Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
I assume we'll see a press release from Apple about it tomorrow. Reading the description on that page isn't really helping, but I don't think this is necessarily a subscription service.

smurfjammer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
I found this in the spanish itunes store terms but it's not in the UK, USA or NZ Terms:

iTUNES PASS

iTunes Pass gives buyers a variety of selected content (which can include songs, albums, music videos and editorial content) for sale by a particular artist, group or group of artists during a predetermined fixed period (the "Period Pass "). The full cost of the Pass iTunes is charged at the time of purchase. The purchase price of iTunes Pass not exceed fair market value of individual items offered as part of iTunes Pass. Do not offer refunds, returns or refunds. The content available at the time (if any) will be downloaded after the purchase from the iTunes Pass. The future of iTunes Pass is available for download as it is available on iTunes. To download, connect to iTunes and select "Check for Available Downloads" (Search for available downloads) the "Store" (store) in iTunes 8 (or "Check for Purchases" (Check for Purchases) the "Store" in iTunes 7 ). Any new content available as part of an iTunes download Pass may be purchased at the time. The buyer must connect to iTunes and download any content from the iTunes Left Pass in the course of 90 days at the end of the Pass Period (or such other period as may be specified in the purchase page), after which it is possible that the remaining content available for download as part of the purchase from the iTunes Pass.

juniormaj

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Newbury Park, CA
I thought there must be some new feature being added to the store because when I bought some music an hour ago I had to agree to the store terms again. They always do that when the terms change.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
odd. for the depeche mode album, there are only 14 tracks showing ($13.86), yet the pass is $18.99. i wonder what else will be included?? the TOS do say the pass price won't exceed fair market value.

sketchy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2003
Richmond VA
odd. for the depeche mode album, there are only 14 tracks showing ($13.86), yet the pass is $18.99. i wonder what else will be included?? the TOS do say the pass price won't exceed fair market value.

anything thay add to the store between the 24th (today) and June 16th. so remixes, new singles, videos, and possibly other stuff.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple and EMI Music Launch 'iTunes Pass' Short-Term Subscriptions

EMI Music announced today that they have launched the first 'iTunes Pass', providing automatic downloads of all releases from a given artist within a specific time period. The first artist available under this program is Depeche Mode, with the current iTunes Pass [iTunes] available at a cost of $18.99 and good through June 16th, 2009.
The first iTunes Pass debuts today in conjunction with Depeche Mode's forthcoming 12th studio album, Sounds of the Universe, to be released on April 21 in the US. Fans who sign up starting today get the alternative/dance pioneers' new single, Wrong, as well as the Black Light Odyssey Dub Remix of the new track Oh Well. They will also receive the new album on its street date plus great music and video exclusives before and after the album's release over the next fifteen weeks. The Depeche Mode iTunes Pass can be purchased starting today for $18.99.
According to Apple's information document on iTunes Pass [iTunes], all music is delivered in DRM-free iTunes Plus format, and while the contents of a given pass are not necessarily fully outlined at the time of purchase and are subject to change over time, the price of the pass will not exceed the value of the contents offered. Apple also discloses on their iTunes Store Terms of Service that, unless otherwise specified, all content must be downloaded within 90 days after the end of the pass period.

Article Link: Apple and EMI Music Launch 'iTunes Pass' Short-Term Subscriptions

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
so i take it this is only for pre-specified music, not an $18.99 pass to the entire iTMS . . . i think i'll stick to my personal choices in music purchasing, thanks.

edit:
re-read the article. ok, so from a given artist. that could be interesting depending on which artists are chosen for future pass thingies. as for current artist, not so much interested.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I have decided to not purchase it. If the only difference the the music purchasing, I would rather stick with the regular free iTunes. I might decide to pay $20 if Apple comes out with a version of iTunes with more features though.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
Shucks. Got my hopes up... I saw 'iTunes Pass' and a cheer went through my head... later to be disappointed. When I had my Zune when they first came out, thats the one thing I loved about it: The Zune Pass

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Hooray! They finally managed to take something as simple as buying music in iTunes and make it thoroughly confusing.

I agree that Apple has made a big mistake. I still dont even fully understand what this service even is yet. They shouldn't make it so confusing.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
purchase iTunes? Why isnt it free?

I have decided to not purchase it. If the only difference the the music purchasing, I would rather stick with the regular free iTunes. I might decide to pay $20 if Apple comes out with a version of iTunes with more features though.

Have you actually read the first post?

You are not buying iTunes, you are just buying a pass for a series of releases from the group Depeche Mode.

mode101

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007

This is more like a season pass for television shows, not a different version of iTunes. Depeche mode has a new album, singles etc. coming out over the next few months. This just seems like a way to get everything for one price. I'll wait to see if they include any exclusives, or if it's just the stuff you can get at the record stores, since I'd rather have a physical copy, anyway. And yes, I'm a huge Depeche Mode fan.

brygruver

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
This is not some special version of iTunes, nor is it a subscription.

You pay a pre-determined price, you get everything that the artist releases between a certain time period.

In this particular case, Depeche Mode, $18.99, everything released from now until June 16th, 2009. (Including albums, singles, videos, etc.)

If you don't like Depeche Mode, this isn't for you. Wait until your favorite artist has an offer like this.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I don't get it. $19 for a CD? Is there more? What gives?

You are not just getting the CD. You will also receive other music and videos associated with the album.

It tells you in the first post. :rolleyes:

The first iTunes Pass debuts today in conjunction with Depeche Mode's forthcoming 12th studio album, Sounds of the Universe, to be released on April 21 in the US. Fans who sign up starting today get the alternative/dance pioneers' new single, Wrong, as well as the Black Light Odyssey Dub Remix of the new track Oh Well. They will also receive the new album on its street date plus great music and video exclusives before and after the album's release over the next fifteen weeks. The Depeche Mode iTunes Pass can be purchased starting today for $18.99.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So let's see... If I buy the Pass now I can pay full price in advance for something before I even know if I'll like it or if I don't buy the Pass I can pay the same price later after hearing it first. I'll have to think about this for a while.

I don't see why I'd want a pass. If I buy it I get the have the album on it's "street date" but I can get that without a pass. That's why they call it a "street date" I don't get anything early. I don't get a break on the price and I don't get anything I can't get without the pass. Oh, but I do get to pay in advance.

I think I must be missing something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.