Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmasters

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2009
Nice try, but in this example I am free to sell through other services ie; Gumtree, FB marketplace, etc
And Apple is not stopping developers from selling elsewhere but they sure as hell shouldn't be forced to subsidize and provide distribution just like Enay would not do for your other market places. This entitlement of free generation doesn't understand the first thing about capitalism.

pmasters

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2009
Umm this has nothing to do with fees.. It has to do with using 3rd party pay systems and not just $pple 100% of the time.
Actually it absolutely does have to do with fees because developers want to get out of paying those fees and keep them all for themselves.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
But if a developer using an outside payment system then Apple gets NOTHING other than the $99 developer tools fee. Thanks for making the argument for me.
We're both making assumption but $99 per year is quite a lot, considering there are more than 20 million developers out there. Don't you think?
Consumer application in the old days (pre-subscription) costed between $50-100, one time price. That alone could be a software business alone.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
I've been using my credit cards all over the world from major companies to mom and pop to street vendors and guess what? Everything turns out ok. No scams.
That wasn’t what I was talking about. Your reply is mind boggling. Street vendors aren’t apps. Third party app stores with their own payment method and devs half way across the world can take money, steal money, and disappear. What will you do, get an international lawyer to track down anonymous engineers?

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
We're both making assumption but $99 per year is quite a lot, considering there are more than 20 million developers out there. Don't you think?
Consumer application in the old days (pre-subscription) costed between $50-100, one time price. That alone could be a software business alone.
I would imagine supporting and maintaining full stack OS would be on orders of magnitude greater than supporting and maintaining one application. Besides, complexities and wages have increased quite a lot since the good old days.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I've been using my credit cards all over the world from major companies to mom and pop to street vendors and guess what? Everything turns out ok. No scams.
My spouse used a debit card to make an online purchase. That action nearly shuttered a mortgage as the website was hacked. So there is something to be said for trusting who has ones cc info.

SreeXYZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2021
Apple charges 30% Paypal charging 2%. Should be up to users to decide the payment option .

In my app, I will give two options for my users as below,

Option1 : If you prefer external payment gateways ( such as Paypal ), Charge will be 100$ charge+ 2% fee = 102 $
Options2 : If you prefer Apple payment system, Charge will be 100$ Charge + 30% fee = 130$

User should have option to select one of these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.