Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seabass069

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Since Real Networks just won a major multi-million dollar settlement from Microsoft, wouldn't it be wise for Real Networks to let Apple buy them out and come up with media software that stops the windows media player in it's tracks.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
seabass069 said:
Since Real Networks just won a major multi-million dollar settlement from Microsoft, wouldn't it be wise for Real Networks to let Apple buy them out and come up with media software that stops the windows media player in it's tracks.

I don't know what real has to offer apple. real's software is awful in my experience. The only advantage apple would get is being able to play real player files in quicktime, but I don't know that that's a good thing. Real doesn't seem to be used as much as it was. And apple will never be able to compete with Windows media player really anyway. The problem with apple isn't technology, its windows having a pre-installed user base by bundling the media player with windows. For apple to compete, they probably need to strike up more deals to get them prominently displayed, and perhaps come up with more and better authoring tools to make using quicktime easy for web sites to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.