Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DGaio

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
And what about the rest of the world? Other countries have this already included in their pricing, and we can't use a function we should be able to use. Just block the app from the US app store until the issue with ATT is resolved and be done with it.

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Why not just let people tether as it is now up to the 5 gig bandwidth limit? Then have plans to get extra bandwidth, like an extra 5 gigs for 10 bucks or something.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
At least they could allow Netshare on foreign App Stores (Italian, French, ecc.)....

The link to Netshare is still on Nullriver's website. But clicking on it brings up iTunes with the message, "The item you've requested is not currently available in the US store." I thought the app was still available overseas. Has it been removed from all iTunes stores worldwide?

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
$30 EXTRA, PER MONTH, to do what I can already as part of my cheaper AT&T data plan I have for my Trinity!??!! I sometimes use tethering when traveling, when there is no wifi. It's convenient, but I can't see why I should pay anything extra for it - I am basically only using a larger screen.

The more I find out about the new 3G iPhone, the more I am inclined to just get a new HTC phone to replace my Trinity, and stick with the first gen iPhone as a regular phone.

They have GPS, but no navigation applications (why, is there really a turn-by-turn problem with the chip??!)
Still no cut & paste?! How long does it take to do something so basic?
Still no landscape keyboard for texting?! Again, a no brainer.

There are so many things I take for granted on my Trinity, like Skype, radio stations (I listen to BBC in my car through it), TV (rarely), etc.. I love the overall look and feel of the iPhone, but if HTC came up with a 16GB phone with the screen of the iPhone, it would be a better bet, IMO.

Anyway, I am still likely to upgrade to a 3G, but $30 for tethering is just for idiots. I'd feel like I have to bend over, every time I grab my iPhone.:eek:

coryjb

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I really don't mind the extra $30 per month because they prorate the charge. So when I was in the Rockies snowboarding last year and needed to use the Internet, I used to phone up VZW and have them add tethering to my account for $60 per month ($2 per day) and cancel it when I came back from vacation. AT&T would be $1 extra per day. I wouldn't leave the tethering feature on permanently, but rather add and remove it as needed.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
It would be great, as someone pointed out , to use the docking cable instead of wifi as this thing gets really hot using Netshare.

Its not designed for this and i'm afraid I'm going to shorten it's life span if I use it to often.

I wonder if this is possible.

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
It would be great, as someone pointed out , to use the docking cable instead of wifi as this thing gets really hot using Netshare.

Its not designed for this and i'm afraid I'm going to shorten it's life span if I use it to often.

I wonder if this is possible.

It could be done by Apple,but I very much doubt Apple will ever do it. It's in their own interests to be at the leading edge of wifi,rather than push alternatives.If you could just plug in and surf many people would opt for that instead of wifi,which does not fundamentally serve their interests as they want your phone to give Internet access to lots of seperate gadgets.

Patrik_L

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2004
Gothenburg, Sweden
The link to Netshare is still on Nullriver's website. But clicking on it brings up iTunes with the message, "The item you've requested is not currently available in the US store." I thought the app was still available overseas. Has it been removed from all iTunes stores worldwide?

Yes, it's removed worldwide, also here in Sweden where the carrier is allowing it. Which, of course, sucks.

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
This forum never ceases to amaze me...finally the iPhone may offer tethering yet this topic has more negatives than positives...amazing. What would satisfy you? FREE tethering? Everything costs money...

Ridiculous things like touch screen Mac's get almost all positives but this gets more negs?? :confused:

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
This forum never ceases to amaze me...finally the iPhone may offer tethering yet this topic has more negatives than positives...amazing. What would satisfy you? FREE tethering? Everything costs money...

Ridiculous things like touch screen Mac's get almost all positives but this gets more negs?? :confused:

Aren't we paying for UNLIMITED data from AT&T!!!?? Why should we pay more to display the same data on a bigger screen? Its like paying $30 a month to hook your laptop up to your big screen tv. ~ITS THE SAME FREAKING INTERNET!!!~ Everything is the same... the data, the speed, the cellular connection. People are stupid to pay $30 dollars for something they already have! That's daylight robbery imho.

lucasmonger

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Illinois
What does this do to battery life?

I can understand doing USB tethering to keep power going to the iPhone, but I've got to wonder what Bluetooth tethering is going to do to clobber battery life. Especially if you're trying to download the Apple iPhone SDK to your laptop thru your phone.

I can't wait for it to become available, but again, I'm not sure I want to pay even more given I'm already paying a lot per month for 2 iPhones on a shared family plan (soon to be 4 iPhones when my kids reach the end of their contract). Although tethering would be nice, the iPhone has changed my habits from carrying my laptop everywhere to living without my laptop and doing 80-90% of my laptop needs on the iPhone (email, web). The last 10-20% of actually editing documents that still needs a laptop or desktop can be done when I'm at home or work with files on a USB key or through a corporate VPN.

