MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple and MTV announced today the addition of several TV shows to the iTunes Music Store, with content from Spike TV, Nick at Nite, TV Land, Logo, MTV, and The N.

Included are full seasons of these shows: Blade: The Series, TNA: iMPACT, Disorderly Conduct, Sit Down Comedy with David Steinberg, Fatherhood, Hi-Jinks, Noah's Arc, U.S. of ANT, Wisecrack, Viva La Bam, and Beyond the Break.

"MTV Networks' programming has been a hit with customers since launching on iTunes earlier this year," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of iTunes. "iTunes is the world's most popular online video store with over 35 million videos sold, and we continue to expand the catalog of great television content now with over 150 network and cable programs available."

Online content from MTV is not exclusive to Apple, as MTV teamed with Microsoft for music distribution via the URGE Music Store.

avensis087

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
i think it's interesting that MTV will continue to offer content through iTMS while they have a competing music store in Urge. I guess Urge only offers music (i haven't checked it out at all) and all of their TV shows can still go through iTMS.

mr

Comment

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Doctor Q said:

I know the drill, but perhaps the Page 2 tag line should be changed so as to confuse newbies.

(WildCowboy manages to get a news thread moved to Site & Forum Feedback...)

Picture 1.png

Comment

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah, and now it would be nice to see MTV return the favor and allow people using Macs to view their entire website. I hate that Windows DRM BS. We don't lock people out from viewing things in QuickTime.

Comment

macaddict06

macrumors regular
rockandrule said:
Yeah, and now it would be nice to see MTV return the favor and allow people using Macs to view their entire website. I hate that Windows DRM BS. We don't lock people out from viewing things in QuickTime.

Here here to that! I find it so stupid that MTV is so two faced. On the air it is all about embracing the iPod generation - white sleekness, new age sounds, iPods and the culture that that incorporates.. on their website, they are totally opposite to that - you more or less have to have a Winblows machine and sell your soul to Billy G for access rights in order to use it. Although, at the end of the day it doesn't matter since most of the stuff on the site is übermaterialistic garbage (stated from an 18 year old - not a grumpy 55 year old father).

If it boosts AAPL, fine. If it doesn't, well I dislike MTV so it balances.

Comment

deral

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Kahuku, Hawai'i
I'm quite happy about the new LOGO shows. I read in Advocate Magazine a few weeks ago that VIACOM would add more MTV branded shows. WOO HOO, now we can watch Noah's Arc.

Comment

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Ahh, yes. The competitor to iTMS partnering with iTMS in order to suceed - or rather stay afloat.

And am I the only one who finds the name URGE rather strange? This is the MTV crowd which thrives on toilet humor. I have already talked to some college students who say the name makes them think of taking a dump.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
greenmonsterman said:
Right... but why is "MTV shows on iTunes" page 2 while "CBS shows on iTunes" is page 1? Linky

Not that I have any love for MTV. It just seems a bit inconsistent is all.
It can be inconsistent because we have to read minds to guess how much interest there will be in a particular news story. We do discuss it before posting. And there's a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy involved, because a story on Page 2 generates less posts just by being less visible.

In the case you are referring to, the CBS story was about a new deal for putting CBS shows into the iTunes Music Store for the first time, while this story was about the addition of new content to the MTV collection of shows already in the store.

Comment

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Regarding (P)URGE vs ITMS, Apple did a great job of getting to market first with huge catalog and an enormous installed base of iPods. While Microsoft should have been able to win this sector easy with their 95% installed base share of PCs, they just may have missed the boat. I don't know many (any?) people who haven't had iTunes on their WinPCs for a long time already.

Comment

macaddict06

macrumors regular
netdog said:
I don't know many (any?) people who haven't had iTunes on their WinPCs for a long time already.
I wish I could agree with you here, but my experience has been the opposite. I have had to convince many people that although iTunes has the iTMS, you are under no obligation to spend anything. Even still, people told me that they weren't going to give out a CC# to iTunes, which is retarded because you don't need to give it. In the Winblows world there is still a bit of uncertainty, bred mostly out of ignorance (or unwillingness to change), regarding iTunes and the iTMS.

Comment

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
macaddict06 said:
I wish I could agree with you here, but my experience has been the opposite. I have had to convince many people that although iTunes has the iTMS, you are under no obligation to spend anything. Even still, people told me that they weren't going to give out a CC# to iTunes, which is retarded because you don't need to give it. In the Winblows world there is still a bit of uncertainty, bred mostly out of ignorance (or unwillingness to change), regarding iTunes and the iTMS.

I was a little more successful in getting the majority of my friends on WinPC to switch to iTunes back when it first came out in 03 because of the ability to share music over the networks in the dorms. By the time fall of 04 rolled around there were always about 50 or so shared music folders whenever I was listening to iTunes.

Comment

abeyk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2006
Houston, TX
greenmonsterman said:
Right... but why is "MTV shows on iTunes" page 2 while "CBS shows on iTunes" is page 1? Linky

Not that I have any love for MTV. It just seems a bit inconsistent is all.

its just not as important

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.