Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Just Sunday I had somebody say to me "I finally broke down and bought a Windows iPhone." When he showed it to me it was an Andriod phone. Nope, no confusion there.

As long as people are involved there will be confusion.

I had a guy say that he was having problems getting apps from the google store. He had a Win7 phone.

I am not sure if it's blind devotion or blissful ignorance that causes apple users to believe Apple was the first company to use the term "AppStore".

Educate us then please.

They're not? The term "internet" is not descriptive of, well, the internet? It's a noun just like shoe, app, and grocery. Explorer is also not a noun that inherently describes the activity of exploring? Do you think a window shop in Arizona can call itself Windows Explorers, and if not, why not?

Yes, a shop in Arizona that sells panes of glass may call itself Windows Explorers. They are in non competing markets.

EDIT: Palm had it first. So the above applies to Apple as well.

No, it doesn't, because Palm didn't have it first.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155597/palm_apps_store.html

http://www.webpagefx.com/blog/internet/history-of-app-stores-infographic/

Even if they would have, it's still irrelevant, is the Palm version of the App Store still around ?

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
- App Store - Store that sells Applications. Exactly what Apple has

If you look up the word "application", it has many different meanings.

----------

I am not sure if it's blind devotion or blissful ignorance that causes apple users to believe Apple was the first company to use the term "AppStore".

Can you show us a company that still exists and had an "App Store" before Apple did? If you can, I'd say that Apple should not be allowed to have an "App Store".

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

----------

Can you show us a company that still exists and had an "App Store" before Apple did? If you can, I'd say that Apple should not be allowed to have an "App Store".

Who is saying Apple shouldn't have an App Store? It's also irrelevant if someone else HAD or HAS an App Store now. Please do yourself (and us) a favor and read this thread. And even the other one which has been linked. Because you're not getting it. And it's been explained. Several times.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Most of the time (personally) when I say "it's on the app store" they automatically think the store on iOS if it's something on Android I usually say the google store.

You must know an unusual group of people, then. Android phones are around 75% of what people out there are buying, with iOS coming in south of 15%.

And if people are told that they can buy their app at any app store of their choice, somehow I doubt that many of them would really think of looking for their app at the iStore.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
Who is saying Apple shouldn't have an App Store? It's also irrelevant if someone else HAD or HAS an App Store now. Please do yourself (and us) a favor and read this thread. And even the other one which has been linked. Because you're not getting it. And it's been explained. Several times.

Read the guy's message that I was replying to. It's not about that.

P.S. No, I'm not going to read all your comments here, especially since it's hard to trust anything coming from a Google fan. Face it, you ALWAYS comment in favor of Google.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Read the guy's message that I was replying to. It's not about that.

P.S. No, I'm not going to read all your comments here, especially since it's hard to trust anything coming from a Google fan. Face it, you ALWAYS comment in favor of Google.

LOL. Ok. Sure I do. You know this isn't about Google though, right? It's about Amazon? I guess you're keeping with the theme of irrelevance?

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
You must know an unusual group of people, then. Android phones are around 75% of what people out there are buying, with iOS coming in south of 15%.

And if people are told that they can buy their app at any app store of their choice, somehow I doubt that many of them would really think of looking for their app at the iStore.

My group is unusual too, because here in California, "App Store" links to the iOS platform. In China and other parts of the world, it's probably a different story. You're applying worldwide data to a small area, and most areas are unusual compared to the average.

----------

LOL. Ok. Sure I do. You know this isn't about Google though, right? It's about Amazon? I guess you're keeping with the theme of irrelevance?

Apple and Microsoft are both enemies of Google, Amazon is a friend of Google, and I'm arguing for Apple and MS. If I sensed that you are an Amazon fan, I wouldn't mention Google, but that isn't the case.

----------

Not good. Even if I believed that every one of Apple's legal cases were in the right, which I definitely don't by the way, it's better to avoid suing so much when you have so much public attention. Even when Cisco sued Huawei, a Chinese company, for directly ripping off their code (yes, actually stealing data directly form Cisco), they got terrible publicity in China.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Just reread this and wanted to comment again...

I never said you had to re-read my comments. I said re-read the thread. I'm not even the one that has explained this over and over.

Also - you're free to stay ignorant. That's your choice. But to try and put the blame on the fact that you don't trust me because I differ in opinion than you is silly in my opinion.

This thread and the other have FACTS. Not opinions.

Even if I was a die-hard Google fan (which I am not) - a fact is a fact.

/done

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Its like saying.. "People will get confussed over the "Mac App Store" and "App Store" because they have the same word in their name"

No we won't, we know exactky what the differences are :)

Although, there may be some confussion to newbies, yu'll get used to it.

Same thing here. Maybe amazon should have added a character at the ent, or brginning, to be sure of the difference.

Just the lack of capitalisation and no space, WOULD actually confuse me, because they are spelt the same"

However, since its from Amazon's, i WOUD know where i am.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Its like saying.. "People will get confussed over the "Mac App Store" and "App Store" because they have the same word in their name"

No we won't, we know exactky what the differences are :)

Although, there may be some confussion to newbies, yu'll get used to it.

Same thing here.

THAT'S why none of the apps I've downloaded from the App Store work on my iPhone or iPad. Man - I was so confuzzled. Thanks for pointing that out. This should be a sticky!

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
There's hardly any chance Amazon came up with the name "App Store" by themselves. There are plenty of things they could have called it. But I don't see how any user could be CONFUSED between the two, considering that each only works on its respective platform. The only confusion that could arise is if someone says to download something "from the App Store", and you don't know which App Store he is talking about.

Asia8

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
"Microsoft filed an objection, also arguing that the term was generic."

