Apple and BBC Co-Producing Comedy Series Starring Imelda Staunton From Harry Potter

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:11 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is teaming up with the BBC to co-produce an eight-part comedy-drama series with a working title of "Alabama," according to a report from British comedy website Chortle highlighted by Engadget.

[​IMG]
    Imelda Staunton

Written by former stand-up Andy Wolton, the show will reportedly star Imelda Staunton, who is best known for her performance in the British comedy television series "Up the Garden Path" and for playing Dolores Umbridge in the Harry Potter movies "Order of the Phoenix" and part one of "Deathly Hallows."

The series is reportedly in production and is slated to air worldwide next year on Apple's upcoming streaming video service, Apple TV+. Apple and BBC declined to comment on the series, and plot details have yet to be revealed.

Apple TV+ will feature dozens of original TV shows and movies with stars such as Steve Carell, Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Oprah Winfrey. The service is set to launch in over 100 countries in the fall within the Apple TV app on the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, and Mac.

Article Link: Apple and BBC Co-Producing Comedy Series Starring Imelda Staunton From Harry Potter

2. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

She played Umbridge so well I hated that woman.

I wish her the best of luck!

3. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

4. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

She was very good in the Harry Potter movies. She played the part really well.

5. TomaxXamot macrumors regular

TomaxXamot

Derp.

Anyway, she’s a lovely actress. Hated her in Potter, loved her in Pride. I’ll check this one out for sure.

6. truthertech, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:26 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 7:27 PM

truthertech macrumors 68000

No, it's not a binary choice for Apple, far from it. Services are an important part of their incredible ecosystem, but they are also accelerating their hardware and software development which are the largest part of the over $1BILLION a month they are putting into Research and Development.

7. Mike MA macrumors 68010

Mike MA

I would be happier if my Dollars purchasing iPhones and Macs would be reinvested just therefore - and not paying the salaries of some Hollywood celebrities. But, oh well...

8. Sharkoneau macrumors 6502a

Sharkoneau

9. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

"This is a lie" - Dolores Umbridge

10. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

No, it's about a huge recurring revenue service play by the company about which this blog is written.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:55 AM ---
    Would that somehow make you need to buy a laptop from them more frequently? Exactly what would be gained by accelerating their hardware and software releases" aside from diluting the offerings? People will not suddenly be excited if there are wild major changes to the platform coming out every 6 months, and it would be a nightmare for any enterprise.

11. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Wonder how long until someone misconstrues this as a Harry Potter spinoff…
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:57 AM ---
    What programmes (shows) are you basing that statement on? I'm interested, because this doesn't sound like an accurate assessment of British TV.

12. owen.meredith macrumors member

owen.meredith

Is that why major US networks have always tended to do copies of British shows, with HBO practically piggybacking off everything the BBC does now? Hm?

13. Dirtfarmer, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:10 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 10:16 AM

Dirtfarmer macrumors regular

Former World's Greatest Product Company Reinvents Itself As High Budget YouTube Channel

#FIRETHEACCOUNTANT

14. Blackwell macrumors member

Blackwell

I look forward to interviews, I get all my social and political information from celebs.

15. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Still waiting for shows that appeal to me as in Amazon's "Man in the High Castle", Goliath, Jack Ryan, Sneaky Pete, Hanna, etc., etc., etc.

16. kennyt72 macrumors member

I assume this will be shown here in the UK on the BBC as they're using our license fee money to part pay for this production.

17. lunarworks macrumors 68000

18. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

I'm no expert on the matter but this may not be the case. BBC Studios is the commercial arm of the BBC and don't believe it's funded by license fee revenue. However I understand any profits are reinvested back into the BBC alongside the license fee income. BBC Studios as a company is relatively new but is already creating content for the likes of ITV, Channel 4 etc

19. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

20. Ar40 macrumors newbie

British TV isn't great. It's actually AMAZING.

I find myself routinely enjoying British whodunnits and dramas, and find them superior to most US TV (often on par with HBO).

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I like Imelda Staunton. She was also in Disney's Maleficent and did voice work in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, Nick Park's Chicken Run, and most recently the Paddington movies.

22. jjhny macrumors regular

jjhny

The comment about Apple being an expensive YouTube channel is somewhat accurate. I like Amazon Prime. Netflix is getting worse, plus they are getting rid of the libraries of movies they used to have and focusing on mostly garbage (some good shows, but not enough).

There is a content war going on. Apple - if they were smart - would buy out a studio and their library, but that was if they were smart.

23. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

So far I have only seen a few episodes of The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher via Amazon Prime. Have you seen that series? I tend to watch tv and movies only on long car rides so I don’t have an extensive knowledge of what’s out there. I am looking for something similar to that show in terms of the level of focus on solving the mysteries with minimal depiction of violence and sex and nudity, meaning not much shown on screen, at least. I prefer the mystery and cerebral aspect of the crime solving vs actually seeing the crimes being committed and/or watching people act out their sex lives.

What are some of your favorite shows?

Oh and have you ever seen a British drama where people in town were focused on who stole some bees? I was in the hospital when I caught one episode and never got the name of the show or any of the actors in it and it’s driving me nuts trying to find it again.

24. kennyt72 macrumors member

oh well

25. FightTheFuture macrumors 65816

FightTheFuture

[​IMG]
    boom.

I'm pretty sure Jeff Williams isn't on the email chains for TV programming.