Apple and Google - iPhone strategy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emotion, Oct 9, 2007.

1. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Sorry for the login site but this is an extremely interesting article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/08/b...?_r=4&pagewanted=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin

This throws up many theories as to what is going on.

I don't think Google have an OS/browser in development but that they are working on providing an alternative network that's available for free if you accept the ads.

I think they are aiming at iPhones as the platform of choice here.

Wild speculation I know but interesting nonetheless.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

2. needthephone macrumors 6502a

3. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

I'm not certain how Apple and Google converge here. If Google is developing an OS for mobile devices, I would imagine there would be some inherent competition with Apple as OSX is Apples mobile/handheld platform. Perhaps Google will package the Apps and offer an OSX version for iPhone user? Time will tell and whatever Google is doing, it won't limit it's technology to Apple exclusively.

4. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I look at it more like Google and Apple against MS. Kind of the same way I look at OSX and Linux vs. MS. Maybe I'm just a little anti-MS.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Here's the article for those not wishing to register.

6. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

This is a very simple equation...

Apple is a hardware manufacturer. Google is emerging as a content provider with services like Google Maps and Google Video.

The thing about introducing new products in the internet world is that content, not bandwidth, drives demand. The DSL providers discovered this in the early 90s when RBOC's (Regional Bell Operating Companies, the "Baby Bells" spun off from AT&T) expanded their network topology to support a tremendous amount of bandwidth for which they had over-forecasted demand. Those networks then subsequently shrank at the turn of the century and are finally beginning to see a resurgence thanks to the content proliferation finally starting to catch up with multimedia driving the demand for broadband services.

Apple used the same model when partnering with record companies to facilitate the iTunes Music Store which in turn increased demand for the iPod and grew a huge market where virtually none had existed. This model has proven to be hugely successful for Apple, in no small part because Steve Jobs is a firm believer in the teachings of Alan Kay who once famously said, "People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." Fortunately, Apple are experts at providing an unparalleled user experience through robust UI development. Coupled with the functionality of a Google engine and access to tremendous stores of content via Google's services, Apple will provide Google more exposure in their goal of becoming a multifaceted content provider and Google will provide Apple with the content that will drive huge demand for the products Apple has in the pipeline at this time.

Regarding the disaggregation of carriers, the carriers do not yet understand that they're really not that good at being content providers. They excel at providing what we in telecom call "mere conduit"... just the pipe, not the content... But they're rather limited in their ability to stay ahead of what content and content-driven services will be the next big thing, and due to their sheer size they're frankly not very good at agile deployment and turning on a dime to respond to new trends. So carriers need to be open to a content intermediary concept where someone like google provides a window to all kinds of content through an open standard which allows rapid deployment of content and content portals across the net. Youtube has spawned tons of content with absolutely no licensing fees related to them (we're talking original content like starwars boy, etc.) but self-generating huge buzz and demand.

With so many more contributors being content creators in their own right, the other carriers could learn from Apple's model because it involves fewer negotiations, less licensing.. it's like one giant AppleTV across the internet where all they do is provide the media bridge and we, the users of the internet, create the content... in many cases we ARE the content. The supply and variety is agile as the demand because its the same bunch of users who are both creating and filling the niches in a manner that can be likened with Just-in-Time manufacturing/distribution... If you can think of it, someone will post it within seconds.