Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and Paramount have discussed bundling their TV streaming services at a discount, according to a new report by The Wall Street Journal.

paramount-plus-logo.jpg

The companies have talked about offering a combination of Paramount+ and Apple TV+ that would cost less than subscribing to both services separately, according to people familiar with the discussions. The discussions are in their early stages, and it is unclear what shape a bundle could take, they said.

The report notes that the discussions between Apple and Paramount come at a time when competitive pressures have seen services increase their prices to bring them to profitability, while also having to deal with customers increasingly canceling subscriptions or switching services.

Apple in October announced that it was increasing the prices of some of its subscription-based services, including Apple TV+, which went from $6.99 per month to $9.99 per month, a $3 rise. For those who subscribe to Apple TV+ on an annual basis, the price has increased from $69 per year to $99 per year accordingly.

The rationale behind offering multiple services as part of one package is that it is thought to reduce the likelihood that subscribers will cancel on any given month. The strategy has already been put in place by Netflix and Max, which are being bundled together as part of a deal with Verizon.

Article Link: Apple and Paramount Considering Discounted TV+ Streaming Bundle

• Haha
Reactions: iLuddite

vercordio

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
while also having to deal with customers increasingly canceling subscriptions or switching services.

I'm interested in this part. Reed Hastings famously implied Netflix could charge its customers any amount and they'd pay it. With the recent price hikes, I haven't seen any data demonstrating consumer reaction (if any) in the form of cancellations.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I'm interested in this part. Reed Hastings famously implied Netflix could charge its customers any amount and they'd pay it. With the recent price hikes, I haven't seen any data demonstrating consumer reaction (if any) in the form of cancellations.

I actually cancelled my Netflix. There is nothing interesting to watch while charging me more money. So I said goodbye.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
To me, this is nothing more that consumer subscription burnout. It was bound to happen and my guess is, we might see more of these in the future. Also people are having to deal with inflation and higher costs for pretty much everything, so the first things to go are luxury things, people can do without.

Wizard_of_Woz

Suspended
Nov 15, 2023
You can say that about all the streaming services.
No need to deflect. Also, I don't remember getting Hulu or Netflix for over 18 months for free. If you did, please show me the deal you got. Oh, and I'm not talking about getting it free from a cell phone carrier or something similar, I'm talking about getting it free for 18+ months from Netflix or Hulu. I'll wait.

Last edited:

PotentPeas

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2023

I think there was a time when this was true, when Netflix was the go-to streaming service. But now that there are so many streaming options, it might be pretty easy to drop Netflix (at least for a period of time) and not feel like you are missing anything.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68030
Sep 29, 2008
No need to deflect. Also, I don't remember getting Hulu or Netflix for over 18 months for free. If you did, please show me the deal you got. Oh, and I'm not talking about getting it free from a cell phone carrier or something similar, I'm talking about getting it free for 18+ months from Netflix or Hulu. I'll wait.
Hulu isn't free but there have been multiple Black Friday deals to get the ad-supported version for $1 per month.

Netflix has definitely gone away from free trials or inexpensive options. It is greatly overpriced now.

Edit: I have Paramount+. I think I got a deal for $20 for 16 months or so ad-free. I use it more than any other streaming service other than Disney+.

Last edited:

rforno

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
Anyone else notice that these various bundles (eg, Black Friday 'deals') were pretty much only for ad-filled tiers? It's like the industry is deliberately pushing cord-cutters back into the cable model -- paying for content that also includes ads on TOP of what you're paying for to begin wtih.

Wonder if Apple would go along with that approach or if they'll force an ad-free package to help ensure a 'premium' Apple experience?

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
This may sound crazy, but there should be one company that provides physical internet infrastructure, and all the ISPs should use that and compete on service.

There should be one company whose specialty is only providing the CDNs and an excellent client interface and all the supporting technology, and all the content providers should use this compete on the quality of their content.

I think John Lennon wrote a song about this.

Reactions: Ajungi

RemedyRabbit

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2014
The rationale behind offering multiple services as part of one package is that it is thought to reduce the likelihood that subscribers will cancel on any given month
This is the only weapon subscribers have against price hikes and advertising creep. So far it’s been nice and easy to switch a service off and on as you like.

As all the streaming services seem to be looking for ways to be more shareholder friendly (ie less consumer friendly) I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they move to lock people in to annual contracts next. First it’ll be a discounted rate for if you subscribe for the full year, then eventually they’ll phase out the monthly subscription option altogether.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2015
This may sound crazy, but there should be one company that provides physical internet infrastructure, and all the ISPs should use that and compete on service.

There should be one company whose specialty is only providing the CDNs and an excellent client interface and all the supporting technology, and all the content providers should use this compete on the quality of their content.

I think John Lennon wrote a song about this.

That one company that provides the infrastructure should be municipal, and everyone can lease it.

I'm lucky that I live in an area with a co-op fiber ISP; they aren't government run, and aren't allowed to make a profit. I know it's unusual, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.