rome

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
How's security with Alexa? Can someone just walk up to your window & yell "Alexa, open the garage"?

I get annoyed that I have to unlock my phone while driving down my street for HomeKit/Siri to open my garage, but I also understand why.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I think NOT all smart home solutions require a great deal of security other than entry points (Door/Windows). Most of the Alexa users may be using SMART Home solutions such as energy consumption, powering on-off devices at home....measure water consumption and measure power consumption etc...Most of these applications may not require strict security requirements

Everything in the internet of things needs to be reasonably secure. I don't want anyone monkeying around with my lights, HVAC, and somewhere down the line, maybe my oven and fridge. I'd be more concerned about malicious mischief than anyone trying to break into the house. Burglars aren't that smart or they would not be burglars. Hackers on the other hand do what they do for laughs and bragging rights.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Everything in the internet of things needs to be reasonably secure. I don't want anyone monkeying around with my lights, HVAC, and somewhere down the line, maybe my oven and fridge. I'd be more concerned about malicious mischief than anyone trying to break into the house. Burglars aren't that smart or they would not be burglars. Hackers on the other hand do it for laughs and bragging rights.
I think what it comes down to is that people want this stuff to be like the movies where its perfect with no mistakes and compromise..

these are not real AIs, just a box that answers some questions with pre determined answers.

We are maybe 20 years away from that.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
We've seen how easily Android devices are hacked and compromised vs iOS devices. A big part of that difference is the openness of the code.

People may take a lackadaisical approach to security on their phones (as is evidenced by the millions of people walking around with Android devices), but the last thing I'm going to do is be lax on security with my friggin' smart home devices.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I consider the Echo as a voice interface than a system like HomeKit. Alexa needs to interface with a hub in order to have automation; the Echo itself cannot do that.
I think I understand your point, but you don't really need a hub for everything. There are many devices that can work directly with the Echo. For example, I have a Wemo light switch that the Echo works with directly and there is no hub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.