Apple and ATT really messed up this launch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by youngsunnz, Jun 19, 2010.

1. youngsunnz macrumors regular

Apple and ATT have really messed up this release with the iPhone 4. First no statement about the iPhone 4 and now there canceling peoples contracts giving stupid excuses. How didnt the have time to ramp up the production. If im right wasnt gizmodos prototype which was basically a finished product come out about 3 months ago? Why not have enough for launch day? Wow apple can atleast explain about the white iPhone.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Did we need another thread?

Do you really think that Apple is not trying to sell as many as they can?

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

nice. ATT and Apple already screwed up a launch that's roughly five days away . That's pretty epic :D

4. Gigzz macrumors regular

If you're insinuating they haven't, you're misguided. They've botched this thing in just about every way imaginable.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

To console themselves I imagine they're spooning right now on a pile of 600,000 invoices.

6. diabolic macrumors 68000

And yet, they will still sell more iPhones than ever.

7. Blazing angel macrumors regular

actually, upon tear down, they discovered the that prototype has 256 mb or ram, while the release model has 512. So it wasn't the same.

8. army91c macrumors 6502a

I love how people are getting pissed.... 600k on PRE ORDER...... I don't think people understand how many that is. Of course then you have in store stock you have to provide. That's a lot of freakin phones.

Doesn't bother me any way.... I got both of mine coming ;)

9. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Yeah, they screwed it up bad.

600,000 phones x $200 (minimum) = $120 million dollars in a single day.

That's so terrible. Why can't they just get their crap together?

:D

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I know! How dare they not spend millions of more dollars on more servers so they wouldn't have gone down just for that one day!? And can you believe that they wouldn't have prepared to sell ten times as many preorders as they did last year? You would have though they overshot 60,000 with 600,000!!

Can you believe this!? They really messed up this launch.

*end sarcasm*

11. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

They haven't screwed up anything yet. You can't say "they screwed up the release" until after it happens.

12. Gigzz macrumors regular

I'm not a fanboy. That doesn't make me feel better.

13. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

actually it works out more like this
    even for phones bought directly from apple, ATT pays them full price
    so lets say ATT is buying them from Apple for $599/phone (they likely pay less than full price because of the deal, but that is only accounting for 16gb, so its a fair estimate I'd assume)

for 600,000 phones, thats $359,400,000 in REVENUE for Apple

now, it cost Apple about $180 per 3GS to manufacture. Throw in other charges they may have to pay (shipping, paying Foxconn, etc) and to compensate for the possibility that this phone is more expensive to make. So lets assume about $200 per phone Apple spends

for 600,000 phones, they spend $120,000,000

Now, given these (I believe) fairly conservative estimates, your looking at Apple making about $239,400,000 in PROFIT in a day. That is incredible. That is far from a failure.

Steve is probably very happy

14. IAmMeIAm macrumors newbie

So, wait, being like, really really really busy is an actual valid excuse for huge breaches of customer privacy? The ways AT&T's website failed on Tuesday went far beyond what should be acceptable for a company that retains that much private customer data. Logging in to my online account should never present me with the name, address, phone number, etc of some random person halfway across the country.

AT&T's site didn't just choke under volume, it blew a gasket. People wound up with multiple orders, half of which they couldn't know about. The severity of the data exposure for accounts combined with their basic response being "we have yet to see that happened!" when confronted with numerous reports? Not acceptable, no matter how overwhelmed they were. The latest round of confusing cancellations--AT&T bouncing accounts back to Apple or not bouncing them or who knows--isn't looking good, either.

But for some reason, it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling to know my wireless carrier's reaction to being overly busy is playing mix-and-match with logins and account data, and the 'punish the customer' attitude that's come through with the cancellations (if you're cancelling orders as secret duplicates, for the love of god, mass e-mail the people you're cancelling with this heads-up, don't just serve random cancel notices and call it good) does make them look bad.

So really all it does mean is, should the Verizon iPhone materialize, there's a good reason to keep a close eye on how Verizon handles the added traffic.

15. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

I'm getting mine....they didnt mess up at all ;)

16. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Sorry, I really was referring to Apple. I won't defend AT&T for any reason. I should have specified that. ;)

17. IAmMeIAm macrumors newbie

Oh, okay, sorry for theuh... ... forceful response, then. Apple handled the traffic relatively well from what I remember; they'd fixed their site early in the day (I want to say the dead shopping carts were fixed by like 8AM Eastern), which is the point at which AT&T started failing and just wouldn't stop. They did a decent job with the launch, although I'm a little displeased with this round of Saturday-night-cancellations.

But, yeah, AT&T is evil.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

More Apple, than AT&T.

White iPhones double the total available, doubles the number of happy customers.

19. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

well we are all part of the screw up for buying at the same time :p

20. CarloVonSexron macrumors member

Production lines don't work that way.