Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched an "Enhanced Edition" for A Game of Thrones [Direct Link], the first book in George R.R. Martin's fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire (via The Guardian). The new digital edition marks the 20th anniversary of the release of the novel, and its four subsequently published sequels are also coming soon in the new remade format: A Clash of Kings (October 27), A Storm of Swords (December 15), A Feast for Crows (February 2), and A Dance with Dragons (March 30).

song-of-ice-and-fire-ibooks.jpg

The enhanced editions offer interactive maps, author notes from Martin, glossaries, family trees, and illustrations that "add to the adventure, whether you're new to the books or speak fluent Dothraki." For fans still waiting for the sixth book in the series, The Winds of Winter, each enhanced edition comes with an excerpt from the upcoming novel that was previously published on Martin's website.

game-of-thrones-ibooks-2.jpg
"We're now entering a new period in the history of publishing," said Martin, announcing the new edition. "The digital book gives readers the ability to experience all this rich secondary material that had not been possible before. These enhanced editions, available only on iBooks, include sigils and family trees and glossaries. Anything that confuses you, anything you want to know more about, it's right there at your fingertips. It's an amazing next step in the world of books."
In a video on the iBooks page for the new collection, Martin calls his partnership with Apple "an amazing next step in the world of books," thanks to the interactivity infused in each edition that can help explain the sometimes overwhelming nature of his novels. Fans interested can purchase A Game of Thrones for $8.99 today [Direct Link], and pre-order the other four books for $11.99 each.

Article Link: Apple and George R.R. Martin Debut 'A Game of Thrones' Enhanced Edition iBook

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
It looks cool but….as someone who has purchased and read the first three books, it's not enough to entice me to buy them again. I love the Game of Thrones books and TV shows but……the books are a little like the Wheel of Time series: never ending, and too long between books.

Reactions: bigzee

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
These were a good read initially, but not something I'd likely read again, and definitely not buy again. What WOULD be nice though is, oh, I don't know... the next book in the series!

Reactions: oneMadRssn

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm really, really hoping there's a little pop-up next to Jon Snow's name, that always displays "Knows nothing" when you press it. Every single time his name is mentioned in the novels.

I don't think I'd get bored of that. :oops:

RichTeer

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
Kelowna, BC, Canada
I've held off buying these books until the whole series has been published (so that the artwork of the covers of form the same theme; I'm kind of anal like that!), and now I'm really glad. These enhanced editions look really cool!

Reactions: bigzee and jjm3

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The interactive map feature sounds really cool. It would be cool if the map was a standalone app, so I can follow along on the map on my iPhone when I want, but not have to read the actual text on a backlit LCD screen.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Ummmm.... you were pleased watching her get raped? Not sure you thought that post through
You realize that one of the most central themes in Game of Thrones is rape and violence against women, right? Apparently, a legion of millions of GoT fanatics (readers, TV series viewers, gamers) don't seem to be bothered by such adult themes. Go figure.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Until there's upgrade pricing they'll get $0 from me. No way am I paying full price again for the books I already bought.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Hopefully this vile post glorifying rape will be removed ASAP. Sad, but revealing that there are people who enjoy watching rape scenes and brag about it.
Huh..? I read it as criticism of the series for lack of realism.

That is, to spell it out: You don't normally fall in love in people you get raped by.

Reactions: srminton

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
Check out the release dates, just like the originals, the gaps between releases grows progressively longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.