We're probably less than a year away from the next big iPhone update. In addition to tethering are there any thoughts on what's in store in terms of hardware and software for iPhone 2009? Here's some:

http://web.me.com/doublel/Pure_Spec...hat_can_they_possibly_add_to_iPhone_2009.html

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Let's think about the logic: If AT&T sells a tethering plan for $30/month, but iPhone users can't use it, that means less revenue for them.

I have my SonyEricsson W580i phone from AT&T, flashed with the "official" SonyEricsson firmware which removes the limitations AT&T put on the phone, and I can use it to tether to my MacBook Pro over Bluetooth. I don't abuse it -- I only use it in emergencies -- but I've never been popped for tethering either.

Speaking with a former AT&T call center person, AT&T (Cingular) won't pop you for tethering unless you abuse the privilege. Don't use more data than would be expected if you were using the phone's browser.

Given the fact that I download MP3s using my phone occasionally and have push IMAP e-mail on all the time, there seems to be a lot of leeway when it comes to download bandwidth use.

-Aaron-

jackfrost123

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN TO ME THE RATIONALE OF WHY THIS GETS 70-80 POSITIVE NEGATIVE VOTES AND THE INANE SOLVER "NEWS" GETS 60-30 POS NEG?

I really realy don't get it? what exactly do people rate, the fact that the iphone not having tethering as negative? They rate the solver add on as a good event?

PEOPLE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE RATING AN ARTICLES WORTH, VALIDITY, RELEVANCE OR NOT, NOT IF YOU AGREE OR LIKE OR DISLIKE OR WHATEVER OTHER REASON WITH THE STORY....JESUS...LITERALY THIS POS NEG RATING SOMETIMES DRIVE ME NUTS TRYING TO FIGURE THEM OUT....

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
You know what is the problem?? The problem is that because of AT&T influence on Apple decisions, we are suffering WORLDWIDE!! (I'm in Italy). It's because of AT&T that we can't have NETSHARE! (or similar software). And that's crazy, because OUR carriers would allow us to use tethering, there's no distinction between data plans for phones and for tethering! The only way is to jailbreak the iphone, but I'm not gonna void my warranty so soon!

At least they could allow Netshare on foreign App Stores (Italian, French, ecc.)....

Jailbreaking would only void the warranty if Apple knew about it, and I am not so sure it would even at that point. It is SIMPLE to re-install the original software/firmware to a point that NO ONE (except you) would ever know it was jailbroken.

If you don't want to jailbreak, that is FINE-but do not use fear of void warranty as a reason :)

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
AT&T Pricing

One more thing regarding pricing (and we of course the $30/month is SPECULATION at this point...)

AT&T is already sticking it to us regarding SMS-I am on a family plan, and my ONLY options are the OUTRAGEOUS 20 cent per message a-la-carte or ANOTHER $30 for unlimited messages. I do NOT need more than maybe 100 per month, but that is not a choice-I can't buy a pool of message for the plan-it has to be line specific which in itself is completely unreasonable.

So... I had SMS turned off-Up ATT's butt for all I care-SMS should be FREE-it uses FAR LESS bandwidth than even a phone call-gimme a break, 155 friggen text characters... UGHH-this is nothing but a rip-off in the USA-I understand it is totally different overseas-Why in the HELL should I have to pay to RECEIVE a text message that I have no WAY of rejecting (like a phone call which CAN be ignored or unanswered) anyway?!?

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
just buy a datacard, move the SIM from the iPhone to the data card and you're surfing at 3G speeds, even with the "old" iPhone data plan (it's the same thing).

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008

I can say for sure that it has been removed from Italian App Store.
Enigmafan420 said:
Jailbreaking would only void the warranty if Apple knew about it, and I am not so sure it would even at that point. It is SIMPLE to re-install the original software/firmware to a point that NO ONE (except you) would ever know it was jailbroken.

If you don't want to jailbreak, that is FINE-but do not use fear of void warranty as a reason

Are you sure? Any experience? (i.e. someone who did JB -----> Restore -----> Apple -------> NO PROBLEM ?). What if they have some way to notice it after all? I hope you're right.....
As for me, the fact is also that I don't need those functions that bad.....

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
This 3G is outdated and Verizon will have 4G by end of 2009 or early 2010 but they also charge for tethering and I believe its 30 dollars a month also.

Verizon charges $60/month to add tethering to a cell phone plan. So AT&T's $30/month would be a significantly better deal. It's not worth it though for people who only want tethering as an occasional backup connectivity method. You'd have to need it regularly for it to be worth it.

I had my verizon phone hacked so I could tether it over bluetooth without paying for the tethering service. I used it with my laptop and with my Palm T5. With my iPhone though I have to admit that the browser is so much better than my Palm's that I don't want to tether as often anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.