Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced it will establish a Center for Excellence at Lane Tech College Prep in Chicago, which will serve as a hub for teachers at Chicago Public Schools to learn and subsequently teach Apple's Everyone Can Code curriculum.

apple-everyone-can-code-800x436.jpg

Apple is developing the hub in partnership with Northwestern University, whose professors will lead the sessions. Teachers will gain expertise in Everyone Can Code, a free program designed to help students learn how to code, and they'll also have the opportunity to be trained on App Development with Swift.

In addition to the free professional learning sessions, Apple says educators will also have access to in-school coaching and mentorship opportunities to ensure they are comfortable teaching the complete Everyone Can Code curriculum. Apple will outfit the Center for Excellence with iPads, Macs, and accessories.

Apple CEO Tim Cook:
Teachers make a world of difference in their students' lives, and we owe so much of our own success to their creativity, hard work and dedication. At Apple, we believe every student should have the opportunity to learn to code and we are thrilled to help provide new learning opportunities for Chicago-area teachers so they can bring coding into their classrooms.
David Figlio, Dean of Northwestern's School of Education and Social Policy:
We strive to bring Northwestern's research, teaching, and service missions together in our local communities to make lives better in our hometowns of Chicago, Evanston and beyond. By collaborating with visionary companies like Apple and the education experts in the Chicago Public Schools, we have the chance to do something transformative for Chicago and the world.
This effort is an extension of an existing collaboration between Apple and Chicago to bring coding opportunities to the city's nearly 500,000 students through a citywide expansion of Everyone Can Code.

Apple hosted an education-themed event at Lane Tech College Prep on Tuesday, where it introduced a new 9.7-inch iPad with Apple Pencil support, a new Schoolwork app for teachers and students, and more.

Article Link: Apple and Northwestern University Partner to Train Chicago Teachers on 'Everyone Can Code' Curriculum

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Not sure how equipping a prep school and Northwestern University helps "everyone code". People who can afford to get into either place already have the resources to code or do many other things they want. Wouldn't this effort be more impactful in an inner city school district or an Indian reservation somewhere?

Reactions: ZebraDude

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Apple have 2 products crying out to be re-purposed for the education market - Mac Mini and iPad Mini - they are missing the boat so much on this!!

Mac Mini with bundled keyboard and mouse, Xcode pre installed, year of developer account access included for new accounts. No, no, no, iPads and Apple pencil for all! How does Apple Pencil support help students code?! Even sticking with the iPad theme, smart keyboard support would have been a better feature!

Last edited:

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Not sure how equipping a prep school and Northwestern University helps "everyone code". People who can afford to get into either place already have the resources to code or do many other things they want. Wouldn't this effort be more impactful in an inner city school district or an Indian reservation somewhere?

The program is for the Chicago Public Schools district, which includes the inner city schools.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Hope they bring it to the Denver-Boulder area.

And, for that matter, everywhere that wants it.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Everyone can code, just not on the iPad that we want students to use.

WHy not? There are several ways to code on an iPad, not even including Apple's apps.

Apple have 2 products crying out to be re-purposed for the education market - Mac Mini and iPad Mini - they are missing the boat so much on this!!

Mac Mini with bundled keyboard and mouse, Xcode pre installed, year of developer account access included for new accounts. No, no, no, iPads and Apple pencil for all! How does Apple Pencil support help students code?! Even sticking with the iPad theme, keyboard support would have been a better feature!

You mean mouse support?

Msivyparrot

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
South Africa
Please Apple care about coding? Not a chance, if Apple was serious, then there would be 10 000 video tutorials, the code work work on laptops and ipads going back until 2000.

This is just a pathetic attempt to fool people, Apple has never cared, and will never care about education, about quality products, it is simply beyond what Apple is about...If anyone says this is a great idea, they are sadly mistaken, a $300 ipad, if Apple was serious, this would be a $50 ipad, it can be done, if the ipad is for coding, does it need to have all the fancy gadgets, does it need cellular???

Please this attempt was a stupid idea Apple, get real!!

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA

Apple today announced it will establish a Center for Excellence at Lane Tech College Prep in Chicago, which will serve as a hub for teachers at Chicago Public Schools to learn and subsequently teach Apple's Everyone Can Code curriculum.

apple-everyone-can-code-800x436.jpg

Apple is developing the hub in partnership with Northwestern University, whose professors will lead the sessions. Teachers will gain expertise in Everyone Can Code, a free program designed to help students learn how to code, and they'll also have the opportunity to be trained on App Development with Swift.

In addition to the free professional learning sessions, Apple says educators will also have access to in-school coaching and mentorship opportunities to ensure they are comfortable teaching the complete Everyone Can Code curriculum. Apple will outfit the Center for Excellence with iPads, Macs, and accessories.

Apple CEO Tim Cook:David Figlio, Dean of Northwestern's School of Education and Social Policy:This effort is an extension of an existing collaboration between Apple and Chicago to bring coding opportunities to the city's nearly 500,000 students through a citywide expansion of Everyone Can Code.

Apple hosted an education-themed event at Lane Tech College Prep on Tuesday, where it introduced a new 9.7-inch iPad with Apple Pencil support, a new Schoolwork app for teachers and students, and more.

