Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2021

Wait, why does the paid subscription app required to output the spatial video require 2x the RAM for MacOS as it does for Windows? I thought Apple said the opposite, that 8 GB of memory on a Mac is just as good as 16 GB on a PC. 🤪

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Neat. Stereoscopic lenses have been around since the dawn of photography, when they thought there'd be room in the market for 3d images, so it's interesting to see Apple Vision give the concept a future. I'd love to see a converter that'd process existing stereo images into the format, so we can finally give 3d images dating back to the 1800s a path forward. ...for the few thousand people who bought an Apple Viz i guess, but, assuming they come down to earth in the future...

Reactions: kc9hzn

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Ball park on this lens?

In all likely hood, it won't be released. It's just a development announcement.

Also, it's "designed to capture spatial video for the Vision Pro headset." The Vision Pro effectively has 0% of the VR headset market when rounded to a whole number, and it's not available in every country. Canon might design the lens on paper, but they won't invest money into producing something that will only sell hundreds of units globally. Apple might pay for units to be produced, just as a marketing gimmick to make the VP seem like it's a real product.

Richard700

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2022
Nobody is making VisionOS content, so they’re getting desperate. But what I don’t get is how this and the iPhone makes video that has enough spatial separation to create 3D? Traditionally 3D camera rigs have to be set apart about the average distance between human eyes, which is a few inches, not less than an inch.
With the iPhone I assume they were doing some computational analysis of the images to generate the 3D image pairs. (after all they were using two different focal length lenses using two of it's three cameras (wide and ultra-wide - I believe) to get a stereo pair). It's likely that with the Canon lens that there is also some post processing of the images involved.
Not an ideal way to get good quality realistic 3D images.
BTW - I was not really pleased with the quality of the 3D on their Parquor immersive video - the close-ups had a really un-natural look to them.

Reactions: VulchR and macduke

Richard700

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2022
Each lens records into a separate half of the sensor.

You do end up losing half the resolution of each image, so an 8k sensor becomes 4k at most. But spatial videos need a LOT of resolution to cover the full image circle, which is why a lot of the spatial videos on Vision Pro look blurry, as they were recorded with half the resoltion of the camera sensor.

Also the problem with this particular lens is that it looks like the lens separation isn't the width of the human eye. It appears to only be a centimeter apart, which gives it less depth effect for anything besides macro photos. Canon already has a similar lens with better separation: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf5-2mm-f2-8-l-dual-fisheye?color=Black&type=New

Also Canon just announced a similar lens for APS-C sensors at 3.9mm focal length: https://www.dpreview.com/news/9404654349/canon-announces-compact-dual-fisheye-lens

Hoping other vendors produce these lenses for their system as well. Also, we need 16k or dual 8k sensors.
The lack of resolution on the immersive videos - wether because of the capture or display - was really a let down for me.
I'm assuming the capture end, because the computer generated stuff looks much better.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Ball park on this lens?

They released another VR lens with a price of around $1100, so… it wont be cheap but it wont be like the older 5.2 version which is around $2000 on sale.

Judging by the lens in the picture, it’s less glass than the 3.9, which often translates into lower cost, but have to assume this is going to be a low volume line, so higher price. Maybe it will all come out in the wash to be around the $1100?

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I don’t understand how this is possible with a single sensor, but that’s extremely cool.

This reviews a similar lens from canon that explains a number of technical details…

but essentially as others have said its a split sensor approach.

Reactions: diandi

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
And on a related note… AVP 2.0 beta includes the computational spatial photo tech discussed in the keynote today, and i was pleasantly surprised at how good it was at converting my existing 2D collection of pics, especially portraits. This really could be a game changer, both hardware and software.

The_Cynic

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2022
That's right. You take some pictures so the AI companies can scrape your date.

Don't worry, they will claim it's to stop CSAM or some other **** that puts you in an awkward position so if you complain you look like a nonce.

Never mind the fact that it's THEM who are. Taking everyone's pictures without permission. Taking everyones knowledge.

You'd be a fool to trust any of these Big American companies at this point.

Shower of **** the lot of them

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Didn’t think cameras so close would give a good 3D recording. :rolleyes:
It depends on the camera to subject distance. It would be OK for up to maybe 8 to 10 feet. (we don't know the exact specs yet)

But with such a short focal length the camera to subject distance will be quite short. This lens would be good for a kind of "in your face style" videography. So it might be a good match for VR goggles.

Reactions: JosephAW and kc9hzn

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
So you have a fear of dual-lens cameras? How it is different from the same Canon camera but with a conventional lens?
Well, the guy certainly lives up to his username. There’s nothing AI about this lens, of course, but someone upthread did mention VisionOS 2 adding a feature to add depth to pictures via AI.

Of course, that kind of AI is probably going to be done on device, but that user probably doesn’t care about that one bit. I’m not particularly AI bullish, but I’m not an AI bear either (I just think it’s overhyped for what it is, and part of me wonders if we’re not due for another AI winter). But the response to AI has really given me insight into the mentality of the Victorian Luddites. Remember, the Luddites were opposed to industrial weaving. But industrial weaving gave better jobs to many people who would have been stuck in sustenance agriculture otherwise and led to so many other jobs developing, and Ludd’s followers just couldn’t see how it would play out, so they responded with fear (and aggression).

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008

Wait, why does the paid subscription app required to output the spatial video require 2x the RAM for MacOS as it does for Windows? I thought Apple said the opposite, that 8 GB of memory on a Mac is just as good as 16 GB on a PC. 🤪
It doesn’t. They say it will work as minimum with 8GB Ram on both and have recommended as well. The recommendations are based on the models and general capability - as recommendations

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Here is the 1930s version of the Canon lens. It does the same thing the new Canon lens does but uses film. It was unaffordable for most normal people. But, really the idea is about the same. It records two images in one frame.

Notice that this being a Leica, is also a "mirrorless' camera.

leica-iii-stereoly.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.