Microsoft trademarks a product called "Windows" and another called "Office". Either both companies are right to own these kinds of names, or both are wrong.

People seem to misunderstand the use of generic term here...

Windows, Word, etc may be generic terms, but not in the IT sector. Windows OS does not affect others in the original glass pane window industry.

App Store is generic, but is also generic in the industry it is competing with. Others in the IT industry do write and sell apps, applications.

Windows Store
- A store that sells windows (glass panes)
- A store that sells software for the Windows OS
= Not competing

App Store
- A store that sells apps
- A store that sells apps for Apple OS'
= Competing

Even 23 years ago derivations of the word app were being being made.
PC magazine coined the term "Applet" as being a small app that runs in a bigger program (in this case java applets as plugins for websites) all the way back in 1990.

I as a software developer have used the term app for many many years, before I even considered Apple to be anything with a future.

In circles I walk in we usually use the term app for a program that is relatively small. A program we'd write in a few hours or a day, as opposed to a full blown software package.

I've never heard of this comparison of PC's using "programs" and Macs using "Applications". Many of us use the term as relating to scale. Phone apps being relatively small in my view therefore are logically apps.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I have a solution.

Though it might be overly descriptive of Apple's iOs certified applications.

You know, CrAppStore.:D

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
There's no question that Amazon can use the generic term "AppStore". The real question is: Why did they choose to use unoriginal terminology that was already in use by Apple. It seems to me they would have wanted to use something more original. The list is long and easy to come up with.
1. AppStop
2. AppPLace
3. AppShop
4. AppCorner
5. AppNook
6. AppStuff
7. AppThis
I could go on and on, but the point is why not come up with something original instead of the easy and obvious?

4kk2kk

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Apple has every right to pursue this action.

Everyone and their mama knows that Apple coined the AppStore period.

That is their creation, and it does not even come close to the example of grocery store like someone previously mentioned.

Nobody even knew what mobile apps were before apple came up with this term and started with the app store.

I am neither an apple person or windows person. Love both period, I am universal in all usage of software and hardware.

But the AppStore is apples and it does not matter who is trying to say what.
At the end of the day it is just all semantics.

Peace

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Hey look we're going to rehash the other thread with everyone saying the same thing, like minds will magically be changed this time. :rolleyes:

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
But even I can clearly see that App store is as generic as Shoe Store or Bike shop or Natural food Store.

No, when Apple introduced the app store it wasn't generic. It was Apple's actions and the following by other companies that made it generic.

Hypothetical question:
If all car manufacturers would now start producing Segway like transporters, would you -in 10 years time when everyone would have one- also argue that the term Segway is generic? Would you argue that the original Segway business does not have a claim to it?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Why are we arguing over this when we could be launching thermonuclear war against the people who thought it would be a good idea to shorten "appetizer" to "app?" That's worth a firing squad.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Kleenex is a household name, but Procter and Gamble still has to call their product "Puffs." Why does amazon get the exception?

Because they invented the name Kleenex.

----------

"Thermos" was clearly original and a perfectly valid trademark, but with use the term became a generic word to describe *any* vacuum flask, including those not necessarily maufactured by Thermos GmbH. And the trademark was lost.

^^ This. See "Genericized Trademark".

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Navlet's Nursery is also descriptive - it's a nursery owned by Navlet. But the term "Navlet's Nursery" can absolutely be trademarked. Being descriptive is not, in itself, a disqualifying factor.

No, being descriptive is not in itself a disqualifying factor, the term has to be both descriptive AND generic. "Navlet's Nursery" is not generic since it includes the company name (which most likely is already trademarked)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Are you saying that Apple's use of the diminutive "App" in App Store uses one of those other meanings of Application rather than the one related to computing ?

Because that reply made absolutely 0 sense.

----------

Everyone and their mama knows that Apple coined the AppStore period.

Except for SAGE Networks who filed for the same trademark in 1998 and abandonned it 6 months after it was published for opposition in November 2000.

Except for Palm who used it on their devices as shown time and again here.

So Apple didn't coin it.

That is their creation, and it does not even come close to the example of grocery store like someone previously mentioned.

Please explain how "App Store" a store that sells apps, is not close to "Grocery Store", a store that sells groceries.

Both are descriptive of the kind of store they are.

----------

See "Genericized Trademark".

Which everyone keeps bringing up, but is exactly the opposite situation as "App Store" is facing.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Anybody else find it funny that Amazon is using the "generic" argument when it defended it's "one click shopping" patent so aggressively?

I understand each issue needs to be separate... but seeing that Apple still pays Amazon for the use of the most ridiculous of ridiculous patents... I suggest the same arrangement here. Amazon pays Apple for every purchase through the "appstore."

The claims are ridiculously broad on both. Here is the Amazon patent. The laws are independent of trademark law, but it is quite silly and showcases the ridiculousness that can show up in software patents. It reveals very little in terms of details about how this is accomplished and focuses heavily on conceptual elements in its text. I read most of it, including the entirety of the claims. Google also turned up an article suggesting it was rejected in Europe.

I don't have a problem with patents and trademarks in general, but both of these appear extremely silly. Your assessment of how this should go is even sillier, as they aren't governed by the same laws. Ideally both of these abominations will be declared invalid for different reasons.

I stand corrected.

I do still believe that Apple popularized the term "App" - the shortened version of the word. And, the trademark for "App Store" is something that Apple should be entitled to the trademark for.

It was generic before that. The difference is that you hadn't personally heard of it until Apple started using it, which is understandable. If you were going to apply for a trademark, there would be research involved.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Funnily enough every Apple customer I know "buys their apps from iTunes"

I can't recall hearing anyone use the term "app store" in conversation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.