Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and AT&T have been making preparations for the launch of iPhone firmware 3.0. Here is a compilation of the changes and preparations that have been noted:

- The new MobileMe Find My iPhone feature has been live this past week.
- Push Notification support is beginning to appear in the App Store. Tap Tap Revenge [App Store] specifically has been updated to provide push notifications.
- The iPhone 3G S Firmware 3.0 has already appeared on Apple's servers. This firmware is specifically for the new iPhone 3G S (iPhone2,1) so is not recommended to be installed on older iPhones.
- AT&T has posted a FAQ (PDF) about the iPhone 3G S and comments on MMS and tethering:
Later this summer, as part of the 3.0 software, AT&T will make multimedia messaging (MMS) available at no extra cost to customers with a text messaging bundle. And, in the future, AT&T will offer tethering capability for iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G.
- The iPhone 3.0 re-download charging message has been removed and was a bug according to AppAdvice. Re-downloading apps in 3.0 should be the same as the current firmware ( which means free).
- A couple of YouTube videos have appeared walking through the features of the new iPhone 3.0 operating system. Video 1, Video 2.

The iPhone 3.0 firmware is officially launching on June 17th.

Article Link: Apple and AT&T Preparing for iPhone 3.0 Launch

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I received a text message from O2 a few days ago stating that iPhone 3.0 would be available on the 17th. I guess that's their way of preparing for the launch!

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Thank -inset/don't insert your "higher power" here- that they are not charging extra for MMS.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
do you think we will see the firmware posted before the 17th via apples servers like they have for the 3GS?

would be nice to get 3.0 on my 3G today :D

edit - found it on PB

Ori

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Damn it! for some reason I had June 15th for 3.0 and June 17th for 3GS.
Had my Macbook in office ready for upgrade too! Oh well 2 more days to go!

darkpaw

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
A little caveat on the Find My iPhone feature...

A page in MobileMe's help says: "After you delete all the information on your device, you won’t able to use Find My iPhone to locate your device on a map or send it a message."

That's common sense really, as you have to enable something on the phone to be able to find it. However, it's a warning that once you remote wipe your iPhone is essentially gone. Be very careful before you wipe it. Be sure you can't get it back.

lostinmysphere

macrumors member
May 2, 2008
A page in MobileMe's help says: "After you delete all the information on your device, you won’t able to use Find My iPhone to locate your device on a map or send it a message."

That's common sense really, as you have to enable something on the phone to be able to find it. However, it's a warning that once you remote wipe your iPhone is essentially gone. Be very careful before you wipe it. Be sure you can't get it back.

Not quite right... You can restore the iPhone, if you find it again, from the last backup you did.

If you eventually find your iPhone, you can restore your email, contacts and calendars by enabling your MobileMe account on your iPhone. Or connect your iPhone to your computer and use iTunes to restore the data from your most recent iPhone backup.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
3.0 has been running smoothly on my 3G. Search is a great app launcher, cut-copy-paste is well implemented and very slick, and landscape keyboard in Mail & MMS makes typing much easier and speedier. Voice recorder records high quality sound, which is easy to trim, conveniently within the app, and the enhanced stock app offers great tools for comparing events. The extra app panel (page) accomodating 16 additional apps is also a welcome feature.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA

- The iPhone 3G S Firmware 3.0 has already appeared on Apple's servers. This firmware is specifically for the new iPhone 3G S (iPhone2,1) so is not recommended to be installed on older iPhones.
- Later this summer, as part of the 3.0 software, AT&T will make multimedia messaging (MMS) available at no extra cost to customers with a text messaging bundle. And, in the future, AT&T will offer tethering capability for iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G.

So wait, the 3G-S and 3G are not going to be using the same firmware? :confused: So, for those of us with an iPhone3G, we cannot download OS 3.0 ? :confused:

And AT&T has posted that tethering will be available "later this summer" ?

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Um, of course not. How else would the 3G-S have software support for 7.2 HDSPA, video recording, and the magnetometer while the 3G does not?

The original iPhone and the iPhone 3G both use OS 2.x right now, and only the 3G has GPS. If you don't have a faster "modem" on your phone, then that feature simply cannot work. But the OS is the same. Also, the OS recognizes which device you have and adapts the OS settings to your device - the OS would is the same on all phones.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
Woohoo! :D

56253IMG_0174.png
58823IMG_0175.png
40352IMG_0176.png

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
This might sound dumb. I'm not on contract so I know Push Notifications won't work on-the-go, but what about when I'm on Wi-Fi at home?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
With John Cormack saying that a 2 times speedup for games is possible on older PowerVR MBX based iPhones and iPod Touches if Apple focused on optimizing the OpenGL stack, has anyone looked at whether iPhone 3.0 brings any OpenGL improvements? It'd be great if someone could compared the fps of current games on a non-iPhone 3G S on iPhone OS 2.2 and iPhone OS 3.0 to see if there is any difference. I don't suppose there is an easy way to measure fps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.