Article Link: Apple and Northwestern University Partner to Train Chicago Teachers on 'Everyone Can Code' Curriculum

As a public school teacher, middle school that is, this a good idea in theory. But let’s be real, districts already have little to no money, with most of the money they have in Title I government money. This will work with private schools and more financially blessed school districts.

Heck, even as a teacher it’s hard for me to afford most Apple products these days.

adrianm2000

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012

Mac Mini with bundled keyboard and mouse, Xcode pre installed, year of developer account access included for new accounts. No, no, no, iPads and Apple pencil for all! How does Apple Pencil support help students code?! Even sticking with the iPad theme, keyboard support would have been a better feature!

You can’t code directly on devices. Xcode - which you need to design, compile, and test your app - requires a Mac. You need the device to install the app on to test features that you can’t in the simulator, like the camera or Bluetooth.

Reactions: mi7chy and Altis

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
What's the point? More and more coding jobs are heading overseas. Software development is a shrinking field in the US. You want some career advice kids? Specialize in something that requires a person on site to perform the work. Doctors, lawyers, accountants, service industry...all jobs with futures.

Software development? Very little future as long as companies believe they can hire someone in India for 20% of the cost of a US developer and get the same level of service.

Reactions: Morgenland

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Ok, I don't understand your comment then. Isn't there already keyboard support? Or did you mean include free keyboards? Typing on a keyboard on my iPad right now, why I'm asking.

Missed a word.... ''smart'' keyboard support, or a form of smart keyboard developed primarily with the education market in mind. Bluetooth keyboards I suppose could be used, but having used a Logitech one from the iPad 2 through to the Air 2, and then got both smart keyboards for both of my iPad Pro's I think the latter offers a far better experience.

In terms of management a smart keyboard would be easier for teachers - no pairing and helps to prop the device. Last thing you want is teachers managing connections and batteries for all manner of external keyboards.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
What's the point? More and more coding jobs are heading overseas. Software development is a shrinking field in the US. You want some career advice kids? Specialize in something that requires a person on site to perform the work. Doctors, lawyers, accountants, service industry...all jobs with futures.

Software development? Very little future as long as companies believe they can hire someone in India for 20% of the cost of a US developer and get the same level of service.

If they get everyone into coding, the wages will plummet to dirt and Apple can profit. ;)

If they really want students to learn, get them some Raspberry Pies (or similar) so they can code, learn Linux, learn electronics, interface with all kinds of things and APIs, etc.

Msivyparrot

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
South Africa
Apple for whatever reason has not been very clever with this project, the whole concept of Swift and everyone can code...Well I want to learn how to code, and the instructions and the material is just confusing, there is just no logic or clear pathway for folks older than 6 years old...

The fact Swift is locked to an operating system from 2018 is stupid, code is code, surely there are folks at the spaceship that can format the code for older devices, the problem is Tim has no idea there are countries outside of China, and the USA, every day I wonder is Apple a US or a Chinese company...It has grand ideas but then acts totally communist about the the apps.

I agree the costs of entry into everyone can code, it is cheaper to play a round of flog with his majesty at his resort than to buy a mac laptop and an ipad, then you need an iphone, a watch, and so on...

Everyone can code is just code for everyone can be fleeced....Apple thought it was a good idea lumping this under education when most educators cannot afford the devices...Really Apple....try harder...it is not that difficult to create a $50 ipad for education and coding, along with a $300 laptop!!!

Reactions: harriska2

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
Missed a word.... ''smart'' keyboard support, or a form of smart keyboard developed primarily with the education market in mind. Bluetooth keyboards I suppose could be used, but having used a Logitech one from the iPad 2 through to the Air 2, and then got both smart keyboards for both of my iPad Pro's I think the latter offers a far better experience.

In terms of management a smart keyboard would be easier for teachers - no pairing and helps to prop the device. Last thing you want is teachers managing connections and batteries for all manner of external keyboards.
The new logitech keyboard announced to go with the iPad isn't a bluetooth keyboard. It's got a smart connector to the case which passes through the lightening port, and the lightening port itself is pass-through to the case. The keyboard is detachable and held on by strong magnets to the case.

Sure it's as ugly as sin, but teachers wouldn't have to deal with pairing. Whether or not the keyboard is as good / smart as the iPad Pro one's we'll have to see.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
American kids, by and large, don't seem to care about coding, so this is a wasted effort.
!!!!!!!
Yes...I used to teach in Chicago Public Schools....its hard enough just to get "students" to show up...then stop them from getting high in the washroom....and worse...I was assaulted once by strangulation..it would be easier to teach horses to count with their hooves. Forget coding...how about fixing High Sierra??????

Attachments

• pee wee herman.jpg
    pee wee herman.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: T Coma

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
If they really want students to learn, get them some Raspberry Pies (or similar) so they can code, learn Linux, learn electronics, interface with all kinds of things and APIs, etc.

Students can get much more real world experience out of a $35 Raspberry Pi than they ever will with the $300 iPad.

And, why are they trying to reinvent https://code.org/ and https://hourofcode.com?

Reactions: fairuz and Altis

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
My sincere request to the educators of this nation and Apple, please stop this nonsense. Just because you can write code on laptops, doesn't diminish the challenges it comes with. I don't see Ford, GM helping teachers so that everybody can build cars. There is difference between and auto engineer vs auto mechanic. Similarly, there is a difference between coder vs software engineer. Just learning to code is not enough. It creates a false sense of security. Please, just stop!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.